How many games will you lose when your iPad updates to iOS 11?

How does Microsoft have a “perfect backwards compatibility at all costs” strategy? Do you not recall the DOS and 16-bit application support issues with the introduction of 2000/XP? Or the compatibility problems with Vista and 10? The difference is Microsoft actually makes an effort to provide workarounds, or at least fosters an environment that makes such workarounds possible.

I don’t know about everyone else, but Microsoft’s backwards compatibility is the reason I have been and will continue to be a user of Windows. I have a catalog of hundreds of games, and a strong desire to not have a house full of a dozen systems to play them on. I also have this bizarre personality trait that causes me to want to retain enjoyable purchases that I’ve made instead of tossing them in the dumpster at the whims of a tech giant.

I don’t even think it’s necessarily Apple’s fault here, even though they could obviously do something to provide support for 32 bit apps. It is simply another reason to treat mobile purchases as rentals, which is why I’ll never pay more than rental prices on the App Store.