How much Activision does it take to change a Blizzard?

Blizzard has not released a major single-player game in over twenty years. It’s not going to happen, Activision or no Activision.

Could be multiplayer like Diablo 3 or Far Cry. Most people play these games single-player but the multi is there if you want it.

Or they could go the Rockstar route and build an essentially separate online game using the same mechanics, engine, and assets. That’s the smart route, IMO.

This game sounds great and it would take them 12 years to make it.

Diablo 3 is still primarily designed to keep people online, playing and paying indefinitely (well, at least until Diablo 4 comes out).

Paying what?

As for online, that’s not required on consoles. I thought it had been patched out on PC? But I guess you still need to be at least connected to Blizzard.net?

In D3 you can buy the expansion and the Necromancer class, but there’s no extended monetization at all beyond that.

Indeed. No monetisation over time that I can think of besides expansions.

Turns out I’m a big dummy who talks about Diablos he didn’t actually play. I remembered there was controversy when it came out, but it seems that was over the always online DRM. I just assumed that was meant to enable ongoing monetization. But wasn’t there a real money auction house?

Yes, but they reacted relatively quickly to the issues that brought to the game and removed it. That was many many years ago.

So designed to keep players paying, but then they backed out. I was almost right!

-Philosophy changed from “efficiency over fantasy” (players want to be more efficient even if it means not playing the fantasy of the game) to “fantasy over efficiency” (players played the game how they wanted and didnt need to be efficient because they would get what they wanted eventually without much thought; they showered them with more legendaries, “Game changing legendaries - lots of them”, very important was that they were game breaking and were given often for the fantasy feel ).

This right here sums up why I soured on Diablo 3 as quickly as I did. The game felt like it was steering you toward the most efficient build and gear possible, and didn’t make experimentation fun. I remember in Diablo 2 giving my sorceress a sword and whacking shit with it because it was fun and it was decently statted. That kind of thing was impossible in D3.

It’s good to see they changed that approach. But I’m never going back.

Loot 1.0 was a disaster for everyone.

If you haven’t played D3 since release, you’re missing out on a completely different and downright amazing game.

One of the real downers is that p2w and f2p games look and sound massively better than their pay2play rivals. This is getting glaringly obvious on iOS.

Apologies if this has already been linked. I confess I haven’t read it yet, but it looks interesting. (I didn’t actually know IGN put out these types of feature pieces.)

You would have gotten a “It looks like your link to www.ign.com was already posted in the topic by @stusser in a reply on May 21, '21 – are you sure you want to post it again?”

Oh, cool. Well, I didn’t, so… I guess he didn’t! (Did he?)

I did! But repetition is repetition is good. Most people don’t listen listen.

Sorry. Sorry.

Hai guyz did you see this IGN link