Humble Bundle key redemption is awesome again (mostly) but the games are kinda meh

Oh nice. That’s a good price. Is that game expected to be a 2022 release, or is it 2023? Does anyone know?

How is it as a single-player game? Only buy if you’re into survival games?

Unfortunately these days my very extended adolescence (I’m 60 but in some ways live like I’m still in college-- being single helps) is no more, since I’m my mother’s caretaker (memory issues, can’t really live by herself).

Definitely only if you like survival/crafting games. It’s a fairly relaxed game as the genre goes. It’s not spoiling anything by saying you’re already dead, so “survival” is more about overcoming obstacles, retaining inventory (although there’s still corpse runs you can do) and maintaining skill levels than any dramatic risks. Although it should be noted the game is far from completely chill; AI assaults happen as rare events, boss battles to unlock next tiers, certain biomes being exceptionally challenging, etc…

However, there’s only the skimpiest barebones of a story and a limited variety of enemies; Valheim is primarily for lovers of sandbox games. Because of that lack of story content, I’d suggest playing with friends on a closed server, but it’s not like you need to arrange raids or worry about PvP events.

You and I seem to have similar taste in games based on purchase habits and other threads. I went into Valheim thinking it would be a fun little Minecraft-like diversion for a few hours while I was between games.

I’ve spent 150 hours in it so far.

I can’t explain the appeal other than “it just grabs you”. There is always another task you want to accomplish, always another area to explore just over that next hill, always something new to find or build…and while it is quite hard at first, overcoming those initial challenges and slowly learning the limits of what you can do as you advance through the biomes and discover more and more is a big part of the fun.

If you dig survival/exploration/crafting games at all, you will enjoy Valheim. $12 is a steal for it.

Did Valheim ever tweak the drop rate and/or wildlife density? It wasn’t a bad game but, playing it a year ago, it was just miserably grindy, especially if you died and had to replace your gear. It took eons to get a few scraps of leather because there were too few boars and the ones that were present often dropped nothing when killed.

There was clearly the germ of a great game there, but it was a total chore to play at that point.

You can get a similar price at greenmangaming without all this humble choice nonsense.

Boars can be tamed and farmed.

I’m honestly not much of a survival game guy. The Long Dark and Don’t Starve for instance do not appeal to me much at all, nor does Minecraft (although I’m impressed with the stuff some people, including my nephew, have created in it). I played about 60 hours of No Man’s Sky two-three (four?) years ago till I got tired of the resource-gathering/base-building grind, but they’ve added so much to that that I’d like to check it out again (plus it’s so pretty).

Everyone was falling all over themselves (I would go so far as to use an expression involving “cream” and “jeans”) about Valheim when it came out that it intrigued me. Still, Early Access and all.

What’s the reproduction rate? Because it’s not an exaggeration to say there were 3 boars on the whole starter area of the map we were playing on and they did not respawn especially quickly.

If you get a pair, FAST. However, I believe there’s a maximum sustainable amount in a given area. One- and two-star variants will give birth to more of the same and will then provide even more leather & meat when slaughtered.

Edit - it should be noted they’re quite tricky to tame if you don’t know exactly what you’re doing, so check out some guides if you don’t want several misadventures.

Interesting. Well, if I ever get back to it I’ll clearly have to do that. Considering the game mechanics its basically required, it seems.

Well you can’t wear cream jeans now anyway as it’s after Labor Day.

I think they did tweak boar spawns and locations some after launch, and some map seeds can be pretty terrible on certain resources, including boars in the meadows regions. I had the opposite experience, as boar spawns were pretty much everywhere in the meadows of my initial map seed. It was Thistle in the Black Forest that was my personal bane. Black Forest everywhere, but Thistle few and far between.

I doff my hat to you, sir.

I’m still tempted to try Valheim out, and this is a darn good price. Hope there’s a roadmap for the publisher to release it before the 32nd of Nevruary of the year the sun goes nova.

Well, I did it, I bought Valheim and started a game. I do see the appeal. Don’t know how I’m going to put a roof over my workbench but it seems like a good time. The world seeds are random I take it? And it seems to auto-save when you quit?

Grabbed Valheim too. Bee hives are a pain in the ass early game, but enjoying it so far.

Does a new monthly drop tomorrow?

I am bad at calendars.

Indeed, sir. And maybe, just maybe, if we wish hard enough and clap our hands, Tinkerbell will live, and more importantly, Terminator Resistance will be one of the games! ;-)

The more people that buy it during the new years sales, the better chance it will be in the monthly bundle!

Do your part people!

Well, no Terminator: Resistance for us this month.

Borderlands 3 and Borderlands 3: Director’s Cut are the headliners. One would think the latter included the base game but apparently it’s just a DLC collection. The other games (which I know nothing about) are:

BLACK BOOK 94% of 2,672
PER ASPERA 72% of 2,285
JUST DIE ALREADY 82% of 971
BEFORE WE LEAVE 79% of 744
PARADISE LOST 72% of 918
EVERHOOD 96% of 6,485
CALICO 90% of 2,056

I think I may be over Borderlands these days. Heard that 3 had lost some of the magic, too.

Paradise Lost is an ok walking sim.