Humble Bundle key redemption is awesome again (mostly) but the games are kinda meh

Nothing, it’s just more Borderlands. If you enjoy that looter-shooter gameplay, BL3 is a good one.

Guess this is when I complain about it being Steam only, I have BL3 on Epic, but not director’s cut.

And looking at it, the feature I truly wanted is part of Designer’s Cut, not Director. One of these days they’re going to come out with the Snyder Cut DLC for this, aren’t they?

Eventually there’ll be a game of the decade edition or something yeah. Probably shortly before or after Tiny Tina comes out this March.

I have Borderlands 3 Ultimate edition on Stadia! (For $1)

I’ll have to check the other games in the bundle to see if it’s worth it.

Wow, you actually subscribe to the stadia pro thingie? That’s astonishing.

I do not. But for $1, I couldn’t resist getting Borderland 3 Ultimate.

Stusser is right, it’s not especially different, it’s just the best it’s been. The playable characters have interesting builds and abilities, the loot is good, the moment-to-moment shooter gunplay is great, the progression is satisfying, etc. My only complaints about the game are the story (which commits the crime of being boring, which is so much worse than simply being bad, and it’s overly long to boot) and some light GaaS nonsense (which mostly manifests in the way of time-limited events).

Normally, I would say you could just ignore the story and focus on grinding loot, but the game makes you replay that story a few times on harder difficulties, if I remember correctly. It became too much of a chore for me, which is why I ultimately put it down.

I never even got to the endgame but I enjoyed the journey, the moment to moment gameplay is excellent. No need to grind if you don’t feel the urge.

In that case this is probably a skip for me, but I’ll wait till the last minute if I find out any of the indies are decent*, and then only not skip if they give me a bribe, which they probably won’t because I bought last month’s bundle.

*and to take advantage of the 20% discount if something good comes up before the last Tuesday of February.

Part of why I didn’t mind playing through Borderlands 2 so many times was that most of the dialogue took place over your radio, with very little actually happening “in-world”. It kept the game moving at a good clip, and you could always be moving along to the next thing. Borderlands 3 has tons of dialogue and character interactions that you need to sit and watch because you’re waiting on those characters to do something for you like open a door or reach a destination or whatever.

It grinds the whole game to a halt, and it happens all the time.

I’m very interested in Per Aspera but there’s really nothing else here for me. In particular, I already have and don’t particularly like Borderlands 3.

Hard to justify buying the bundle for just Per Aspera, though even on sale it’s still $15 on Steam so I’m conflicted.

Borderlands 3 plays like you remember Borderlands 2 played.

That means it plays as a pretty great modern FPS, great shooting, you can slide, you can vault up some walls, the guns are “better”.

BL2 is a better game, the base BL3 you finish in spite of the story, not because of it, but the DLC is pretty good, at least the ones I’ve played, all good in their own way, I think the one I prefer is the Cowboy one, because of the Narrator gimmick.

An improved version of the same.

So it was a good month, as we expected, to accompany their new storefront app (at this point I’m not only collecting games, but storefronts!). BL3, Per Aspera, I heard interesting things of Black Book, I don’t know Everhood but the reviews are very positive, Before we leave looks decent.

I wonder what the “Before we leave” is referring to here. It’s a City management sim that takes place before everyone leaves the planet? So a very temporary colony?

One of my friends put Everhood in their top five games for 2021, but it was also in a Fanatical build-your-own-bundle very recently, so I already have it.

I got an email about the new Humble app, so went to install that.

By default, it wanted to put the program files themselves in my User/Appdata folder? So I tried to install it to a different spot and… the install is totally haywire, including an error with the uninstaller so…

WARNING! You might want to hold off on the new Humble App!

Update: Couldn’t uninstall it, so I just tried reinstalling. This time I selected to install it for all users instead of just my user (I’m the only one who uses my computer, so I just went with the latter as it was the default). That installed fine and in a normal default location (Program Files) and now the app works! Best case I probably just have some stray files hanging around in random places.

The app offers five games from the Humble Games Collection (if you’re a Choice subscriber, anyway):

All very worthy games, though I already own most of these (and Unsighted is currently on Game Pass), but it’s awesome to get to try Dodgeball Academia, which was on some GOTY lists!

What is the draw of installing yet another storefront app, anyway? For the Trove games?

They’re still giving out Steam keys for the regular Choice stuff, correct?

Steam/EGS/GOG depending on the game. For now. Could easily see them testing their luck on moving everything to the Humble app down the road - which we all know would be a huge mistake. But do the people who want to drive “engagement” and “customer capture” know that?

Oh nice. I always forget about the Trove games. That’s a good reason, I figure.