How Good Is The PS2 DVD Player?

My DVD player pooched out recently, so I figured that I’d kill two birds with one stone and pick up a PS2. Now, I realize that the PS2 doesn’t have a S-Video out, just your standard RCA connections, but the TV I’m using is a basic Samsung 27", so I figure the image quality between the S-Video and the RCA isn’t that huge to begin with.

So, given that I’ll be using it for basic DVD functionality, will the PS2 deliver or should I think about a stand-alone machine as well?

Fj1200

I use my PS2 as a dvd player all the time. A lot of people complain about it, but I have no problems. Bear in mind, I have a curved screen tv and I’m using RCA cables, but I think if you don’t have high-end everything else, the PS2 dvd player is fine.

Also, there are S-Vid cables available for the PS2 if you are so inclined.

Yeah, works just wonderfully for me as a DVD player for the last couple years.

Given an AR Max, I can also watch any region DVD I need.

IMHO, the PS2 sucks as a DVD player because it doesn’t play VCD or SVCD format videos. Plus, you have to buy a DVD remote control thingy if you don’t want to use the game controller to select chapters and whatnot.

Instead of buying the remote control, I put that money towards a $40 Coby DVD-218 from Fry’s. Works for me.

It’s my only DVD player. It’s not great, but it’s good enough that I don’t feel the need to buy a separate player. I don’t watch a lot of DVDs though. I also don’t own the remote, but that doesn’t bother me, since I just let it play most of the time anyway.

Whenever I get a bad disk from Netflix that won’t play on my standard DVD player (which is fairly often) I put it in the PS2 and it has worked every time except once or twice. Still, I don’t think I would use it as my only DVD player, if I was going to use a console for that I would go Xbox. But that might just be because I’m a fanboi.

If you’re not hooking it up to a crazy home theatre system, it should be just fine. The new ones also support progressive scan playback, which the Xbox doesn’t, so it’s (kinda) future-proof

I’ve also had a lot of luck using the PS2 to play rented discs that my other DVD players have had trouble with. I have no idea why that is though.

In case anyone is wondering, this lack of VCD/SVCD support is still true for the new 50001 model. I’ve tried. However, it does have a built-in IR receiver now, so you don’t have to give up a joystick port for that goofy receiver thing.

Well, if you bought the right 3rd party remote, you never had to give up a joystick/memory card slot anyway. Mine has a pass-through.

I’m such a non-combatant in the super quality video sweepstakes, it’s not funny. My PS2 has always been my DVD player, and I’m fine with it. It’s never refused to play a disc that wasn’t badly damaged.

My experience with the PS2 DVD has depended upon the model of PS2 I’m using.

I first had a used Model 30001 PS2. It was okay for a while, running almost everything I had, but it quickly developed tons of problems trying to read almost all my DVDs. One day it pretty much gave up on reading any at all - I don’t just mean skipping, I mean it wouldn’t even start the DVD player program because of “disc read error” issues. That was odd because I could still play DVD-ROM games. Even after I bought the DVD remote that included software which supposedly improved the compatibility issues of the DVD player program, it would not read a single DVD.

Anyway, that PS2 completely died on me, and since I had a little extra money I bit the bullet and bought a brand new Model 50001 PS2. AWESOME. Never mind that it’s ridiculously quiet (I honestly thought it was broke when I first tried it because I turned on the power and didn’t hear a single thing) and that there is almost no delay between me putting a disc in a drive and the PS2 reading it and starting the program (the 30001 had long-ass delays before starting anything), but it plays every DVD I have flawlessly. This even includes The Beastie Boys’ Anthology, which had up until this point been legendary amongst my circle of friends for not fucking playing properly on any DVD player any of us had - PS2, computer, standalone, whatever, no DVD player would play the damn thing without skipping. Now I have major bragging rights.

The sole exception to this trend was one alarming incident when trying to watch Lock Stock & Two Smoking Barrels. It tried to read the disc, then I heard this horrid grinding noise, and it wasn’t starting the DVD player program after about ten seconds. So I ejected the disc, expecting to find a nice little pattern of scratches on it. Luckily, no real damage had been done, and when I tried the disc again it played normally. Bizarre.

My advice is, do your best to get a Model 50001, unless you simply don’t have the money. They seem to load games faster, they’re practically silent, and the DVD player improvements over the Model 30001 are beautiful. Plus you don’t need that DVD remote software to get the improved DVD player program (although the remote is still a good idea).

My advice is, do your best to get a Model 50001, unless you simply don’t have the money. They seem to load games faster, they’re practically silent, and the DVD player improvements over the Model 30001 are beautiful. Plus you don’t need that DVD remote software to get the improved DVD player program (although the remote is still a good idea).

is it safe to assume the Model 50001’s are the ones currently out on the shelves in retail locations in Canada? If not, how can I tell if I’m purchasing the most recent model? And finally, is there a price difference between the 50001’s and any other PS2?

Thanks to all for their help, by the way.

IOLITE VAPORIZER

The box the 50001 comes in has one corner colored yellow, with a little plus sign in the yellow part.