How durable should your computer be?

So, I spend a bit of time on YouTube, and sometimes spend some time watching how to videos and the like.

Now, I won’t lie, I can’t stand Apple products. I have a personal reason for that and it may be unreasonable, but the video below seems to confirm my bias.

But, knowing I have a bias, I do have to ask, what do can we expect from labtops and other electronics when it comes to durability (since I two young children, I am interested in this topic)?Are Apple products that far out of the norm when it comes to durability?

Looking through the history of this particular You Tube Channel, it doesn’t seem like the owner has a lot of positive things to say about Apple to begin with, so this might all just be confirmation bias on my part.

Or Apple Users are just people more interested in fashion rather than function.

Really you’re going to ask a serious question and then insult Apple users? Yes, its all about fashion, nothing to do with preferring high quality hardware, a different OS, and great software that is Mac only.

Staingate: there was a flaw in the antiglare coating they used that some people had problems with. Maybe some people were using Windex on their screens? Who knows? Apple fixed the problem.

I have owned several Mac laptops, iMacs, and PCs (desk and laptop) over the years. Both low end Dells and high end machines like Falcon NW. Hands down I have had FAR less problems with any Mac I have owned. My current iMac is the first time I have ever had to take a machine in for repairs (3rd party ram problem they claim). Not to say I haven’t had minor little problems with Macs, but nothing worse than any PC I have owned.

Yes it is a serious question, because my experience with Apple has never been good. I really don’t have a clue about it.

So why start off insulting people who like a different company than you do?

What Apple products have you owned or even used for more than an hour?

I know, every time anything Apple comes up, you like to tell us how much you hate them.

I am sorry you felt my bad experience with Apple was an insult. Not sure why you would feel that way about it.

Ummm…

I’ll say this, my Apple phones have far outlasted and outperformed my wife’s Androids. I’ve got a 13 year old iPod that’s still kicking. As far as hardware, theirs always has been more robust in my experience.

There Labtops cost more, so less, and are known to signal wealth and taste to others. It’s a legitimate question.

I always thought they had quality parts, so would last longer as a value proposition, but recently, I have wondered if that is the case.

I really starting to think you have never used an Apple product, you just hate them and the people who use them because of some preconceived notions you have.

There are well-documented issues with the keyboards in the new MacBooks. Even accounting for “I hatez Apple” a few friends have had their MacBooks in for multiple repairs on the keyboards. However, The Usual Suspects (Gruber, Arment, et al) have decided that the keyboard is the area they decided to prove that they aren’t a bunch of Apple fanboys and have chosen this hill to die on.

My 2016 MBP has something under one of the command keys I haven’t bothered with fixing.Now, the same laptop also took a 5’ drop from onto a concrete floor and the only damage is a pretty decent scuff mark. So, for that one it wins durable. My work Lenovo I would have required a dust bin to clean it up.

Maybe because your entire post was "I hate Apple, and look, this YouTube video backs up my confirmation bias?

Apple laptops still (at least on the edges) have higher end features that Windows users “don’t care about”; so ask a Windows user about high resolution DPI screens and they say “oh, 1920 x 1080 is fine for me at 15”) because they either can’t tell or don’t understand what a high DPI screen is like in practice. Apple iMacs also tend to have the best screens available as far as color gamut goes for All In Ones (there are better stand alone screens now).

OTOH recently Apple’s release schedule is so long and so frustrating that at this point on a pure performance/dollar ratio Apple has fallen far behind; if you have a computing task that’s compute heavy Apple is increasingly a dead end. But that problem is not quite a durability issue and more a frustrating Apple Refuses to Update Products for 2-4 years issue.

That said because Apple leadership is sort of nonexistent now and the best they can think of is apparently making things ever thinner, durability has definitely suffered since the SJ era. My Macbook 12 has a non-functional shift key, and even my iMac’s wireless keyboard has just broken one of the arrow keys. That they have sacrificed repairability and durability for thinness is starting to be a problem for them (to the point there is a class action lawsuit just filed over the keyboards).

However whether Apples have greater than normal repair issues is hard for me to say.

I am really confused on the new keyboard. I had the first 12" MacBook for 2 years, before I gave it to my niece and haven’t had any keyboard problems. My nephew, who is extremely hard on computers (he uses them as a plate for instance), bought a MacBook Pro last Christmas and he hasn’t had any problems with the keyboard.

There is definitely an issue there, but in my little world, it hasn’t been a problem.

The OP was obviously a dickish post looking for validation of their confirmation bias that Mac users are technical know-nothings who overpay for form over function. One could do the reverse and wonder why The Poors who have to use PCs put up with terrible trackpads. Oh yes, their form factor is so shitty the PC OEMs have fallen over each other aping it for years with only the exception attempting to make anything that looks slightly different.

Yes, there’s a premium but until recently my unibody Macbook Air/Pro devices have lasted longer than comparable PC laptops.

The vast majority of people who buy $500-1000 PC laptops don’t receive the build quality of $1000-2500+ PCs like the more comparable Lenovo Yoga/ThinkPad, ASUS ZenBook, Dell XPS etc.

The butterfly switch keyboards are a recent defect. Sure, some users of Apple hardware may be luxury signaling and/or aspirational douchebags bother other just prefer the software, hardware or the combined ecosystem.

I came in here expecting a different kind of topic than what this really is too, but let’s not fight bias with more bias aye. This is bullshit and is completely based on the preference of the end-user and the type of machine they want. There’s no limitation here for Windows. There are plenty of Windows based laptops with higher resolutions out there… because quality machines exist on “both” sides.

No absolutely but i was just heading off a commonly heard “complaint” where people mix legitimate criticism of Apple (price, port selection, performance) with misunderstandings/handwaving away benefits.

And the things i listed, like high quality screens, are strangely harder for people to quantify, especially because if you’re unfamiliar with the way MacOS scales UI and text, Windows only users often really don’t “get” how different the way high DPI screens work with Macs, and so are often too easy to dismiss them. High DPI 4k Windows displays don’t really work the same way they do on similar Macs. So people “may not want” what Macs offer without understand what it is exactly they think it is (i’ve often heard Windows users complain that they “don’t need” the Desktop space of a 4k display on a 15" laptop… which means they don’t understand what the high DPI screen is doing on a Mac).

This doesn’t mean every Windows only user doesn’t get it of course, i think (hope) that should be obvious. And like i said, price and/or performance are better on Windows computers at this point from a sheer numbers point of view, setting aside other things like trackpads or displays.

I assume people who choose Mac or Apple do so for a reason. On this specific forum, I assume those reasons can be mostly be explained in more depth than it just works and the UI is just better.

When I clicked on this topic, i didn’t assume it was necessarily about latpops, or had anything to do with the OS. I really thought i might read about a new product or an article on maintenance or maybe hear about an existing problem that a solution would soon try to address, and I got… this…

If you want a durable laptop, get a Panasonic ToughBook.

Yea, the OP came in swinging against Macs. It’s Ford vs Chevy - the only winning move is not to play.

At this point choosing Mac over PC is very much about the intangibles. If all a person cares about is performance (setting aside noise, clutter, appearance, ect) PC wins every time. If you’re an Adobe Premiere user b/c you make Youtube videos all day long, it’s PC or go home. If you have scientific or business programs, it’s (probably) PC (law firm types can probably lean toward Macs though). It’s not a super interesting topic because of those factors.

I think the OP felt that one of those intangibles, the perceived durability of Macs was a lie. In a sense he’s probably more right today, at least in certain respects.

I have PC and Macs - in fact i’ve literally got a PC laptop in front of the iMac i’m typing this response on. I use PCs at work and for games; i use Macs for photos and writing. It’s not super interesting anymore b/c Macs aren’t interesting anymore. You kind of know if you want one or if you don’t.

If I may, my point was that premium machines should be premium, and I don’t see that being the case, at least with the issues brought up by Louis Rossmann, and when an item is broken, I would expect that company would be more upfront about providing solutions or repairs.

If I buy a cheap labtop or phone, I have a lower bar of what I expect in support from the company I purchase it.

Now, sure, I am speaking about Apple in particular, because it seems that their products are seen as iconic, but also very expansive and seen by many as a luxury item, but if something goes wrong (as in the case of Linus and his iMac Pro. Apple doesn’t seem to offer a premium experience but expects the client to fend for themselves (although to be fair if you go to a 3rd party repair shop, they might get sued for counterfieting items)

Now, I hear a lot of stories about Microsoft Surface Books having a shit ton of troubles and issues, but in the very same breath, I hear about them replacing the item or giving credit or in some fashion making it right.

I don’t see that happening with Apple Products, and it makes me wonder why there is so much loyalty to this brand.

Linus’ iMac Pro is a horrible example. The guy completely dissasembled the unit down to the bare metal, admitted he broke the display, power supply, and logic board in the process. Pretty much the entire computer. I have zero problem with Apple or an AASP telling him where he can stick the wreckage. Plus, he clearly thought that having an Apple sucks rant would give him a few million hits for his channel. The entire video was so contrived from the fake spark when the guy tried to put the display on, to the scripted “reactions” to the emails, etc.

A better example is Stephen Hackett actually had the key pop off and Apple at first refused to honor the warranty repair.