Humble Bundle key redemption is awesome again (mostly) but the games are kinda meh

Right, yes, now EGS and GOG keys might be a thing as well. But I sure don’t want to have to install their probably half-baked app to get my bundled games.

I’ve got ten of them already! Why stop now?

It looks like the Humble Trove is now only accessible through the app, as are those free “Humble Games Collection” games which are major Humble-published games basically added to the Trove (maybe temporarily?). Humble Choice games are still Steam keys.

Odd, I got an email saying that my annual membership to choice has reduced in price so I am going to get refunded the difference. Then when I went to select my games for this month’s bundle (wanting to play Borderlands 3 so a good deal for me), it happily announced after I picked them that they just charged my credit card.

So I am guessing annual memberships are gone and I get pro-rata refunded based on months left? I can’t find any info about this anywhere.

They are doing a ‘gamepass’. If you have an active subscription, in addition of the previous Trove, they will offer x games to be played for a period of time. This is the first batch
https://i.imgur.com/Hsayxag.png

I’m done with getting Humble Bundles for the base game of something. By the time I get around to playing them, there’s a complete edition with all the DLC that’s usually cheaper or around the same price that I end up rebuying anyways.

I got an email from Humble about some kind of partial refund for my current annual sub, but I don’t know how much. Since I’ve been pausing most of the time now, I’m going to switch my annual to monthly so I can get those oh please don’t pause discounts.

I wouldn’t be surprised if part of their move from pausing to full on skipping is to remove those coupons since you’re losing out on higher discount tiers when you skip a month now.

There was an email that went out last month with their blog post announcing, plus an FAQ:

You’ll be receiving the difference between what you paid and the new rate. There’s still an annual membership available at $130/yr.

I was wondering about that too. I’ve seen a couple of comments on reddit ​saying that people were still offered the pause discounts today.

My purchase history says my last annual plan charge was $130.75. The new annual price will be $129, and month-by-month is $11.99, so annual is a savings of $14.88.

Thanks, I eventually was able to find the info in the humble settings page about my plan. It was really confusing when I selected this month’s games and it said that it has taken payment from my elected payment method. I guess the elected payment method is my annual plan or something.

Black Book is a pleasant surprise, I’ve been eyeing that

Have they moved the button to manage your subscription that allows you to pause a month? I can’t see it anywhere on the Choice page. Would expect it to be near to the Membership Rewards (to empasise what you are losing).

Gift Choice, Refer a Friend, but no option to cancel. Maybe I’m blind.

[Edit]
You need to go into Your Account at the top right and select “Settings”. From there you can select “Manage Your Plan” and skip.
[/Edit]

It now makes sense to switch from Monthly Classic to Monthly Premium for me to avoid US exchange rates and just get charged €9.99. As well, there’s no benefit to skipping a month against just cancelling if you buy less months than you skip.

So Humble’s “refund” for my annual sub was in the form of wallet credit that expires this July instead of money back to my credit card. Thanks.

Store credit that expires ought to be a capital crime.

moray

But for eel real.

They returned me 0.45€ lol

I didn’t even know “store credit that expires” was a thing. Maybe it isn’t in some states. I know in Oregon gift card balances don’t expire, short of a corporation getting dissolved or something.

It’s not a thing in the US. There was a law past a few years ago that bans it. Maybe during the Obama years?

Reminder that with February being a short month, the auto-charge for those who have not paused will be Tuesday the 22nd (in 6 days).

I started the Pause dance, then decided $8 (they offered me $4 off) was worth it for Borderlands 3 DC. I think Black Book, Per Aspera, Before We Leave and Paradise Lost all look moderately interesting as well, but they were not games I would have purchased the bundle for on their own. After several months of pausing on collections of moderately interesting indie games, it took a bigger ticket title to lure me back. Hopefully I’m not alone and Humble gets the message. It doesn’t have to be a AAA title, just something with a bit of broad appeal to anchor all the niche indie stuff.

The pixel art action platformer Flynn: Son of Crimson has been added to the Humble App, free with a Choice subscription.

Thanks @SlainteMhath for the pause reminder, and thanks @Wo1verine ^ for mentioning where it was hiding.

Question-- were you paused for January? I ask because I wasn’t and due to that I don’t think it’s likely I would get the $4 off.

All that said, I think I’m kind of over Borderlands*, and everything I’ve read about the game’s main campaign makes me even less interested. Not even the indies look like something I’m ever going to make time for. I already took advantage of the 20% discount for Valheim and the upcoming Distant Worlds 2. I just looked to see if the same discount stacked with their current sale price on Cyberpunk 2077 and it doesn’t look like it. :-( So I’ll probably pause and see what’s revealed March 1st.

*and if I feel like I need a fix I can go finish BL 1 and 2 Remastered, and the Pre-Sequel.

Yes, I’ve been paused for like 7 months now. Also yes, my understanding is that the $4 off is offered only to those who were paused the previous month as an incentive not to make it two months in a row.