Humankind - a Historical 4X by Amplitude (Endless Space, Legend, etc.)

I’ve retreated successfully and escaped, and I’ve caught the AI after an escape. I think you just had bad luck.

But is there one that lets you do a temporal pincer?

Definitely missing a lot of feedback on some of these mechanics. Things just kind of happen without warning or a clear reason.

Seems like a pretty standard Civ tech tree from my time with it. Would love to see some more interesting techs and wonders, but I’m not sure that’s ever been a thing Amplitude has really managed in their other games either. Buildings seem all over the place too balance-wise. I like the ones tied to terrain(mostly rivers) but other buildings just don’t seem great, especially when I can have something like a unique district that gives crazy bonuses. I’m the Khmer right now, and their unique district is just a no brainer to build in every territory.

Not sure what the difference is. I’m finding the battle stuff just weird, all around. Retreats at the start of battle, but also after a defeat. Just had a case where I had the AI down to a couple HP after three rounds, but he was sitting on his flag. So this was deemed a defeat, and I was sent many tiles away, and he came out of it with all his hit points.

I’m not sure whether this is evidence of very gamey mechanics, which for now favor the AI because I don’t know the ins and outs of the gamey rules yet. Or whether this is a method of tilting things to the AI to make the game competitive.

Certainly not enough to turn me against a very interesting game, though.

I just finished out my game and picked Joseon in Early Modern and just went research focus on all my cities. While a lot of the later techs and stuff seem very much WIP, there are some interesting changes in there. Hamlets really open your territories, suddenly letting you start to build out in more areas rather than just your main city/outpost sites. I like the way the naval progression goes to slowly open up deep ocean, rather than the usual Civ on or off system. Train stations are huge for movement bonuses, but I wish they kind of went along with hamlets in opening up productivity from new parts of your territories. They also have seem to have some ideas for making late-game colonization worthwhile(you unlock several tiers of cities that start with more buildings and there is a settler unit later on), but I don’t know if that will end up being the case.

I still think this has potential and is an interesting spin on the Civilization formula, but it clearly needs a lot of additional work.

Kind of worrying since it was supposed to ship this month. Doesn’t sound like it was pushed back for some gameplay adjustments and polish.

The fact that they pushed it so late and yet so many techs still don’t even have descriptions and a bunch of icons clearly still have placeholder art seems a bit odd.

Another pretty basic UX complaint that really bugs me the more I think about it is that the list of available buildings is just artwork with no words. For the districts that’s largely okay as they are mostly icons and there aren’t that many. But there are a lot of Infrastructure buildings, and while the artwork is very nice, it’s really hard to remember what is what, meaning you have to mouse over a bunch of them to find the one you want. If they would just display the name and building chain plus tier level underneath their nice artwork it would be significantly more usable. I have a feeling this one of those things where they let it looking pretty and clean trump it being usable.

This is driving me crazy: At one point, each of my outposts had either an attach button or a detach button right on the main map. Now it’s gone, and although I know how to attach a territory to a city without that button, I do not know how to detach one previously attached. No idea if this is a bug, or if I had some particular screen or overlay up. Anyone know this?

Always showed up for me if I zoomed out the appropriate amount on the main map. I’m curious how you do it without the button on the main map?

It’s fine that we’re struggling to figure out how to use a core feature of the game, right? I’m maybe extra salty because people always praise the UI in Amplitude games, and yet the UX here is just frustratingly bad, even for a 4X.

The merchant focused techs are very broken right now, I set a new personal high score on “metropolitan” (one up from default) and I pretty much stopped thinking the last 2 ages- I would have done better if I’d started buying up infrastructure sooner. Basically I’d spend n turns with all cites working on a wonder (cant buy those) then buy a couple of units, some districts and infrastucture (all in 1 turn) and then on to the next wonder. I like the ideas in the game but I hope they manage to get them reasonably tuned by relase.

There’s a little chain icon to the right of each outpost.

And almost as soon as I posted, I found the attach/detach buttons. You have to have the particular city open. Which kind of makes sense.

The interface for attachments is definitely annoying as is the way you need to go through multiple clicks To see the remaining stars oncev you have The seven required to go to the next age. I’m also annoyed by the trade interface, is there a way to go from civ to civwithout backing up to the diplomacy screen and then clicking on the next one?

I think they make nice looking interfaces, but they aren’t necessarily friendly. I think all of they games didn’t make it easy to see the effects of your choices, like when building an improvement.

Interesting. I’m getting quite a bit of money without focusing on it at all, so yeah they’ll probably need to adjust their costs. From their roadmap sounds like they need a substantial rebalance pass before release. Don’t envy their dev team. ;)

I tried focusing on builder and influence - in my current run I have a lot of influence which allowed me to block the AI from expansion and they all agreed to non aggression pacts, which is good since I have a tiny army. However I only have one high production city (my capital) that can build anything quickly. I dithered far too long in the classical age trying to get emblematic districts everywhere and subsequently didn’t get my first choice. I debated taking the Persians or Carthage and ended up picking the former. Bummer.

Not that 've seen. A ledger with a summary list of everything going on might be useful I think. That said I’m more forgiving of the interface then most here, I don’t mind terribly much clicking around to find information. It already takes me a long time to play anyway, I’m not overly bothered by a few more clicks.

For the moment anyway the game really scratches a 4x itch I didn’t know I had. Guess I’ve played so many Paradox games the past six months it’s kind of a relief not dealing with an endless stream of negative random events. :)

Apparently there’s a way to buy out independent cities, But I can’t see how to do it. Does it happen on the diplomacy screen or the map screen and how?

On the map screen, click on the independent city. You can assigned influence and/or money (the star and coin icon on the bottom, screen shot below). Once it’s high enough there’s a button to assimilate them and presto, you have a new city (I didn’t keep track of how much influence/gold this required.)

On the balancing, this thread and post from reddit (below) hint that there may not be as much balancing as one would think. By way of example, I’ve been the religious leader since the start of the game and can choose the religious tenets - I just kept picking + influence per follower. In the early classical period I’m getting over 600 influence a turn (this can be science or money too) and I’m sure that number can be pushed a lot higher with attention paid to it (I’m just playing and that’s what happened organically.)

I don’t necessarily mind, but I’m probably an outlier in this regard. The game has plans for what looks like robust modding so I imagine there’ll be some community mods that might change some of this. To be clear, I’m really enjoying the game and I’m quite addicted to it, going to be sad when the open dev ends heh.

https://old.reddit.com/r/HumankindTheGame/comments/mz0wwt/the_1_x_per_religious_follower_is_broken/

GeniusPantsPhD 21 points 1 day ago*
I hope they balance it, but I have doubts they actually will. Anyone who has played endless legend or endless space know these exact same kind of numbers were easily attainable in a number of ways, especially in endless legend and I suspect it is because they insist on their games only taking 300 turns to complete instead of 400 to 500 turns. In order to wrap a session up that fast, yields end up needing to be huge and bloated science production from faith seems like a classic Amplitude way of pushing yields way, way, way up there. It’s the same for most yields in the game. I did a merchant play through with 9K gold per turn for the last 30 turns of the game. It was ridiculous. There wasn’t a single problem I couldn’t buy my way out of. This sort of stuff has been around in previous games of theirs which is why I don’t think it’ll be as nerfed as people want it to be. When it’s an observed pattern across multiple games, it isn’t simply coincidence, it’s intended design.

Yeah, just looking at the culture choices, those choices are tough because they are almost all humongous buffs. I’m sure they know this.

The two questions are whether all of them are reasonable choices at least under some circumstances, and whether the AI can utilize them effectively.

thanks! Realize now that usually I get independent out posts that get razes before they manage to make it into cities. I will try to look for one that I can take over!

despite my ui gripes i too really do like game. i am looking forward to seeing what the later ages are like