Humans on AMC

Liking what I’ve seen of the first episode so far. They’ve nailed the uncanny valley pretty well.

Later: it looks like they’re also exploring a lot of the issues that would come up, especially if synths/robots became sentient. I remember a novel by Robert Silverberg from way back that dealt specifically with that issue.

I thought Humans was excellent and holds great promise. Many of these themes have been explored in both novels, movies and TV before, but not well on screen. Despite the opportunities that Caprica had (and squandered) to do a long form dramatic presentation of many of them, the path is clear to do something new and insightful with the android-as-parable and cautionary tale approach to the subject.

The UK started airing Humans two weeks prior to AMC, so the [Edit: 3rd] episode has been released there as of last night.

I watched two episodes and like you said, we’ve all seen these themes explored before, but it’s being done properly.

I remembered why I never used amc.com before. The show would stop, and I had to restart the stream 4-5 times (tried different browsers, even an ipad). It does not seem I am alone in these complaints. It’s been years, and they can’t fix this? TBH thought there’s very few sites who seem to be able to deliver a working video player.

My PC had to fly to the UK to access the rest of the show. Weather sucked, but the show was worth it.

It’s being shown on channel 4 in the UK, so if your PC can fly to the UK you can easily watch it in HD via “C4 on Demand”. We’ve only had 3 episodes, as of last night.

ps; It’s a cool show.

pps: Whilst watching something else last month an advert came on TV about buying your own human android slave. I was stunned – I had no idea technology was this advice. How is this possible and I didn’t read about it on the internet?

Next advert break revealed it was just a fake advert for Humans. :( Fool me once…

What was the “Anita” synth’s real name again?

BTW I was pleasantly surprised to find out it was a British show. Somehow I find that most British sci-fi offerings (especially on TV) are more nuanced and interesting than American ones.

Gemma Chan

Actually, I meant the character’s real name (the one the “liberator” guy and his synth friend were looking for), not the actress. I figured the actress was Eurasian, she had that look about her.

Watched Episode 03. The series is not ploughing new ground as such (indeed, it is based heavily on the 2012 Swedish series "Real Humans) and Asimov and others have taken us here before – but it does it very well.

This is essentially a novel for television and while the pace is a little slow, it feels like they are doing all of this story real justice. I’m a fan. It’s a shame the season only has eight episodes. Give that it has had the best ratings of any drama on Ch. 4 in the UK for more than 20+ years, I expect that there will be a more committed pickup for Season 2.

This series is a hit.

So in last night’s episode*, was the synth’s (Maxie IIRC) attaching electrically live wires to his organic friend’s wound an attempt to cauterize it or a misguided attempt to “recharge” him?

*the second in the U.S.

Neither. His brother is an android who appears to be human and bleeds - but underneath, he’s as synth as the rest. The close-up of the wound and the attachment reveals his true nature.

Right. I was expecting his eyes to flash green when he opened them in the final scene. It was an interesting twist. I’m very much liking this show so far. As others have said, it’s not exploring new ground, but it’s covering standard themes thoughtfully and well.

Wow, I totally thought the guy was human. Gotta freeze frame that moment.

I wonder if he even knows that he’s a synth. That was quite a surprising twist for me.

I’m in the surreal position of being ahead of Americans in terms of TV stuff.

episode 4

Yes he knows, in the next(?) episode he plus a laptop into himself.

My recollection of the scene was that he was human, he just has android parts. There was a subsequent discussion between him and the black mandroid, where the mandroid pointed out he wasn’t an android but just had android bits.

Last episode

The scene where the father used the adult mode was cosbyesque.

Watched now to end of Episode 05. This is easily my favorite show of those now currently airing this summer. It’s not perfect, but like an onion it reveals more with each layer pulled back as the series goes on without spoiling the underlying mystery. Good stuff.

Tonight’s episode on AMC did not disappoint. You can see that the required “full epidermal inspection” started giving Mr. Hawkins ideas.
Also noticed in the credits that this is based on a Swedish series. What is it with the Swedes, man? So many shows these days seem to be remakes of Swedish ones.

Up to episode 5 now on C4. They’ve recovered from most of the wobbles so far (esp. episode 3, where it looked like it might be going off the deep end), though I’m less convinced by the human characterisation than the synths at this point.

Yep, they are producing some really good TV stuff lately! Have watched the original Humans show and its pretty cool, though it does meander a bit in the second season…

I finally got around to watching the first episode and really liked it. The casting for “Anita” is just spot on. William Hurt’s storyline is quite touching. Looking forward to viewing the next few eps to catch up.