How to get Sierra DVD "Best Seller" games shipped

Anybody have an idea where I might be able to find this? I have the Tie-Fighter Collector’s Edition, but that is just the old DOS game fixed up to be more compatible with Win9x. It’s still the old graphics engine IIRC.

Edit: Looks like this was the version that was being talked about. Now if I can just find it somwhere.[/quote]

Yes, that’s it. You can get it cheap on Ebay – here’s a couple of current auctions:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3400333819&category=182

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3006880223&category=3606

Wait a sec. From what I read on MobyGames, the X-Wing Collectors box just has the same games in it as the individual Tie Fighter Collector’s Edition and X-Wing Collector’s Edition CD-ROMs. You would not be getting better graphics than the Tie Fighter Collectors CD ROM by buying the X-Wing Collectors set, as far as I can tell. Can anyone clear this up?

Wait a sec. From what I read on MobyGames, the X-Wing Collectors box just has the same games in it as the individual Tie Fighter Collector’s Edition and X-Wing Collector’s Edition CD-ROMs. You would not be getting better graphics than the Tie Fighter Collectors CD ROM by buying the X-Wing Collectors set, as far as I can tell. Can anyone clear this up?[/quote]

No, the X-Wing collector’s box has the updated versions. It was released relatively recently ('97 or '98, I think?).

The earlier CD versions of X-Wing and TIE Fighter had the old DOS versions of the games.

I recently reinstalled TIE Fighter from the X-Wing Collector Series. It is the Win95 version, and supports Direct3D at a blistering 640x480. Anti-aliasing helps keep your eyes from bleeding, and is basically free on this old engine.

Thanks Desslock, I had poked around eBay and found those, but since I’ve never used eBay (please don’t laugh) I was hoping to find it elsewhere. I may just have to register and pick one of those up.

I’m still confused here.

The Tie Fighter Collectors CD I have (not part of the X-Wing Collectors box) is a Windows 95 version, not a DOS version as you say.

You’re saying that they released 3 versions of TIE Fighter on CD?

1. DOS version.
  2. Collectors CD version which runs on Win 95 but looks the same.
  3. X-Wing Collectors Series box version with updated graphics compared to versions 1 & 2?

Just trying to avoid buying a duplicate version of the game. Sorry to be thick.

Don’t worry about it, I was confused for a while too. I’m pretty sure that you’ve got it now, but wait for Desslock or someone else to confirm that.

Just to clear something up:

The standalone Collectors CD version of Tie Fighter I’m talking about is the one you can buy for $9.95 in those cheapo game racks at CompUSA, etc. That’s the one I have. Didn’t seem to have updated graphics (but maybe I’m wrong), but has Win 95 autorun menu and doesn’t run from a DOS box.

Okay, never mind.

I just checked the dates on my TIE Fighter CDROM, and most of the files were created in 1998, so I’ll just assume this is the updated post-X-Wing vs. TIE Fighter version. Guess I’m used to modern graphics and thought that the graphics were DOS-era, when they’re really 1998-era. Sorry bout dat.

Just found out why the Kilrathi Saga sells for so much. Apparently only 20,000 units were produced.

The TIE Fighter Collector’s Edition CD supports higher resolution (640x480) than the 3.5" DOS version (320x200), but it still uses the same basic engine and gouraud-shaded polygon graphics. I’m not aware that a CD version of the original was ever released. The version that comes as part of the X-Wing Collector’s Series (disc 2) does indeed use the newer XvT engine, which is notable in its use of bitmap-textured models.

• Alan

What about that Wing Commander game that had the multiplayer option? It had some kind of strategic overlay, too. Is that one a collector’s item as well? I think it was called Wing Commander Armada.

WCA isn’t very collectible. Well, it might be from a pure ownership standpoint, but the game itself wasn’t very good. For one thing, the flight controls were way too twitchy. The strategic portion was cute and not too complex, except that a skilled player could hold off an entire fleet with a handful of light fighters. Played with auto-resolved combat made things a bit more even, but then it was just a very simplistic turn-based game.

• Alan

What about that Wing Commander game that had the multiplayer option? It had some kind of strategic overlay, too. Is that one a collector’s item as well? I think it was called Wing Commander Armada.[/quote]

Like Alan said it could be considered a collectors items if you’re a Wing Commander fan who wants all the games in the series. Multiplayer over a network or by split-screen, and the series’ first use of polygon ships. It’s easy to find a CD-Rom version of the game, but finding the original disk version can be a challenge. Wing Commander Academy is another poor WC game that can be difficult to find(in it’s original form at least)

Ohh, speaking of which. Someone in the thread mentioned the Gunship 2000 expansion pack. Found one on Ebay that ends in a week. Doesn’t look too common since even searching the completed auctions didn’t turn up any. Check it out here. Hopefully no one on here hates me enough to snipe me :)

Right. Here’s the history – original release, which featured basic 320x200 graphics. TIE Fighter CD collectors’ edition, which added SVGA graphics to 640x480 and inclduded the expansion.

Lastly, the X-wing Collectors Series, which updated both the original X-wing and TIE Fighter to the engine used by the original Xwing vs. TIE Fighter (which subsequently went through its own improvements). The cutscenes were also redone and significantly improved. It’s the version you want if you still are interested in these games.

Thank you! But one final niggling question!

Is the expansion included on the X-Wing Collectors Series version of Tie Fighter? Or can you only play that in the DOS and SVGA versions?

I’m pretty sure it’s included.

All of the expansions for Xwing and TIE Fighter are included. I believe there was a triple pack that came out even later which also included the full version of XvT (minus the Balance of Power expansion).