How much Activision does it take to change a Blizzard?

100,000,000 isn’t quite 1,000,000,000. It might make them twinge, but nothing a few layoffs can’t handle.

Math is hard! Yeah, $100M won’t make them bleed.

I am unconvinced using the photo and name of a rapist for the room where you will lure ladies, get then drunk and push them to sex is innocent, but what I know.

I think these privileged people where allowed to do this because where higuer up. Theres some reasons to be rightfully angry here because these people where not subject to the same rules everyone else. Theres a class warfare angle here. Rules for them, but not for me.

That’s like… 1 month of Hearthstone pack sales?

I just caught up with 3 days worth of posts and wanted to chime in on the silly, borderline irrelevant Cosby Suite debate.

It seems unlikely to me that they would name it as a wink-wink joke about rape. It also seems unlikely that they would name it because of rugs that look like Cosby sweaters.

But Greg Street’s explanation that it was a silly reference to a flea market picture of Bill Cosby does seem plausible to me.

While on a study abroad semester in Sydney in the mid 90’s, my housemates and I found a framed picture of a horse that we loved. We hung it up and made jokes about it all the time. Here we are playing uchre.

(Faces have been squiggled out to protect the innocent. I could easily destroy a few lives with Halloween pics of Aborigine black-face/black-body “costumes”.)

Anyway, based on this personal anecdata, I hereby believe that the Cosby Suite is at least plausibly an innocent joke that looks super-bad in hindsight.

Speaking of Superbad, I rewatched it last night after watching Booksmart with our daughter the other day. I wanted to see if maybe she would enjoy it and HOO BOY hell no she would not. It’s way raunchier and less sweet than I remembered. (Sorry for the tangent, but pop culture does set a tone for what’s acceptable…)

Isn’t Booksmart awesome? Anyone who hasn’t seen it should rush to their TV and watch it now!

Huzzah! We’ve progressed to the pizza and Gilmore Girls phase of the thread.

Damn. I hate/hated Metzen for years since Diablo/Starcraft manuals because of his shitty shitty pencil art but always admired Samwise’s actual GOOD art. Sorry to hear he’s a dickbag too.

It really was great. I thought the stop motion sequence and the party argument could have been stronger with a few tweaks to the script but that’s nitpicky. Overall, it was really funny and touching. Great soundtrack too.

The thing that looks bad about Superbad in comparison is that Jonah Hill’s character is pretty much a relentless asshole to Michael Cera’s character from the very beginning. You learn that they’re inseparable, lifelong friends but there’s a ton of mean-spirited conflict between them throughout. Compared to Booksmart’s “I cannot believe how gorgeous you look… I’m blinded by your beauty… etc” dialogue, their relationship just comes off as sophomoric. (Which I know is the point, but still.) Also Hader and Rogen as amoral and inept cops doesn’t look great these days either. In spite of these gripes, I still like Superbad… it’s just not aging well.

Anyway, we should get back on topic. Deep dish pizza isn’t pizza, it’s casserole. Gabagool!

So Blizzard was involved in child labor as well?

The party is not fine, because it is at a company event, where socializing leads not just to contacts and professional development, but also to career advances and advantages. As a low level female manager/tools programmer type, if I had worked at Blizzard, I would have wanted to be in the room socializing with the people holding those managerial titles. All of them being male is something quite normal most places I worked outside gaming.

Having to socialize flat on my back or with my hand on a co-worker’s breast is in no way going to happen. Or even while they are trying to fuck drunk women. Not my thing. So, I avoid the room. Should a company want to fix it? If they want to keep competent women who aren’t into that, well, yes. Fix by firing? How bad was it? That goes to the pattern of acts, and well, that needs to be answered by a lawyer on how many/what qualifies and makes a state sue.

I do know, when I managed, I discouraged that, even if I was not present because I wanted competent female employees. My employers preferred that as it opened them up to lawsuits if enough of that kind of thing happened. Like was said above, it is covered in basic training at most places.

What a lone person does with their own credit card, and on their own time, is almost always not my business as their employer. But if I had been at a company where “The Cosby Room” was a usual socializing evening for much of management as a group that I needed to network with, at any company/professional event, my resume would have been out the next day. I can network better elsewhere, and I had many options back then.

Disclosure:
I had a male friend suggest I look at working at gaming and specifically mentioned Blizzard once a while back. I laughed since I knew they hired Tigole and Furor and I knew who they were. I’m just not that stupid. It already mattered then. Gaming would always pay less, and there wasn’t enough pay possible for me to work with them. Sad to hear it really was bad enough to get this size of lawsuit.

But the thought of working there, brought up in passing by someone who knew I was gamer, was enough to make me literally laugh a decade or more ago. I didn’t even know the really bad stuff. Make of that what you will.

Rapist that should be in jail.

i agree with everything you wrote. The point I’m poorly advocating is lets get the information first.

Ya, that really made more sense in my head at the time.

The only comment I have about this whole thing is how poorly disguised is WilmerHale as a trojan horse.

Hoo boy.

Ms. Welch, who joined Activision in 2011 as vice president of consumer strategy and insights, said she had known that the company was reputed to have a combative culture but had been intrigued by the prominent role.

Then at a hotel on a work trip that year, Ms. Welch said, an executive pressured her to have sex with him because she “deserved to have some fun” after her boyfriend had died weeks earlier. She said she had turned him down.

Other co-workers suggested she “hook up” with them, she said, and regularly commented on her appearance over the years. Ms. Welch, 52, also said she had been repeatedly passed over for promotions in favor of less qualified men.

Now art lead at Riot.

What the actual hell.

He is basically saying ‘I can’t and won’t get over you so… good luck!’, as a senior in the department/company. The rat’s name is John Polidora and he applied this technique to more women. Absolutely disgusting.

https://mobile.twitter.com/bettydesujiang/status/1420862548572737538

I don’t know what the hell that is, but it isn’t your run of the mill harassment. Certainly doesn’t seem like an effective technique.

Don’t get me wrong, it’s still harassment, the woman said no and he’s persisting, it’s just very unusual, pathetic, and embarrassing for him to have the letter surface publicly.