How durable should your computer be?

So that was what? 1985?

NeXT Forever!~

heh… early 2000’s? Hey, I’m not saying it was rational.

I like the durability of Thinkpads.

https://www3.lenovo.com/hk/en/thisisthinkpad/innovation/thinkpad-mil-spec-tested-to-the-extreme/

I haven’t been overly happy with ThinkPad after Lenovo took over, but the old IBM ThinkPads were tanks.

True, but I hated hated hated that stupid pencil eraser mouse mover.

I’ve had a recent SSD failure in my ThinkPad T460s, which is weird. It also has a finicky trackpad. But overall it’s a great laptop.

I love using that thing and am quite proficient with it. Not sure why all the hate for it.

I hated the 420. The CD drawer kept popping out if I even lightly touched it.

It just felt icky on my finger. I know that’s not terribly scientific…

My irrational hatred for Apple of the early 2000’s mostly came from their insistence on using a one-button mouse. I had the idea that Apple thought we weren’t smart enough for a two-button mouse.

Actually right now I feel that enabling a mouse-mode in iPads would be a positive for productivity purposes such as using MSWord or spreadsheets. But there’s no ‘hatred’.

I liked the t440s I previously had for work. As far as Apple quality I know a number of kernel developers that have used macbooks over the years specifically because of the hardware quality. They would get the macbook, wipe it clean, and install a linux distro on it. My wife is mac person and we have run into some issues with her iMac in the past, but Apple has gone out of their way to make her happy. I think she got her first iMac in 2014 or so, whenever they first started using their fusion drive technology. There was a problem with it, so Apple gave her a brand new one because engineering wanted to see her iMac. Then last year that replacement had some strange issue, and after trying to replace the logic board twice they just gave her a new gen iMac. Prior to that gen iMac I don’t believe she ever had any problems with her macbooks over the years. I currently have 2017 macbook pro as my work laptop and it is a nice piece of hardware. If I have any complaint it is that they are doing stuff under the hood which currently makes it not very usable for running linux which I would prefer to os x.