HP 7 Stream versus similar tablets - Ideas

I’ve been looking at the HP 7 for quite sometime, and I think I’ll pull the trigger. With a 1 year old child, I’m not in the market for anything expansive, and since I’m finishing off my thesis, having Office 365 might be a welcome change from doing everything in Open Office. I would image that I would use it to stream Netflix and Hulu, but also browse, and with Windows 10 and the free upgrade, I feel relatively safe getting Windows 8.

But, while doing all my research, I noticed that the Microsoft store (which is where I want to shop, because Signature edition products come without bloatware) has the ASUS VivoTab 8 for 150 dollars. It has twice the Memory, and comes with Office as well. I’m kind of stuck. When just looking at the tablets, since the ASUS for 50 dollars off makes it very tempting. On the other hand, since I am getting it for the Office as well, I feel the extra 50 dollars might just be too much.

What’s the verdict of people in the know?

Though your use cases may differ. Though with the recent windows 10 announcements this might be cool to stream xbox one games too when that gets released.

Just do not get a 16GB tablet. Made that mistake (it was $70). Even with a memory card set for all data storage, there’s not enough space left in main memory for more than a few apps. 32GB is an absolute minimum.

I would get the 32 gb. I do most of my gaming at a desktop.

I can’t find of a use scenario for this. Coworker has one and he uses it for…OneNote at work?

LegoWarrior, looks like the big differentiators between the models you’re considering are:

Asus:
[ul]
[li]Larger screen
[/li][li]Office Home and Student (perpetual license)
[/li][li]GPS
[/li][li]Better battery life (9.25 hours vs. 7 for the HP)
[/li][/ul]

Toshiba
[ul]
[li]Smaller screen
[/li][li]Office 365 (one-year license)
[/li][li]Cheaper
[/li][/ul]

Personally, I’d go for the Asus, as the extra $50 now not only means better hardware, but you don’t have to pay again for Office next year. (Assuming Home & Student has all the apps you need.)

Take a look at this one:
http://www.microcenter.com/product/437499/TW801_Tablet_-_Black

Has a ton of ports, 8", 32gb emmc, 2gb ram, microsd slot. Same cpu as the hp stream 7.

If you’re interested in the Stream 7, it’s super cheap right now:

http://www.microsoftstore.com/store/msusa/en_US/pdp/HP-Stream-7-Signature-Edition-Tablet/productID.308781500

$79 + 1 year Office Personal + $25 gift card

It’s also the signature edition which means no crapware bloat.

I just saw it. I’m grabbing it.

Tempting at that price, but the battery life really bites… Hmm.

In Canada it’s $99 w/ $25 Windows Store credit included.