How well does an iPad work as an e-Reader?

I’ve read hundreds of pages with an original kindle and hundreds to thousands of pages with various iPads and iPhones. I see no advantage whatsoever to e-ink except for better visibility in full sun where I never read books anyway.

Personally, I’ve never understood what people see in e-ink. I’d rather be able to read in bed with very little ambient light, and not have to deal with that shitty screen redraw behavior.

It’s not clear to me that there are really any absolute facts here. Just opinion, experience and preference.

There are certainly absolute facts. For example, the fact is that backlit screens suck in sunlight. That may or may not matter to you, but it matters a whole hell of a lot to me because I do significant chunks of reading while waiting for or on a bus. E-ink has dramatically longer battery life (not the two months they claim, at least not for me, but several days at least between charges). E-ink readers weigh less, cost less, and are definitively not subject to eye strain. However, they have a low refresh rate and cannot do color.

PS: The Kindle Paperwhite, being side-lit, should retain all the advantages of e-ink but let you read in bed without a separate light.

Good god man, you recharge your kindle every couple of days? You must read for hours per day.

Between transit time and breaks at work, probably a couple hours per day. I could probably go maybe 10-12 days between charges. I’ve been pleasantly surprised at how well my iPad lasts on a single charge but I doubt I’d be able to go more than 2 days at a time with it as my primary reader.

Must be a hell of a commute. Sorry to hear it.

Nah, it’s about ten minutes.

… so you have hours of breaks at work? I am the opposite of sorry.

Reading on my iPad 3 in sunlight doesn’t bother me at all as long as the sun is not directly behind me and I can easily re-position when it is.

Battery life does not matter as long as the device has enough juice to work through a day, which iPad is capable of. I rarely come home with less than 50% in it and I usually charge it every 2-3 days. I took it with me on some long ass flights too (12 hours) and iPad’s battery life was sufficient for the entire trip (obviously I didn’t read non-stop, that would not be healthy :), I still had to eat, watch a movie, nap or listen to music).

Weight doesn’t matter because I never balance my reading devices in the air - it’s always either on my leg or a table or something.

I never experienced eye strain with iPad.

So much for absolute facts. :)

I’ve used several devices for reading and I like iPad 3 more than any of them.

Call me weird but I still prefer reading novels on my iPhone. Turning pages more frequently doesn’t seem to bother me at all and is worth the trade off in size and weight.

“One-handable” is such a great word.

I read novels on the Kindle app for my iPhone at lunch, so noone accuses me of goofing off by reading a book (while they jabber on about sports and celebrities). Works very well for me. And the company paid for the fucking thing.

The facts are the facts. You just cited why they don’t bother you, which is different.

Hehe, that’s right, the facts are the facts, including the irrelevant ones.

And that was the point of the post you replied to with your “absolute facts” - different people have different opinions about relevancy and priorities of various “facts” aka hardware specs. :)

Different people value different things.

I never disagreed with that. The facts are what they are. How relevant they are to your personal circumstances will of course vary. But they most certainly exist.

I’ve been reading ebooks since 2002 on a Palm 125m, Treo 755p, and most recently on an iPhone (and HP TouchPad.) I’ve never gotten the eye strain some complain about, and for me, the convenience of having my current book on a device I always have on me beats out any disadvantage from not having e-ink. It totally changed my reading habits, now any downtime is an opportunity to read.

That’s true but now that most of the ebook companies out there have phone apps with syncing there’s really no excuse to not have an e-reader in conjunction with a phone app for those few moments where you’re waiting in line or something.

The latest Kindle app update is so so cool as it allows even more control on font sizes. It’s gotta be the best updates ever!

I always have my Kindle on me. -shrug- I mean, I do have freakishly large pockets, which helps, but even when it didn’t fit in my pocket, it weighs less than a pound and is easy to carry around with me.

The base Kindle has 14 hour battery life; most tablets are 10-12 hours. Eink is better, but not dramatically so. And there is zero science to support the eyestrain thing. On the weight front, a 5.5" Samsung Galaxy Note II is lighter than a 6" Kindle.

Other than that, your facts seem factual.

So…let me get this straight. You’re telling me that the eyestrain I feel after reading for >30-45 minutes on the iPad is imaginary? Thanks, doc! I’m all cured now!

The Kindle battery life may theoretically be 14 hours (I don’t know where you’re getting that, but I’ll go along with it), but there’s a dramatic difference in how it uses power compared to an LCD/LED device. There’s essentially no standby usage, no display usage. The power use happens when you turn pages. Now, I’m a fast reader so when I use my Kindle, that happens a lot. But my iPad (which does do pretty well in sleep mode) is burning power the entire time the screen is on, whether or not I’m interacting with it.

PS: The Galaxy Note is a phone. A really big phone, but a phone.