Humble Bundle key redemption is awesome again (mostly) but the games are kinda meh

You joke, but RPS really liked that one and it looks like one of the highlights for me.

If they gave me $8 off, making this month four bucks, I’d do it just for gamecount++++++++++. For $8 cost, nah.

I remember back when every month had one or two AAA titles from the previous year. Those days are long gone. Epic and Amazon Prime giveaways are better than the paid Humble Bundle.

Timelie is on my wishlist, as is Mobius Front 83 (the one Zachtronics game I don’t own). Turnip Boy is “the funniest game I’ve ever played” (RPS) and BPM looks like an intriguingly insane idea. I’m in!

The extra looks interesting to me:
NAiAD / A game by HiWarp

Immerse yourself in a relaxing, minimalist and colorful exploration experience. Flow with Naiad across a mysterious river and interact with its fauna and flora to discover little secrets.

Glad I held off on BPM and Wingspan last sale. Wrath looks decent as well; with all of the retro shooters in the past year or so I must have lost it in the shuffle.

Wrath by itself is $25, so I’m feeling pretty good about this month. Getting it for $12 is great, and everything else is a bonus.

Of course, Wrath won’t be out for over a year, probably, so that blunts the value a bit. It’s still very early access.

Much better month for me. I almost bought Wingspan a week ago and Due Process is on my wishlist. Those two are probably worth the price alone.

Also, I already have it but Project Wingman is lots of fun.

It looks like one of the better months in a while, maybe no big AAA name, but a bunch of highly rated games, and on a quick look, no DOA multiplayer game.

I don’t even want those days back. There were a few exceptions, but for the most part it felt like the AAA “anchor” games had already been heavily discounted to the point that I would have already bought them if I cared about them. And securing them probably took up a disproportionate amount of the budget every month.

I’m good with them focusing on indies, just not particularly impressed with their curation. Looking back at the past couple months of Game Pass, for example, there are over a dozen indie games that I had personally heard of and had some interest in checking out (ironically, including a couple from Humble Publishing). If Humble was consistently mustering three or four of that caliber for my tastes per month, I’d be perfectly content with the subscription, but it seems like it’s usually more like one.

A bundle solely consisting of indie games >6 months after release is not a particularly strong pull for me. But of course YMMV.

Been frustrated by this lately. Not a great look when they’re pushing titles to Game Pass on release date that’d be solid additions to the monthly bundles.

Who said anything about >6 months after release? I think around half of the games I’m talking about were on Game Pass on release day, and the other half came out over the summer, so ~3 months. Obviously Microsoft can throw around a lot more money, but presumably these developers are at least open to arrangements other than individual full-price sales.

You think incorrectly, sir. In fact, I oversold it-- the newest game in this month’s bundle is 11 months old.

Due Process: Aug 2020
House Flipper: May 2018
Wingman: Dec 2020
Wingspan: Sept 2020
BPM: Sept 2020
Turnip Boy: Oct 2020
Simplerockets 2: Sept 2019
Timelie: May 2020
Wrath Aeon: Nov 2019
Mobius Front: Nov 2020

Well, I don’t know know about the rest but Wrath is in early access and won’t be out until “2022” at the earliest.

(Basically 90% of the content is not there yet).

Perhaps, but it went up on Steam in early access in November 2019.

Ah, sorry, I thought you were replying to me wishing that Humble put together a lineup more along the lines of the indies recently showing up on Game Pass. Agreed that the actual selection isn’t particularly impressive.

Yep. If they’re putting together “critic’s darling” bundles of indie games, well, that isn’t what I signed up for, but I can see why some people might want that. Question is how many indie aficionados haven’t purchased highly-rated games in genres they enjoy after a year when they’re all pretty cheap at release anyway.

The Humble Bundle was a lot more attractive, to me anyway, when it had 1-2 tentpole high profile titles every month and a bunch of forgettable crap. Now it’s all forgettable crap.

Still no skin off my nose, I just pause every month. And when Humble tries to screw me over claiming I didn’t pause, I open a ticket and get my money back.

Of course Humble Choice is not going to get the brand new games Gamepass gets, because Gamepass is a rental program where you own nothing and games can be yanked away from you at their sole discretion. If those things are interchangeable to you, then yeah, Gamepass is probably more enticing. It is not to me, so it doesn’t appeal at all.

This is why I’ve purchased Choice every month except one. There are so many indie games, and I usually wait for deep discounts to buy them, that Choice is usually giving me two or three games I am interested in a month. That’s not always worth the $12 by itself, but there’s usually a couple additional games I’m at least curious about or a game I liked on Game Pass but don’t own. Plus, I usually check out the smaller non-steam game they include.

This always seemed to me to be the point of Monthly/Choice. The big AAA games started as rare special cases, although they did eventually become more regular for awhile. For me, their usually detrimental to the value of the bundle, because I likely won’t play them.

Another month of games that look like the product of an Indie Game Jam. I mean, that’s not disparaging them, some of my favorite games of the past decade have been indie titles, but it definitely seems like Humble Choice is now catering to a very specific subset of gamers…and I’m not in it.

Like @stusser , I long for the Choice bundles of old that contained at least a year-old recognizable title, maybe an RPG once in awhile, or a big indie hit that some people might have slept on or missed (like a Stardew Valley, Book of Demons or a Void Bastards). At $8 (assuming I skipped the previous month) all it takes is TWO titles I actually find interesting to get me to bite, and yet this will be the 6th month in a row I have paused.