How Much of a Bottlneck is your PC experiencing?

Enter your hardware configuration into this neat little calculator and find out!

I found out my 4770K CPU is too weak for my 1080Ti at 100% (no OC) but since I have mine OC’d at 23% boost, I picked 125% from the Advanced Menu and it produced vastly more favorable results. So I’ll keep my OC in place as except the increased fan activity, it’s been very stable for a few months since I set it and it maybe is making a bigger difference than I had suspected.

Anyway, kind of a neat little tool I’d thought some folks would get value out of.

Here’s what I get:

Bottleneck detected: Your CPU is too weak for this graphic card.

Intel Core i5-750 @ 2.67GHz with Radeon HD 7950 / R9 280 (x1) will produce 12% of bottleneck. Everything over 10% is considered as bottleneck. We recommend you to replace Intel Core i5-750 @ 2.67GHz with Intel Core i3-4340 @ 3.60GHz.

What does 12% bottleneck mean? If anything above 10% is considered a bottleneck, 12% doesn’t sound all that bad to me.

Hah, my 4670K and @wumpus’s R9 290X are a match made in heaven!

I think it means you are leaving about 12% potential performance on the ground, in your case from your much more powerful video card. So for instance, in a game where you are getting 72FPS on average, you may be able to achieve upwards of 80FPS with a faster CPU. I think, that’s just what my take away is.

EDIT - @Rock8man Just to point it out, that’s exactly what my own CPU was telling me about 13% in my case, but since I have my CPU over clocked (the ASUS software found 23% the most stable for my CPU) I am getting a 7% score instead on the bottleneck.

Also, since most games don’t use the full CPU I have a feeling this is not really representative of real world situations. But I will say Warhammer II I get about 10-20fps on average more now that I OC’d my CPU, so maybe this is more impacting with games/software that can and like to use CPU (like Warhammer II).

Intel Core i7-4790 @ 3.60GHz with GeForce GTX 960 (x1) will produce 22% of bottleneck. We recommend you to replace GeForce GTX 960 with GeForce GTX 780 Ti.

Really, they recommend dropping two generations from my card and three from the present manufacture?

Only 7% here, bitches!

A GTX780ti will outperform a GTX970 by a bit. It’s much faster than a GTX960. That said, obviously you don’t buy such an old GPU, your natural upgrade path would be a GTX1060 or RX-580.

Intel Core i7-4770K @ 3.50GHz with GeForce GTX 1070 (x1) will produce only 7% of bottleneck

Woot, 7% club!

Thanks. If I were to upgrade I would follow the “natural upgrade path” just thought that it was a silly for the site to point that out. I’m pretty sure a 780ti also drinks deeply from the electron well vs. my little silent maxwell.

Oh yes, it would use a ton of power and generate much more heat. But while it’s kind of a silly upgrade choice, it is indeed significantly faster than your 960.

4%, but it’s a laptop so I are disqualify.

Dat sweet 7%

7%? Amateurs!
2% FTW

At 12% I suggest:

12%20percent%2C%20hehe

It doesn’t mean anything, the entire thing is meaningless as every application uses your CPU, RAM, and GPU differently. It’s just an epeen comparison, which is always fun.

So my GTX 1050 is apparently 15% too weak for my 4-year-old Ivy Bridge i5? I mean, I know it was a mid-price card, but I was not expecting that.

Well then, my epeen is the biggest/smallest of all:

Napoleon would be proud!

11%

Bottleneck detected: Your CPU is too weak for this graphic card.

Intel Core i7-6820HQ @ 2.70GHz with GeForce GTX 1070 (x1) will produce 11% of bottleneck. Everything over 10% is considered as bottleneck. We recommend you to replace Intel Core i7-6820HQ @ 2.70GHz with Intel Xeon E5-2670 @ 2.60GHz.

Meh.

The site is just sheisse; as a mobile CPU it has a low base clock and a much higher turbo at 3.6.

Yeah. And as much as I love to build systems I don’t think I’ll be replacing my laptop CPU any time soon, thanks.