How To Survive

I feel like I’m the only person on this forum who is actually checking out new games these days. Anyhow-

This came out on Steam today. It’s $10.49.

It’s also amazingly good.

The visuals remind me of Titan Quest, but the meat of the game is all about crafting and survival. There are I think hundreds of things you can craft in the game. You also have to hunt for food and water, as well as sleep when you get tired.

The game is extremely polished. Who are the developers? At first glance it looks like a cheap Russian game, but it’s definitely not.

So, yeah. It’s basically a Diablo-like game with heavy crafting and survival elements. I can’t believe they’re selling it for so cheap. I would have been just as happy paying $30 for the game.

The only negative aspect is it only allows for local co-op, although you can play “survival” mode online, but I have no idea what that is.

It’s up on XBLA too - not yet certain which version I want to get.

I watched a gameplay vid a while back and it looked pretty fun so I bought it also. Haven’t had a chance to play it yet though.

Dang, 30% off is a great launch-time discount. Very tempted, since you give it such a ringing endorsement.

P.S., I don’t check out new games until they’re no longer new because I am a cheapskate who waits for sales.

Can anyone comment on how long the game is? And what about replayability? Thanks.

I noticed it’s autosave only, and not even a remotely close to friendly autosave system. Beware if you don’t have major chunks of playtime. Probably a no-buy for me unless it hits rock-bottom Steam sale prices. Bummer, looks fun too. I just can’t stand losing game progress due to console-itis type save systems.

I understand trying to develop against save-scumming (though I don’t agree with being told how to play a game I purchased), but come on, that’s so unfriendly to casuals, people with families, etc…

I think I wish I got this instead of Gone Home.

Oh man I was prepared to get this thing but your comment about the auto save feature is a major negative for me. Roughly how long are we talking between autosaves? 10 minutes? 30 minutes?

Just picked it up, exactly what I’ve been in the mood for. Thank for the heads-up!

Edit: Weird, the EKO Software (developer) website hasn’t been updated in 2 years and doesn’t even list the game.

Edit 2: From a Steam thread: “It usually autosaves after you complete a quest or move to a new island. So really if you wanna save and quit you have to exit an island.”

Weird, the EKO Software (the developer) website hasn’t been updated in 2 years and doesn’t even list the game.

You can indeed manually save… you need to do it at a boat on an island.

The way the inventory system works is that you can only carry so much, so you end up leaving a ton of items laying around. The best idea is to lay them all out next to a boat, as you’re always going between islands.

Also, it would take about 5 minutes maximum to run back to a boat to save. Except for one particular section, where it takes 10 mins.

hmm I think I can live with 5-10 minutes. Will power caving… must… buy… game…

Another thing to note:

All dropped objects are persistent. However, it seems that if you kill a ton of enemies and don’t pick up the loot right away it disappears. But anything you drop stays.

Replayability seems suspect at the moment, having only a single “story” campaign and no randomization or sandbox type of game mode. I’ve only just begun the campaign so I can’t say how long it is but so far just the starting tutorial area (learning controls, pop-up tips, finding pages of survival guide, NPCs giving “training” tasks, etc) has been at least an hour for me.

In fact, I’m actually stuck at lighting the fire for the old guy. Game says to select the skill and press the USE key but it definitely ain’t working. Anybody else get this on PC?

Edit: figured it out… there’s a stack of sticks nearby that I needed to stand over to use the skill.

I put about 7 hours in so far, and I think I’m nearing the end.

Which is odd, because I’ve only filled out half of my skill tree. So either there’s a lot more game ahead of me, or you can only unlock half the tree, or there is a New Game +

I picked this up last night too and am enjoying it so far. The save thing is a little annoying. I wound up losing about 20 mins of play time last night. I put a few hours in last night (started third island) and the game is saying that I’m 45% through the story. I think $10 is about right for this. The developer has posted that they’re working on an online co-op mode and it should be out by the holidays. The combat is fun, as is the crafting and survival aspects. The different zombie types really help change things up during fights so far. All in all I’d give it a thumbs up and hope to see the Devs add on to it.

GreenManGaming have dropped the price down to $10.50, and you can use GMG25-GRV7N-YY833 to knock off another 25% - comes out around $7. Had a quick dabble tonight and it has potential. Using a gamepad on PC helped as well.

http://www.greenmangaming.com/s/au/en/pc/games/action/how-survive/

GreenManGaming have dropped the price down to $10.50, and you can use GMG25-GRV7N-YY833 to knock off another 25% - comes out around $7. Had a quick dabble tonight and it has potential. Using a gamepad on PC helped as well.

http://www.greenmangaming.com/s/au/en/pc/games/action/how-survive/

Well I caved and picked this up. Got about 20 minutes into the game last night and it crashed while loading up one of the survival guides. It was a good crash too, had to shut down the system. I haven’t seen a lot of complaints about the game crashing so hopefully this was an anomaly.

Yeah its been solid as a rock for me. I have to admit, I kinda enjoy the cheesy survival guide bits.