Humble Bundle key redemption is awesome again (mostly) but the games are kinda meh

Your long lost uncle who is a Totally Legitimate Businessman wants to invest and won’t take No for an answer… On a related note, you can eventually earn extra cash to pay him back by picking the locks of cars in the parking lot and helping yourself to what’s inside.

My experience mirrors yours, and I’m also grandfathered (although both of my actual late grandfathers, one of whom died young in 1946, the other in 1968, would consider video games magic).

Reminder that many of us should already have A Plague Tale as a free game from Epic.

Funny, if I bought the previous month I’ve never gotten anything off for pause dancing - I do get the $4 if I’ve missed a month though.

Which, reading down a little further, is to say that my experience matches stusser’s as well.

Damn Ascent looks so gorgeous on Steam Deck, makes me wanna replay it

I can see that. It’s an extremely nice looking game, and great world design too. Needs to be played with a gamepad.

I’m not sure what’s going on, maybe it’s random? I know that, in the past, if I paused the month after I just purchased, I would often get a little “what if we knock $2 off?” prompt, but maybe not always? But then I just paused yesterday after buying last month’s Choice, and it basically said “OK, pause then, see if I care.” and offered me nothing. I am grandfathered as well.

¯_(ツ)_/¯

try cancelling instead of pausing

Ahh, maybe that’s it. The grandfathering isn’t worth anything these days, right? So you can actually cancel whenever you want with no commitment.

20% off on Humble purchases with a 12 month+ tenure (or grandfathered) vs 10% if you’re a fresh subscriber for the month is the big difference.

You probably won’t get that far to get offered the discount, i.e. you won’t actually have to cancel your grandfathered plan.

You know it’s probably time to cancel when you have 5 months of bundles that you can’t be bothered to activate because it is too much work.

Truth. I’m looking at my Humble unredeemed key backlog and thinking, “Why do I keep pausing? What am I even doing here?”

I use it as check against my impulse to spend way too much on games. Sure, I COULD buy that game, but it might be in Humble Monthly some time and I don’t want to have a duplicate. $12/mo guaranteed spending vs something much higher is a good trade for me.

I still break that rule occasionally and buy another game (see e.g. my comments on Gas Station Simulator above) but it’s now a couple of times a year, not a couple times a month.

And you may ask yourself, “Why do I keep pausing?”
And you may tell yourself, “This is not my beautiful backlog!”

Passing this month. The only game I really want is The Ascent, but not enough for the cost of the bundle. Hot Wheels looked mildly interesting, but I read many negative comments on reddit about most of its content being locked behind DLC.

Humble sent out emails this time. Thanks for the reminder.

Just a friendly “heads up!” that your August Choice membership auto-bill date is coming up on Tuesday, August 30. You’ll automatically get all of this month’s games on that day—but don’t forget you can claim your games early or skip this month before then!

There’s also a manager bundle with Parkitect (top tier)

There’s a VR bundle going now. Of course, like with all VR games, I’ve never heard of any of them. I wonder if that’s a problem in the VR space, or it’s just a symptom of the fact that I don’t have a VR set? I’m guessing it’s the latter. Probably if I had VR, I would seek out VR news, or have it advertised to me somehow, and I would be more aware of titles in that space. Like, for example, I’m guessing if I had VR and I played VR, I’d have access to some kind of marketplace that would advertise new and upcoming titles to me.

Crusader Kings III, Just Cause 4, The Dungeon Of Naheulbeuk: The Amulet Of Chaos, Forgive Me Father

Nice, I’m probably in for $8 for Naheulbeuk (gesundheit).

As a heads-up, Just Cause 4 was an Epic Games Store freebie at one time.