How much Activision does it take to change a Blizzard?

The market is largely speculative of what they think will happen. So maybe they feel that if the pandemic eases up game sales will drop off as people want to leave their house, travel, etc.

And I wouldn’t expect a whole lot of rationality from the market. I mean, look at GME. :)

I got the Dragster patch for a sub 6 second run! Wish I still had that…

LOL $18 million. That’s all it took? Feds are pussies.

“Hey Frank, crank out a new mount for the WoW store, we gotta pay off this EEOC fine.”

Just for reference, the company made $8.09 BILLION in revenue last year.

And with that, no reason to do better in the future. Pay the fine and continue to abuse women indiscriminately!

Wow. Weak as piss.

I would not be surprised to find out though that the government is limited in the amount of fines or whatever they can impose based on the laws involved. I seriously doubt the folks on the government side are looking to lowball the penalties, so if they are as low as this it may well be because their hands are tied. Just a speculation though.

This is just the federal government, the state of CA is still pursuing, yes?

Good point, this settlement does not relate to the CaDEFH suit.

One of the biggest problems with the justice system, is the inherent inequity in regards to “punishment” via a monetary settlement. For poor and working class people, fines can be life destroying, for the rich or for corporations, fines don’t even rise to the level of inconvenience. Easy solution, fines are percentage based.

There are certainly larger penalties available for civil suits, so there may still be some hope there, but once you reach a certain level of income, monetary penalties are a joke.

They are, but they don’t have to be. If the feds pushed for a $1 billion settlement it might have encouraged Activision to make actual meaningful change. This paltry sum certainly will not have any impact, though.

To cross threads, I prefer the term “means tested”. /evilgrin

Turns out the sweetheart deal with the Feds is even worse than it sounds.

The settlement includes a clause which requests that Activision Blizzard be able to remove any allegations of sexual harassment from the personnel files of settlement claimants, effectively destroying evidence that is essential to the DFEH’s own trial.

WTF. Why would the Feds agree to let them shred evidence?!

Why would they settle for a measly $12 million? So many questions.

First thought: there is a second 12 million out there somewhere. Question is, who got it.

Welp.

New information pertaining to a settlement between Activision Blizzard and the Equal Employee Opportunity Commission (EEOC) has unveiled potential ethical violations that may impact the wider lawsuit.

A document filed last week by the EEOC points out that two leading lawyers on the suit filed by the Department for Employment and Housing in California (DFEH) also previously worked for the EEOC, and specifically investigated Activision Blizzard prior to the $18 million settlement made last week between the two parties to resolve charges of discrimination.

If this is proven to be true, it is a conflict of interest, a violation of attorney ethics, and a breach of the California Rules of Professional Conduct, according to the filing.

“Specifically, two DFEH attorneys – who play leadership roles within the organisation – previously served as EEOC who helped to direct the EEOC’s investigation into Commissioner’s Charge No. 480-2018-05212 against Activision Blizzard, Inc,” the document reads.

“These same attorneys then proceeded to represent DFEH in connection with these intervention proceedings, which seek to oppose the consent decree that arose out of the very investigation they helped to direct while at the EEOC.”

The EEOC’s document also notes that the DFEH brought in new counsel, but filed an appeal just hours afterwards, which suggests that the lawyers in question may still have been involved with the motion.

“After being informed of this conflict, DFEH retained new counsel but appears to have filed the present intervention motion just hours after this counsel was retained, strongly suggesting that the motion is a product of the prohibited representation,” it continues.

“For this reason, the intervention motion should be disallowed and DFEH attorneys should be barred from providing work product to, or advising, new counsel in connection with these intervention proceedings.”

The document also highlights that after being questioned about the conflict of interest by EEOC counsel, the two attorneys disconnected from the call.

Here’s more info. Tl;dr is that DFEH’s case is now an insane mess, and these two lawyers have jeopardized the entire proceeding. Either they didn’t disclose their previous relationship with the EEOC, or they did and the DFEH went ahead anyway. Either way, it’s really bad.

Activision Blizzard Lawsuit Clusterfuck Gets More Clustered, Fucked

lmao