Hows the co-op in Vietcong?

I know a few of you were singing the praises of this game awhile back, but at the time I wan’t interested. I’m still not to interested in the SP game, but hows the co-op? I’m looking for something new to add to the LAN party rotation, and we’ve all been itching for some co-op lately. It’s either this or go through SS again.

As I recall it is a seperate set of missions. Also, I think you need to unlock them via the single player game but I could be wrong about that. You can probably unlock them via a hack or trainer as well.

– Xaroc

The co-op isn’t traditional co-op in the sense that you play through the single player game with other people. That probably wouldn’t work anyway, what with how Vietcong’s missions are paced.

Instead, there are maybe three or four co-op maps in the very small list of MP maps. These have you fighting against bots to clear the map. Some of them are pretty wild, like the hilltop siege. But there’s not a very fully developed co-op game here.

Having said that, get it anyway! This is really an unprecedented shooter for how it recreates gun battles rather than shooting galleries.

-Tom

You want true coop in a Vietnam setting? Try the less talked about but just as good Vietnam: Line of Sight. It has this small but hardcore following of loyal fans that have created not only mods, but entirely new campaigns because the game is very mod friendly.

Likewise, the coop in that game is the real deal. You can play all the single player missions, with goals, from start to finish campaign style. I submit that the jungle in that game is actually superior to the more expensively produced Vietcong as well. The weapon models and other graphics are not cutting edge however, but passable. The maps however are where the game really shines. They are enormous. You think the maps in Vietcong are big? They are tiny. Vietcong was on rails basically, this game is more like Hidden and Dangerous in that it offers huge outdoors areas. It is a nice little budget title if you are looking for a good Vietnam coop fix.

Get Vietcong. The coop missions are fun but there are only a few. The multiplayer capture the flag games in VC are great, i’ve spent many hours playing them. VC multiplayer is very underrated.

Vietcong also has a feature that I wish more FPS games would include, the way the user can right click to bring up the iron sights on the gun for improved accuracy and a little zoom. This combined with the way it handles crouching behind objects is brilliant.

For those who haven’t played it works like this, instead of a set height its dynamic depending on the object right in front of you. So you could be standing in front of a log thats about 2 feet high, you crouch and your character will get low enough to be fully covered by the log, then if you hold down the right mouse button you’ll pull your gun up to eye level and your character will pop up just enough to look over the log. You can fire off a few rounds then let go of the right mouse button and your chacter will drop back behind the log. Of course this is all only to a degree as some objects are too low to fully hide behind and others too high to pop up from.

In my opinion all realistic/military FPS games should include this feature. Imagine being able to do this in Day of Defeat, Call of Duty, or even BF1942/Desert Combat.

Download the single player demo to see how it works.

Agreed. It’s got some of the most intense firefights.

Vietcong also has a feature that I wish more FPS games would include, the way the user can right click to bring up the iron sights on the gun for improved accuracy and a little zoom. This combined with the way it handles crouching behind objects is brilliant.

In my opinion all realistic/military FPS games should include this feature. Imagine being able to do this in Day of Defeat, Call of Duty, or even BF1942/Desert Combat.

We can only wish. Any new, realism FPS without “iron sight” aiming is merely a toy, IMHO. Shooting from the hip is so totally passe… :roll:

I don’t know about VC vs. Line of Sight, since I haven’t played LOS, but VC is my pick for game of the year, or at least shooter of the year. As Chick said, the fighting is notable for its relative authenticity, and as tronnc said, the multiplayer Capture the Flag play is way above average. I’m one of those single-player-only, I-hate-multiplayer types, but VC multiplayer won me over, It’s the only game I like to play multiplayer, and I still love it all these months later. Get the game.

FWIW the Vietcong: Fist Alpha expansion pack is supposed to add more to the co-op side of things.

Well, thanks guys. You’ve kind of got me stoked to give it a try now. My pals and I have been hooked on MoH this last year and a half, but we’ve really been itching to play something co-op again. Damn I wish more developers would offer that as a MP feature!

How about some co-op Aliens vs Predator 2 using this mod:

http://www.avp2files.com/file.info?ID=9152

My buddies and I are going to give this a try.