Humble Bundle key redemption is awesome again (mostly) but the games are kinda meh

We’ll see what they do, but that would be the smart choice. I’d cheerfully take a Steam key, or even more cheerfully take a DRM-free coopy through Humble or GOG (not that that would ever happen).

Hotshot Racing is an homage to Sega arcade racing games from the ‘90s. It’s definitely a nice inclusion in this bundle. Not as good as I’d hoped (I tested it) but also absolutely worth playing.

They do when you buy from their store.

I think jumping to conclusions about the form Control will be taking is premature currently. Not that I don’t understand where people are getting the idea.

Not really, Control isn’t a shocklike game at all. You run around and use your magic powers and guns to kill monsters. it relies a lot on exploration and has logs lying around for backstory, that’s really the only shocklike characteristic.

I mean in a way, most games owe a lot to Looking Glass these days, anything with “RPG elements”, but Control is much further away than Prey which has a direct lineage.

I guess I don’t have a lot of non-Shock, non-open worl reference points for modern shooters. What would you say it IS similar to, in terms of structure?

I would probably say F.E.A.R. is the closest. It didn’t inherit that game’s excellent enemy AI, but the gameplay is similar, lots of exploration of interior structures, shooting bad guys, magic powers, and supernatural elements.

F.E.A.R., by the way, holds up great these days if you can stomach its primitive graphics. Gameplay hasn’t progressed all that much in the past 15-odd years.

Control - Support announced that we would have a choice of Epic or Steam.

Must be the complete edition then, or people picking Epic would be booooned.

n/m 2345

(I had started a post earlier saying how the speculation had begun about it having to be an Epic key but hadn’t submitted it, then somehow it ended up posted even though I thought I’d discarded it).

Or…sounds like they’re going to make a separate-DLC version on Steam. Which is backwards AF, if you ask me, but apparently DLC entries have been spotted on Steam DB.

This is good to know although I wonder how they’ll provide a key that only unlocks the base game on Steam. Old keys, maybe?

No, there’s never been a Steam version without DLC. Unless they’re going to add one fresh.

Well, that’s weird. But didn’t they end up doing something similar with Shadow of the Tomb Raider?

I think that was taking the old version with separate DLC and replacing it with a bundled edition.

They added the individual DLC 6 hours ago according to SteamDB.

I don’t understand the site very well, but I assume they’re adding the base game as well if it isn’t already.

I finished it and found it great. But I am Piranha Bytes’s style of RPGs fan. The setting of Elex is a hodgepodge of everything (post-apocalyptic scifi fantasy, basically) but somehow it works well enough. It has that Piranha atmosphere and world is fun to explore.

I agree, but it doesn’t hold your hand at all. It’s very easy to go into areas where you’re vastly out-leveled and ill equipped for. It also doesn’t really guide you on what the hell you’re supposed to be doing. If you’re the type to easily get frustrated, read a beginners guide before playing.

I mean…if you go to an area where enemy kicks your ass, run away and come later. That doesn’t really require a guide :)

Just doing the quests around the starting village (that looks like it’s from Gothic 2) provides a good way to get started.

March bundle is out, and Control is either STEAM or EPIC , you pick.

I was gonna skip, but they gave me a $4 coupon so I figured what the hell, I might play Elex at some point and why not own Control in two separate stores?

I mean, because it’s stupid, that’s why not, but I did it anyway.