How would you feel about a Star Trek movie from Quentin Tarantino?

So she’s a Star Wars fan?

Well she definitely likes Lego Star Wars! Which now makes me wonder why there was never any Lego Star Trek.

Imagine in 10 years when Disney hires the hot young director K.K. Babrams to remake the original trilogy.

The internet will destroy life on this planet.

Me? I’m a Wars Trek fan.

I’ll laugh if Tarantino plays it straight.

(I’m reminded of Grant Morrison’s run on the JLA - of course everyone was expecting some incomprehensible drug-addled foppery, but it turned out to be a respectful and brilliant run. Similarly with his All-Star Superman run.)

Who knows, maybe the big T is a die-hard Star Trek fan and really wants to bring back the classic TOS feel, that sense of wonder of a group of brave adventurers in a powerful but not invincible tin can, hurtling through the vast abyss of space, encountering weird marvels.

Mega Bloks got that license.

https://shop.megabrands.com/en-us/shop/construction-toys/star-trek/uss-enterprise-ncc-1701-dph83

Ok, it’s not much of an update but Tarantino is still talking like he wants to do a Trek movie.

I realize I’m likely the only person who cares in the slightest and is still paying attention to this stuff, but Tarantino is still talking like this film may happen and that it may in fact be his last movie:

Yeah, I know, more blah blah blah.

LOL Tarantino has said his last two movies were his last movie.

There is zero chance Paramount puts Star Trek into his hands.

I can see him retiring and then returning to direct again. He likes making movies.

That’s interesting he is going to set up that stricture on himself. However, if he does finally slip into retirement, I’ll predict that he will retire like Stephen King retired from writing or Steven Soderbergh retired from directing movies. That is, they couldn’t stay away and neither will QT.

Paramount is so far on board with this. From a June article:

It seems Quentin Tarantino’s Star Trek movie is slowly but surely forging ahead at Paramount Pictures. Tarantino was said to have pitched the idea for the film to Star Trek film producer JJ Abrams (who directed 2009’s Star Trek and its sequel, Star Trek Into Darkness ). Abrams liked the idea and brought it to Paramount, who sent it to a writers room to kick around. Screenwriter Mark L. Smith came out of that room tasked with developing a script for the film.

Yeah I remember when Stephen King said he was retiring after six more books. He’s probably writting 15 since then.

I can see QT doing some other kind of writing. Maybe he will write a film book and write a play. Maybe he will write a screenplay or two and give it to someone else. I think he will eventually make more movies, though.

Yeah, this is the easy part. They can humor him for a while, but nothing matters until someone has to start spending money.

I would love to see his take on Star Trek, because I bet he understands what the essence of it is better than many who have worked in its universe before him and would create something totally unique at the same time.

Hasn’t the Pine-era cast run its course? They’ve done three movies, which is what actors are usually signed to do. And it’s not like any of those movies were massive hits.

Why not give QT a crack at it?

Plus, he wants to do it. He wouldn’t be a hired gun like Jar Jar Abrams. And I agree with Dave; QT has a love for Star Trek that goes back. Remember that he did the rewrite of Crimson Tide and was the one who added in all the Star Trek dialogue.

What’s the worse that could happen? A bad movie? It’s not like that has stopped Hollywood from rebooting franchises.

OK, sure. Nobody is really committed yet, that’s true. But Paramount also hasn’t laughed him out of the room, and Tarantino is still talking this up like it’s a real possibility. I’m curious now that Once Upon a Time in Hollywood is wrapped and he has a little quote unquote spare time, if he pushes harder to get this going now.

Remember when Tim Burton was going to make a Superman movie?

I sure do, and that movie damn near got made except that their script was going to be a massively expensive budget and WB couldn’t afford the gamble. Your linked article mentions they were hemorrhaging money from losses on several big movies in a row. So if your point this that there’s a hundred different ways this could all fall apart, well ok. I guess that’s news.

Basically any movie studio not named Disney is struggling heavily right now. Paramount especially.

That might want them to play it safe, but then again it might want them to swing for the fences.