How some popular movies might have been

Who the hell would turn down the role of Superman? Can you really imagine someone saying “Thanks for telling me I look perfect for the role of GREATEST MAN EVAR, but I think I’d rather sit around and ripple my perfect abs for amusement.”

Blows my mind. I’m sure it happens all the time, but still.

I dunno, maybe, but I don’t think so. It’s the best I’ve got on short notice, I’m going to keep thinking about it.

I have a hard time seeing Day-Lewis as Willy Wonka. Or the Downey Jr. character from “Scanner Darkly.”

Daniel Day-Lewis as Tobias Funke would be awesome. You suck at this game, Wholly. He’d be especially great as Gob Bluth. He’d even make a pretty cool Tony Hale. I think the only part he might not be able to pull off is George Michael, mainly because of the age factor.

-Tom

P.S. Daniel Day-Lewis would make the awesomest motherfuckin’ Willie Wonka you could ever imagine! Didn’t you see Gangs of New York? Just replace New York with a chocolate factory and give him lollipops instead of those knives. Now make Leonardi DiCaprio a littler kid and, voila!, Daniel Day-Lewis as Willie Wonka.

I could totally see Gob, yeah. And I also thought of George Michael but didn’t go with that because the age factor as well. I maintain he wouldn’t have been as good a Funke though.

I guess maybe the problem is I’m thinking of characters that I couldn’t imagine anyone else playing. The game still basically works, because 90% of the characters I can think of, I could imagine DDL doing, and doing better (going through the LotR cast in my head was a hoot).

But when I really start asking myself simply “would it have been cooler?” it gets hard with the roles that I just can’t imagine DDL doing. Maybe he would’ve made a better Funke, but it’s too hard for me to even imagine for comparison. Same with characters like Walter Sobchak or Jules Winnfield or something. I say they wouldn’t have been better with DDL just because those characters are, for better or worse, so completely linked to their actors that I can’t imagine another actor and still consider them the same role.

Daniel Day-Lewis as The Dude? No, sorry.

No, I could see him as The Dude.

Obviously, you are not an oil man.”

Interesting that Marky Mark was the first choice for Linus in Ocean’s 11. I’ve always thought of him as the guy you call when you can’t get Matt Damon.

Hmm. I can’t decide if I would have rather seen Leonardo DiCaprio in The Matrix. I used to hate him a lot, but after three Scorsese films and, e.g., Catch Me if You Can, I think there’s actually an actor there. Which is more than I can say for Keanu Reeves.

I liked Keanu in The Matrix, and I really liked him in Constantine. That said, I can’t think of a single Keanu role that DiCaprio wouldn’t do better. Or Daniel Day-Lewis, natch!

Hey, how about Daniel Day-Lewis as Neo? Can you dig it? “I…EAT the red pill! I eat it up!”

-Tom

Daniel Day-Lewis as Kevin McAllister.

Give me the red pill, Paul, and let me go!

Even Ted “Theodore” Logan? That role was tailored for Keanu.

Keanu was great in exactly three movies. Tom’s nailed two, let’s see if the forum can guess the third.

I’m pretty sure that he thought it was a documentary.

Did everyone see my There Will Be Vader link in the Youtube thread?

Tom Hanks as Andy in Shawshank might’ve been great.

Machfive, I’m guessing you mean The Gift as Keanu’s third great performance? I wasn’t crazy about that movie, but next to being known as the movie where Katie Holmes Takes Off Her Top, it’s also known as the movie where Keanu Does A Serious Performance.

-Tom

I would have guessed My Own Private Idaho.

Troy

Oh, they’re great alright. No doubts there.

There’s no reason to be bummed out by the lack of Sean Connery. McKellan was the perfect Gandalf, and Connery would have been Sean Connery in a robe and wizard hat.

Uma Thurman as Eowyn would have been interesting.

This is the truest thing ever posted on Qt3.