How long before we are eating each other?

Hey, if someone can get us some fuel, I’ll have us a damned fine generator, by god. One big enough for QT3’ers that want to drive up to NC. Also big enough for Armando’s restaurant featuring mystery meat.

I work at a location making 400KVA generators, towable. With many on the lot.

I’d be too tough and gamey. You’d need to mix in some more… domesticated meat.

For a thousand bucks and a ride to the airport, I’ll eat you.

Well, just going by whatever popped into my head, say some kind of cosmic event zaps the island of Nantucket back into pre-history, and at the same time, altered all physical laws when it causes most forms of high-energy-density technology on Earth to permanently no longer work.

Not something that keeps me up at night though!

This analysis is generally good, but have you guys factored in the feral hogs?

Upwards of 50 even!

Texans will hold out longer?

We would be willing to barter. Access to our roadways will be granted as long as Councilor Armando agrees that the hogs can be used.

I thought this thread was going to be about Soylent Green.

If the results of said meal were then used for your grave-shitting needs, I would be honored.

Assuming that would even be a thing in the post-apocalypse world. I assume so, as I also assume said apocalypse is Moscow Mitch’s fault.

I’ve always felt that if terrorists really want to fuck with us, they’d go after our power grid. But it’s a tremendously large and distributed beast - it would have to be a well coordinated attack on many of generating stations - take out dams, nuclear & coal powered plants and target key transmission lines that distribute electricity and you could impact a lot.

But you’re never going to get everything. There will be many areas where they have localized power. Several cities have small localized power facilities, and you get some pretty big industries/manufacturers that all have their own electrical generators. But as @Spiffy says, if you’re in a large city, those will be hit the hardest.

Good luck getting gasoline, because you’ll need electricity to pump it. Siphoning will work as a last resort. But the army / national guard will be able to create islands of power.

It would be a rough (6,9,15,?) months while everything was restored - brownouts and blackouts would be common and the biggest problem would be communication - how do you get the word out on where to go for food / shelter / etc when you have no power?

This would be a good scenario for a game. How do you shuffle resources such as portable generators, existing power generators that are still functioning, and prioritizing what and where to rebuild.

It’s one of the benefits of living in somewhat rural America, in that we could pretty easily survive for quite a while without all the fancy stuff in modern society.

We have guns and crap, and the ability to grow our own food… and wells… our ability to survive doesn’t just stop when you flip a switch.

Do you use that line on dates?

Not since the unfortunate ‘biting incident’.

The thing is, subsistence farming usually slowly starves the farmers. It certainly consumes virtually all of their labor capacity. That’s why poor agricultural societies have such high birth rates, they’re growing their own farm hands. And where is the water coming from again? Even if you have your own well, I imagine the pump is electric.

Right. We beneficiaries of a modern industrial-technological society definitely underestimate the amount of specialized knowledge and effort it would take to survive without that society. And we tend to also forget about the millions of other people who would be trying to do the same thing. Not everyone starving in the cities would stay there. Also, too, winter.

Most places have one of these as well:

You wont have running water, but you’ll have water.

And subsistence farming is better than the alternative in a city which is… looting until supplies exhaust and then raiding other for supplies or being raided. Or just dying.

I mean subsistence farming sucks, but it’s better than not doing anything and dying, which is why it’s been a thing for thousands of years. One’s labor capacity is irrelevant when the alternative is death.

You roughly need a block worth of land planting potatoes (calorie high food) for subsistence. The preppers must have done the math. The problem is a novice planter won’t get anywhere near the expected yields.