How many games will you lose when your iPad updates to iOS 11?

2 pages of em for me. Don’t care.

Ah, it was a 10.3.1 issue - thank you @LeeAbe!

A whole bunch of games for the kids, which I’ll need to keep. Plus Lords of Waterdeep, Battle Academy, Warhammer Quest, LeveeHD, Qvadriga, BattleLore.

I don’t think I’ll be updating to 11.

If my $12.00 Klingon Suite goes away I shall be very angry.

I think the point is to get pissed off now and start bugging the publishers so 6-8 months from now … you can not be pissed off.

The publishers have zero incentive to update as you’ve already purchased the game. Most apps actively supported or with microtransactions would have been updated already.

I actually sent an email to Simon and Schuster already. I expect nothing to be done.

Well, if nobody complains, you can guarantee that’s what will happen anyway.

I sent an email to publisher of “How to Cook Everything.” They maintain a website for it, but the app hasn’t been updated since 2014. I like it, but I never use it anymore. None of the 5 apps listed on my phone have I used in years. The only games were the two Sid Meier’s Air Patrols. As strusser said, game companies are horrible about it. They throw their game out there hoping to make a quick buck and move on.

Honestly if an app hasn’t been updated in almost 3 years, I kind of figure its dead. It’s why I stopped bothering with a lot of apps and only stick to the big name stuff that I know I can rely on. It was really bad in the early years.

I still miss Rolando on my iPhone. I was gonna finish that game, damn it, now it’s gone forever.

You seem pretty tolerant of Apple forcibly sunsetting people’s paid-for software.

We don’t actually know what will happen yet (see strusser’s post above). Publishers are free to update their apps. If customers paid for it, some might say they have an obligation to make sure it keeps working within a reasonable time period (it’s not like every OS hasn’t had this issue in the past as well). This is a move forward for the OS. It will make the devices and the software on them better in the future.

You guys obviously aren’t Mac users. When they switched to Intel it was a much bigger deal (and more of a hassle) but it was better for the platform in the long run. Heck the rumor keeps going around that they might switch Macs to ARM, so we might see it again someday.

The alternative is Microsoft’s bullshit “perfect back compat at all costs” strategy, which I think is far more cancerous to the system over time. It is better to jettison the old bullshit and do things right for the long term.

So I am with Apple on this one. Build for the future and take your damn lumps.

It’s not either/or. Apple can “build for the future” without losing the ability to run older apps. If my Android phone can run MS-DOS, GBA, SNES, and PSP games in a sandbox, surely iOS can run its 32-bit iOS apps in a similar manner.

We don’t know that it can’t yet. But Apple is certainly saying if you want apps on their platform, make them 64 bit. That’s a good thing. Sucks that you can’t play “Modern Girl” anymore, but it is up to developers to update them. So far it seems this is a non issue unless you have an older game you just love. It’s not like this is a sudden thing either, Apple has been pushing this for the past year and most apps are already 64 bit.

Not sure Android is a great comparison here. The OS that doesn’t care about security or updates (unless you buy a new phone).

I expect Apple will be delisting tens of thousands of apps in the coming months as they fail to provide 64-bit updates ahead of iOS 11, then?

Oh, right, they have absolutely no incentive to support their customers either.

I can’t wait for the uproar closer to iOS 11’s release, when people will inevitably buy apps, have their phones start forcing the update on them a few days later, and find out the apps they just bought no longer work. It’ll be a well-deserved PR nightmare.

To be fair, Android has tried to decouple security updates from OS updates as much as possible via Google Play Services.

Please show me a current app that isn’t already 64 bit. iOS has been 64 bit since 2013.

Edit: 64 bit has been required since June 2015.

There are plenty of 32 bit apps on sale in the App Store right now, including high profile apps like Warhammer Quest. Many people, probably most, do not check whether an app was released before June 2015 before purchasing. If I bought WQ today only to lose it a few months later, I would be angry.

And many operating systems, not just Android, can handle running programs originally designed for another platform. I don’t see any good reason why iOS can’t do the same. This strikes me as Apple once again marketing a loss of functionality as “minimalism”.

This isn’t an OS issue (though I’m not clear if it’s more on the carriers or the manufacturers who insist on their own Android customization bloat). No problem getting monthly security and performance updates on my Nexus phone.

And even if your device doesn’t get official updates that regularly, the lovely thing about Android is you can install unofficial versions of the OS. My Galaxy s4 is running a version of Android like 3 major revisions past the last official update.