Humble Bundle key redemption is awesome again (mostly) but the games are kinda meh

Great month! Lot of good options for running on a laptop too, so I can get in some office gaming.

This is a good one for me, I’ve been waiting on a deal for Bloodstained to get my Castlevania on. I also got $4 off so it was a steal.

I wonder if HB would ever consider some sort of group wishlist system for Choice subscribers, to influence what games end up in monthlies.

I am slightly jealous of the people who can threaten to pause and get an additional discount, instead of a threat that my deal for getting 12 games for $12 will no longer be valid if I pause.

That threat has been pretty effective in keeping me on for 3 months when I didn’t really want the bundle. Threats are effective!

I think it is simply more people are going to make a reply when they do pause, vs. people coming in to say “not pausing” so the results are skewed. I’ve been subscribed for much too long, and don’t think I’ve ever paused because my Steam catalog must grow. I’m winning.

Yeah, what happens sometimes is that if you bought last month’s bundle and haven’t yet bought the newer one, you still keep your perks.* But if you paused last month you have to buy the current one to get them again.

*You can even game the system a bit by waiting till the last day or two to pause the current month, but buy things on the Humble store with the subscriber’s discount or d/l games from the Trove.

So when can we start blaming IGN for definitively ruining Humble Monthly?

It’s been better since the change to Choice, full stop. I’ve paused so much less, and even the bundles I skipped never seemed as bad as the Monthly bundles I skipped, but I had more info to make the decision.

From the sound of it I think the big thing that’s making it feel worse for folks is competition from Gamepass. As someone who thinks Microsoft’s store is a radioactive trash fire and would much rather own my games (to the extent that digital ownership is possible, granted) than rent them, I really don’t care what’s on Gamepass. But if you subscribe to that, it seems like there’s significant overlap.

I generally buy one every 3-4 months on average, and would rather retain the option to do so for $8.

The main issue I’ve found is that every game that hits humble is on its way to the proverbial bargain bin, and this is just its first stop.

Upon further consideration, Superliminal seems like it could be interesting, as well as Cepheus Protocol*. If I were 30 years younger and still had the twitch reflexes I’d probably play Bloodstained and the 3D platformer Blue Fire.

Anything that’s not primarily single player is out for me these days–real life obligations make it difficult if not impossible to schedule multi-player with people now.

*Although in a case like that, where the game is in early access, I wonder how much effort the devs are going to put into finishing the game when (as @Bluddy notes) the thing is this close to being in the proverbial bargain bin already.

I almost exclusively buy super on-sale stuff just because they discount so fast. There is also a dearth of good games typically and so it takes a really, really good game for me to buy it full price or console (see Ratchet and Clank: Rifts Apart).

Enh, I caved. Suck it, haters! This is only the 4th monthly I’ve bought since “classic”. I am the king of pausing!

Anyway, got the $4 coupon. Already played a bit of Superluminal. Neat!

Interested to try Bloodstained, Carto, As Far as the Eye, Nowhere Prophet, and maybe Encodya.

All you whining serial pausers will be missing out

Why does that guy immediately make me think of Bill Clinton?

Because he is pretty cool, all things considered?

I have a spare Bloodstained key available, PM me if you want it. gone

Best Video Game Trailer of 2021, hands…uh…down.

Great indeed. But I wonder what motivates people to do something like this. The game’s obviously more a pop-gaming-art-collage than gaming, isn’t it? I can’t decide if the people who made it really wanted to make a game or something else. And if it’s something else… is there a market for it? And if not… how can one afford to do stuff like this? I guess you really have to be an artist.

Many games maintain their prices for a very long time. If humble is just the first stop once the dev is finally ready to seriously drop the price, I can wait a little to get even better prices, especially since out of every bundle I’m interested in only a few of the games. Recently I tend to pause and instead just buy the games I actually want.