Humble Bundle key redemption is awesome again (mostly) but the games are kinda meh

Rivals of Aether is kind of an indie Super Smash Bros. It’s very cool to watch so I’m looking forward to trying it out.

Also… I didn’t buy anything during the last Steam Sale because I just knew that something I would’ve bought would be in this bundle and sure enough, there’s Nex Machina and Rivals of Aether ticked off my wishlist. Now they’re also giving me Dawn of War III next month? Totally one of the best values in gaming at $12 a month. You just have to be patient.

I would’ve been happy with this month. H1Z1 was way too easy to skip. :(

The BlazBlue game is a pretty fun fighter. It’s also a 30 hour visual novel. CP is the third in the series. Calamity Trigger & Continuum Shift (2) go for around 5$ total in Steam sales.

New Trove games: Galactic Civilizations 2, Fallen Enchantress

Quantum Break and Dawn of War III look interesting, I guess, but I thought the latter was not all that well received, right? The Long Dark sounds cool if survival games are your jam (they definitely aren’t mine).

There’s nothing in today’s revealed games (that interest me) that I can’t wait to pick up independently for a few bucks each. I’m swimming in too big a backlog pool as it is.

I should really have remembered to pause this month. Definitely didn’t want H1Z1, already own Blazblue and Sexy Brutale, and while I guess I have some vague curiosity about Nex Machina, Strafe and Passpartout, I wouldn’t have paid $12 for a bundle of them. Next month looks a bit better. I already own The Long Dark and Quantum Break, but I can probably do $12 for Dawn of War III.

FYI, @Papageno, neither Quantum Break nor DOW III have had particularly good critical or word of mouth reception. I just personally have liked the studios involved enough to want to check out their new things.

I’m kind of irritated about The Long Dark being included. I backed that project, which funded over 4 years ago, 100% on the strength of the promise of a story-oriented survival sim. I have less than zero interest in the giant wasteland that is the sandbox survival sim genre, and never would have backed a game that focused on being one of those. Here we are, almost in 2018, and they’ve spent the last four years building a sandbox survival sim, finally deigning to release a projected 40% of the story mode that was the original pitch just a few months ago, no particular ETA on the rest. And now, before I actually get the game I paid for (and one that is apparently not great, based on reviews I’ve seen of the two episodes released so far), it’s not just the headliner on a monthly bundle but one of three headliners. I’m used to people getting a better deal on Kickstarted games than I did, so if the game I paid for was actually fucking done I’d just shrug. But as it is, irritated.

I was too lazy to cancel this month hoping a good game would come through. Not a fighting game fan but I guess I’ll check out Nex Machina and Strafe. Was going to cancel next month but my friend really enjoyed Quantum Break so I might just stay for another month.

Edit: Actually looking at a video of Nex Machina this looks like it could be a blast at least.

Edit2: After looking at videos Nex Machina seems to be the only game worth even adding to my steam library.

If anyone wants the keys for any of this month’s games (except nex machine) send me a pm.

That’s a shame because my PC hates it. It either crashes or makes the video card problematic.

Lol. Then I would never see more than the first 10 minutes of the game…

My Robotron-self tells you that you are wrong! Keep throwing yourself against the wall until you hit the ZONE!

(I should try Nex Machina tonight…)

Edit 1: OK, played an hour. It’s fantastic! I agree with @krayzkrok’s Steam review 100%. I’ve found my new go-to twin-stick shooter, after many years of Waves. (Hmmm, I should pick up Waves2.)

Shame on me. I never looked at what Sexy Brutale was because the name implied something I’d have no interest in. It actually looks like a great game.

You’re not the only one. Someone I didn’t expect who would like “those games” mentioned it not too long ago and I went “Wait… what?” in my head and then took the time to look past the title. So I share in your shame (and joy at getting it in the bundle, lol).

Ok, you guys made me curious. I looked at the trailer on the Steam page, and boy, that is definitely not what I expected. It’s not something I’m interested in, but definitely unexpected.

It’s a bit of a weird item, obviously inspired by the mechanics of Ghost Trick and the sadism of Dangaronpa. It is a pleasant game, but the gameplay isn’t as inspired as Ghost Trick, and I am hoping the ending won’t be as rancid as Dangaronpa’s.

Remainder of the January bundle is out tomorrow, along with next months early reveals.

Something you bought during the winter sale will probably be shown. :p

It was okay.
Tomb Raider, Sleeping Dogs: Definitive Edition, but I don’t recognize the other three.

Hiveswap, Mr. Shifty and Cursed Castilla/

Hiveswap is the Homestuck adventure game, and is apparently very good. Maldita Castilla EX is an expanded version of a hit freeware Ghosts n’ Goblins-inspired sidescroller. Cool stuff all around!

Time to eat virtual definitive Pork Buns…

Yeah. Those aren’t games I would usually buy for myself, but they seem to have great reviews. Well, if you are going to play games from genres you aren’t familiar with, you might as well play the best games from Genre’s you aren’t familiar with.

The extra games were kind of a bust for me personally because I already had the two AAA ones revealed, and the indies are not calling my name. I can vouch for the excellence of Sleeping Dogs—loved it to death and played it all the way through within a year of release, although for some reason the last time I played it, more recently, I had some motion-sickness issues (no easy FOV slider, alas–that shit should be mandatory).

As far as next month, I’ll probably pause. I just can’t seem to get into the Civilization franchise. I just hear people go on and on about it, but every time I’ve tried I’ve just bounced off hard.

Kind of bummed about the AAA reveals since one of the original promises was no games that have been previously bundled. I’ve been meaning to pick up Maldita Castilla though so I guess that ends up as a wash.