Humankind - a Historical 4X by Amplitude (Endless Space, Legend, etc.)

This game had an ad during the game awards. I thought it was an ad for a new Civilization game until they revealed the name.

I have it. Thus far I have been enjoying it, but I have always been a sucker for Civilization and in its clones. The game is different enough that it would be unfair to call it a clone of Civilization. Particularly in regard to combat the differences are pronounced. I think the early play period which will end on December 28 will fly by.

I jumped in cold after hearing about the open dev and 100 turns of play.

I’m told that unlike previous periods where the opendev were really just short scenarios, this current 100 turns of play is essentially what it would be like if were released now.

As someone who generally loves the starts of these huge 4x games, I am loving this opendev of just the first 100 turns. As far as that goes it has been very stable and interesting.

Good! When I tried the earlier opendev the choices seemed bland, but maybe they have improved stuff.

If you have Humble Choice Humankind is 34% off on Humble making it $39.83.

That gets you a Steam key of the Digital Deluxe edition which should let you into the Open Dev period. I think I am pulling the trigger now since I will always buy Amplitude games given my love for them and I want to try the Open Dev.

Update: You can gain access to the Lucy Open Dev branch on Steam even if you buy 3rd party such as Humble! Just make sure you redeem your key on Steam before linking accounts.

Summary

So how can you play the Humankind Lucy OpenDev? Just follow these simple steps:

1. Make sure that HUMANKIND™ is in your Steam library.
  2. If you have pre-purchased the Digital Deluxe Edition on Steam, it should be there already
  3. If you have purchased a Steam key from another retailer, you must Redeem the key on Steam first before proceeding to the next step
  4. Visit GAMES2GETHER
  5. If you already have an account, go ahead and login
  6. If you do not have an account, please create one
  7. Steam connect your G2G account on the rewards page here. If you have already connected your account in the past, you may need to re-sync
  8. Click on the “Lucy OpenDev” reward and hit Redeem.
  9. Go back to your Steam library, and Humankind – OpenDev should appear there automatically

Note: During events like the OpenDev, Games2Gether often experiences periods of intense traffic. If you are having any issues redeeming rewards, syncing accounts, or logging in, then please try again a bit later.

Umm…EGS says this releases in 2 days…:O

I just fired up EGS to check. It’s showing as April 30th release date to me.

That’s what I see as well.

The date is listed in US date order: Month/Day/Year and not rest of the world date order of day/month/year.

The game page lists it as coming out April 30th, but the main page for the deluxe edition shows May 1st…which is written as 05/01/21. And I think that’s what BBB saw. :)

One forgets one is surrounded by barbarians.

Anyone know of an article or video that shows off some recent Humankind gameplay, or your own impressions from the last OpenDev period?

I will grant day / month / year does make more sense, but you will never convince me commas should be periods and vice versa in numbers.

what is a period? Oh, you mean a fullstop.

Year.Month.Day is objectively right way of writing dates. Just so you know.

YYYY-MM-DD

C’mon, ISO 8601 exists for a reason. ;)

I was taught . art numbers referred to decimals, like 8.5 meaning 8 whole and half a whole.

It took me a while to get used to the spanish system, which uses commas where we use .

8.000.000 instead of 8,000,000.

€23,05 instead of €23.05 for your groceries…

But, back on topic, 2 months from release, shouldn’t the hype be picking up?

Oh, is that a Spain thing? Honestly I thought it was a EU/UK thing, but I never looked that close at it. I just know it’s wrong wrong wrong, haha. :)

This isn’t really the kind of game that gets a lot of hype, unless you mean around here specifically - in which case I think it is still a bit of an unknown quantity yet, at least from my perspective. Has there been any streams or dev deep dive type videos to explore the game’s mechanics? I’m guessing there must have been by now, but I feel like I know next to nothing about this - I do like the pedigree, though these guys have yet to “nail it out of the park” for me with any of their strategy games. There is always something I don’t like, from poor AI to slow/boring gameplay. I should on paper love Endless Legends but man does it feel like most turns come and go with nothing happening. Contrast with Age of Wonders 3, which I was much more into at the time, and every turn is important and has something cool happening in it.

EDIT: This is only a few days old, and pretty cool.

Not a UK thing. Confused the hell out of me when I first encountered it too.

Well, if they intend to be the Civ killer, you’d think they’d be amping up their marketing.

I mean, in dev land 2 months is nothing!

The marketing I’ve seen for this has all been super bland, as in “play this boring game because…”

I’m not saying it is boring, but the marketing doesn’t do anything to compel a fence sitter to want to purchase it. I still don’t understand why Amplitude went this direction.