Humble Bundle key redemption is awesome again (mostly) but the games are kinda meh

I don’t own Doom Eternal but that’s because I got tired of the previous Doom reboot well before the end and none of what they changed for Eternal was for the better from my perspective. (I would even have welcomed more lore, if it had been good but it isn’t.)

I got Doom Eternal on Steam Day One because of how much I loved Doom 2016. But yeah, sadly, I found it too exhausting to play. But I just rebought the whole thing again with the Year One DLC on Xbox, so I assume I’ll go back to it at some point.

Someone linked to last year’s Quarterlies, so I was reminded this morning: Oh yeah, Qt3 really loved Wildermyth last year. And I was waiting for that to show up on Humble Bundle, and I guess I’m still waiting. Looks like it’s only 25% off in the current winter sale.

I have plenty else to play, so I’ll be patient.

I mean, I don’t find it boring as in glacially paced, I just find it boring because…I wasn’t having fun with it. So many tutorial nonsense messages and rigid design and…whatever

I can however recommend Prodeus, which I finished and enjoyed throughout.

It’s live:

I would have been all in on this bundle if it had been December’s, as I actually do not own Doom Eternal and Encased was on my wishlist. But Epic literally just gave Encased away for free during their holiday sale, and I don’t have enough interest in Tribes of Midgard, OlliOlli or Grow to make it worth the $12. Looks like I’m out, which means if February is good I can get $4 off for skipping this month.

That said, Encased is supposed to be very good, so if you missed the Epic giveaway, and you have even a passing interest in any of the other titles, nabbing everything for $8-$12 is a good deal.

Ooooh, Encased! Now I won’t feel as bad about missing the free giveaway on Epic Game Store that one day.

I already have Doom Eternal. I guess Olli Olli World is the other one I’m mildly curious about.

I’m looking at the Steam page now for “Grow: Song of the Evertree”, and I’m very confused as to what this game is.

Hahah Encased again! Sure am glad I refunded on Steam!

This would be a great month if I didn’t own Doom and somehow escaped being encased, but the rest of the games don’t erect my nipples so another pass.

I went into this one thinking “skip” but I’m kind of intrigued by a number of the non-headliner games, like Olli Olli, Grow, and Serpent Rogue. I’m not sure I’d realistically ever get around to Encased but as a non-EGS-user that would be new to me as well. Hmm, I’ll have to give this some thought.

I haven’t played a Doom game since Doom 2 and find it hard to envision playing a linear first person shooter in 2023, but is Eternal at least a good one?

Nevermind, definitely don’t need that. Still, the indies might make the whole thing worthwhile despite the headliners.

Eternal is the best one for pure action. And I don’t only mean doom games, I mean games in general. Nothing will get your heart pounding like it.

It isn’t a relaxing chill time, needless to say.

Hey, it’s Grow! That’s the follow up to Yonder: The Cloud Catcher Chronicles. That was a big open-world adventure and farming(-ish) game with no combat, and I assume Grow is similar. Really excited to see this in the bundle.

Thank you, I thought that art style looked familiar. Yeah, I may actually get this and just give away Doom and Tribes. Hilarious.

Skipping because of how Doom’s team treated Mick Gordon. Ain’t giving them a dollar.

Grow & Serpent Rogue look interesting. Reviews on some of the bottom 4 aren’t so great.

They got a nice ‘big game’ but apart from it, it sure is a weak month. No interest in ANY of the others (except maybe Encased which surprise! i have it).

Yeah, “most definitely [not] my bag” this month, to paraphrase Austin Powers. I have Doom 2016 and haven’t even gotten that far into it on normal difficulty so if I’m in a DOOM mood I’ll play that. And the only other one that looks remotely like my bag is of course the one I already have thanks to Epic’s freebie.

Looks like I may have to fake pause for this month.

Some supposedly overlooked games from last year are in a new Humble Bundle:

I’ve heard very good things about Haiku the Robot. And I assume the Supraland sequel is as smart as the original.

Wow, I’ll probably get that. $15 for Haiku The Robot, Supraland 6 inches Under and Powerslave Exhumed seems like a good deal. I’d been curious to checkout the Powerslave remaster since Digital Foundry looked at it. Not to play it for long, but just to check it out briefly.

The question is if additional money is warranted for the other games. I guess I’ll have to do some research on Submerged (which is on my wishlist on Epic Game Store, so I must have liked something about it), Zero Sievert and Prehistoric Kingdom.

Yeah that seems a good bundle. Bought.

Wait wait wait. Which bundle did you buy? 4 items, 6 items or 7 items?