How I met your Mother

Man, I love HIMYM too. It’s the one and only laugh-track show I actually enjoy, though I rewatched a couple of episodes paying special attention to how the laugh track was incorporated and it’s so subtle compared to, say, Friends, that I rarely notice it.

Last night’s episode was fantastic, too. I thought the best part was how even while sobbing hysterically, Barney was still totally focused on seeing what he could get Honey to believe.

It helps that the laugh track is actual people rather than canned. They show the finalized episode live to a crowd and record their laughter. That said, I’d buy every DVD set if they had versions with no laugh track at all available.

this…loved first two seasons so much, third and fourth were weak so I stopped watching, but then I decided to give it another chance so I watch again. It got better imo, but the greatness of first two seasons is still unsurpassed.

Is this streaming anywhere? I haven’t watched more than a few seconds, but I like NPH, Allison Hanigan, and Jason Segel, so I figure I must give this a shot sooner or later.

I watch it a lot in syndication, and I’ve been watching the new episodes the last few months. I really like the show, but I get frustrated watching Ted date girls when I already know it’s not going to work out. I think, in retrospect, that was a mistake. (See above RE: Ted and Robin.)

It’s painful to see the show go through the standard sappy TV tropes of marriage, pregnancy, etc but that’s life I guess.

Also, it’s called “How I met your Mother” with the premise that every episode is a story a father is telling to his children, marriage and pregnancy seem somewhat inevitable.

They can always end it with Ted’s kids morphing into finger puppets as the background becomes a padded white room, Ted committed for vivisecting his best friends in a twisted search for his true love. Their… “Mother”. That would be legend…wait for it…

Dairy Queen is a pretty good place to go for an ice cream cone. I like the chocolate dip.

I’ve tried to watch this show, but it would be SO much better without Ted, who is uninteresting and downright annoying in his milquetoastedness.

I’m actually sort of glad that the supporting cast is more interesting than the lead. The
storylines are far more interesting that way.

This show reminds me of The Family Guy’s reliance on “Hey, remember that time when…” flashbacks.

People say this a lot, but I really don’t get it. I like Ted.

I like his romanticism and his douchebag pretentiousness on occasion. I like that he’s the straight man to Barney’s crazy or Marshall’s sweetness. I like that the best romantic stories come from him. Like last night’s episode, (though not on par with Season 1’s Drumroll Please… for best sitcom first kiss) I thought it was pretty good how he was pretend hating Zoey. (You’re a show-off…)

I think that among the cast, he has to carry the most weight because he can’t be too crazy like everyone else, and still keep the story going. When they try, it fails and that has somehow contributed to everyone hating Ted.

Just saw last night’s episode and liked it a lot. HIMYM has lot’s of episodes with different storytelling devices, and having Marshall switch back and forth between all the phone calls worked for me. I loved Barney’s interpretation of the dinner.

A little annoyed about the Zoe and Ted thing, because we know she’s not the mother. Also, Ted hasn’t ever referred to Zoe as “Aunt Zoe” like with Lily/Robyn, so that means she isn’t (without any retconning) a long term friend even. Chances are that things between Zoe and Ted don’t end well, which is too bad because I like Zoe’s character a lot.

Also, Katy Perry. Damn.

Also, as spotted by some eagle eyed viewer from avclub.

Ted = Professor Plum. He was always in something purple.
Barney = Mr Green. He was always wearing something green.
Katy Perry = Miss Scarlett. She was in red.
Zoe = Mrs White. She was always in white.
Robin = Mrs Peacock. She was always in blue.
The Captain = Colonel Mustard.

Nice catch. That’s one of the things I like about the show-- they throw in Easter eggs just for the heck of it, from the number episode a month or so back to the Nude Cabbie Killer in the last episode of the third season. I generally don’t watch it enough to catch all the call backs, but I do like that they’ve put in the effort.

What happened to the writing on this show? It was never great, but the current season is simply horrible. It’s the lowest common denominator sitcom laughtrack bullshit writing. It might be time to drop that season pass.

Something has definitely changed for the worse. It’s basically Two And A Half Men level of comedy now.

It’s really on a downward slope

Seasons 1,2,3 > Seasons 4,5,6 > Seasons 7,8

I didn’t notice any major downswing last season but this season, jesus. That pre-nup episode was garbage. They turned their characters into caricatures.