Humble Bundle key redemption is awesome again (mostly) but the games are kinda meh

Path of Giants looks pretty neat if you like the puzzle style game it offers.

Indivisible is a release by a major indie studio (the makers of SkullGirls). Frog Detective is lauded in indie circles for its humor (I found the first one a little TOO twee, but that’s a matter of taste). Several of the lesser-known games in here look small but polished.

Overcooked and Morta aren’t scrappy indie projects. They’re substantial, quality games from established small publishers. Those two are the anchor offerings here. I know there have been games like XCOM 2 as anchors in the past, but I don’t think that’s typical.

I totally get if people look at this and say “A bunch of these are on Game Pass.” But that’s different than saying this is a shoddy Choice offering.

Looks like they’ve completely given up on convincing AAA games to join Humble Choice. I’m happy with Indivisible, One Step From Eden and Overcooked 2, but there does seem to be an awful lot of junk in here.

that would be fine by me.
i think this bundle looks excellent - if skipping a AAA game means three big indie productions of this quality, i consider that a much better value

For anyone blowing off the “anime games” I’ll strongly recommend the Zwei games, especially Ilvard Insurrection. This is top tier Japanese action RPG gaming on the level of the Ys games.

It’s also got some really interesting ideas like a modular UI similar to Nier Automata, though done in a goofier and more broken fashion (for example, buying and equipping a HUD element that lets you do math equations that boost your critical hits while you fight).

Since I’m passing on this month, I’m not going to redeem the Choice gift I bought myself. Anyone know if there is a time limit on redeeming that or can I just wait until a month I want shows up?

I’d call this a very solid mid-lister bundle myself. I’ve never heard of Beast Inside, but Overcooked 2 and Children of Morta (which I already own both of) are very well regarded, as are One Step from Eden and the Zwei games, and Indivisible sounds pretty cool (although I’d been reluctant to buy it until it was clarified who got the money since the studio head is apparently sufficiently awful that most of the studio quit rather than work with him and he then fired the rest.). Frog Detective 1 and 2 aren’t big games but I’ve heard really good things. Path of Giants looks solid. Shining Resonance Refrain isn’t a name to conjure by but it seems like people like it well enough as action JRPGs go and it’s usually around as much as the bundle by itself on discount. And Tabletop Playground is by most accounts substantially better than Tabletop Simulator, it just hasn’t had the critical mass to get widespread mod support - maybe this will change that.

I mean, I’d call it “shoddy” because 1) I genuinely can’t distinguish this from your average $4 Fanatical bundle and 2) I wouldn’t buy it at that price, either. To each their own, obviously, but it really is the single easiest pass ever for me.

On a related note, am I crazy or have they added yet another click to the unsubscribe process? I think I just had to verify that I was serious 6 times.

One Step from Eden is a spiritual successor to the Mega Man Battle Network games and has been on my radar for a while. I’m pretty happy with this month offering both that and Indivisible plus the headliners of Overcooked 2 and Children of Morta. I’d prefer more bundles in this vein of “games I’d like to own but probably won’t buy outside of a bundle” than the “few year old AAA game headliner and some random games that underperformed for good reason” I’ve felt like they’ve been pushing.

Bad month.

Overcooked! 2 + Too Many Cooks + Surf ‘n’ Turf Pack. Gamepass game.
Indivisible. Gameapss game. Seemed promising, but also the steam reviews has fallen to Mixed.
Children of Morta. Gamepass game. Decent, but I didn’t love it.
One Step From Eden. It looks way too hard for me!
The Beast Inside. This looks good. But I still have other games pending to play, like for example The Forest.
Shining Resonance Refrain. Too anime.
Zwei: The Arges Adventure. Too anime.
Zwei: The Ilvard Insurrection. Too anime.
Tabletop Playground. No interest in these tabletop simulators.
The Haunted Island, a Frog Detective Game.
Frog Detective 2: The Case of the Invisible Wizard. They look cute and possibly funny, but don’t think you get a ton here, it seems they are a short experience.
Still There. No interest in p&c adventure games.
Struggling. This looks fun.
Path of Giants. A decent puzzler but I have many.

So “Bad month for someone who subscribes to Game Pass and has a low anime tolerance.” That’s totally valid, but it’s different from “bad month.”

When people say “bad month” they’re speaking for themselves, not as some sort of universal.

That’s a good way of putting it.

Man they went all-in with the pre-teen anime girl aesthetic this month. The whole freaking second row; you could swap the title text between the images and I wouldn’t be able to say that is incorrect.

Looks like they tried sweetening the deal with a $5 coupon of of EA Play Pro, but only if you purchase/commit this week.

Ugh, I hate when stuff like that is in there. If you’re gonna make me pay for a coupon, it better be a GOOD coupon.

Yeah, that’s what I mean. I’m only stating my interest in the games but I know we all have different tastes and my hard pass is someone else’s treasure chest.

This is a miserable thread. I’m muting it and letting you know because it’s just not fun to see what is in the bundle via Qt3. It’s a constant stream of shitposting over what are usually quality games for about a dollar each.

Okay. Though I do think it’s possible for Humble to present a fairly universally unwanted list of games, and I guess that was the judgment I was feeling from many people weighing in this morning. If they had just said “I don’t want/need any of these games,” I wouldn’t object. But we got:

Should I have interpreted those as “utterly pathetic, for my current gaming needs” and “on my personal shovelware list” or “disappointed in Humble, but others might love it!”?

Perhaps: “As an ongoing customer, this makes me question my commitment to this endeavor and reduces my willingness to forestall the inevitable date I give up on the whole thing.”

You should interpret it as the posters disliking what they see.