Humble Bundle key redemption is awesome again (mostly) but the games are kinda meh

As a consumer you may like that, but I guess devs disliked it. So while on one hand it can disincentivize some purchases, it may incentivize some devs to take HB offers.

I mean, it’s an artifact of how Humble started, as an indie promotion and charitable giving thing run by a quirky indie team. Once it became a huge thing with corporate ownership, and once it started selling bundles full of AA and AAA games, it was bound to disappear. I’m honestly amazed it lasted as long as it did because yeah, I’d think it would be very off-putting to most of the publishers they work with these days. My best guess is that it wasn’t a huge obstacle because relatively few of us used it.

Yeah, I basically never did. And am much more annoyed by their backwards-ass take that having to click through to different tiers is somehow more convenient than a tiny amount of scrolling. Although it definitely sucks for charity.

Yeah, that’s just idiotic.

The charity aspect of Humble has always been an attractive side benefit of purchasing through them, but has never been the deciding factor for me (excluding the specific 100% to charity bundles they sometimes run). If anything, I would usually adjust the sliders to give a good chuck of the Humble share to charity instead of taking anything more away from the developer share. I figure Humble was making decent money even at $0.50 per bundle sold. This doesn’t seem to change anything for me other than Humble hard-coding themselves a larger share. That larger share will come from the charity portion (which is a shame, but it’s still raising lots of free money for the organizations involved) and the dev portion (which is crappy, and could end up causing some devs to rethink their use of Humble or result in higher overall bundle prices).

100% this. Scrolling down was a very easy way to see what was available at what price and make an instant decision. Tabs are going to requite three or four times the amount of time involved. Plus having everything listed on one scrolling page made information capture easy for people like me who often post the bundles and deals on sites like QT3. This new way will be awkward and time consuming.

Humble just set their Legacy slider to 0%.

Hmm. Darksiders Genesis is great, but I already have it. Don’t care about Metro. What’s Hellpoint?

Dark Souls in Space if I recall correctly.

A soulsy ARPG thing.

Ha! There is the Darksiders Genesis that a bunch of us predicted would be in the April bundle.

On the other hand, Metro Exodus is a title I’ve been close to pulling the trigger on many times, and now I am glad I waited. $12 (or less if I play the “are you sure you want to pause?” game) would be a historic low and worthwhile for me. Getting Hellpoint too would be a huge bonus, and I’m surprised it’s on offer in a Choice Bundle this soon.

I believe Hellpoint is a Souls-like style game. (Edit: Ninja’d)

Metro Exodus is a phenomenal game and I have heard good things about Darksiders Genesis though I already own both. Looks like a great month for those interested in the headliners, but another pause for me due to ownership (unless there is something amazing buried in the unrevealed titles).

My guess is Exodus will be without the DLCs.

I’m remembering correctly that the Metro games are linear shooters with checkpoints that are bastard hard and super-stingy with the ammo, yes?

I know I’m probably in the minority, but I get less interested in Humble Choices when they announce a bunch of big-name titles.

Exodus has linear small/medium open maps, I think you can save at any time.

Did they reveal the whole thing already for next month, or just the headliners?

Somewhat true for the first two titles. Exodus has a very different approach. It is not fully open world like an Ubisoft game, but it has large open areas you can explore connected by train rides between the areas so more like a hub-and-spoke design with the train serving as the hub. Each of the large openish areas features a different biome and different cultures/enemies/factions so there is a lot of variety throughout the length of Exodus. I also don’t remember struggling with ammo scarcity as much in Exodus and there is a whole scavenging, repairing, and crafting element that eases and evens out some of the resource management for those that enjoy exploring every nook and cranny. There is a still a strong linear element threading through all of the open areas, but you have much more leeway than in the previous titles.

One thing I really like about Exodus is there was a lot of heart present. Your companions really cared about each other and also cared about inflicting minimal casualties when engaging other groups. Your companions would often ask you to go as non-lethal in a given mission as possible before you set out and would then comment after the mission as to how true to that you stayed. If you ended up killing a lot of enemies they would be disappointed and scold you and likewise praise you if you managed to complete your goals with mostly non-lethal means or stealth. That was a refreshing approach that added quite a bit to my immersion.

Don’t know if you’re in the minority, but I definitely like to see a couple of bigger games I’ve actually heard about among the titles. There’s still room for 9-10 indie titles. I’m especially unenthused when all of the titles seem to be weeb-oriented stuff.

Nice, I’ve had Hellpoint and DG on my list of games to check out.