Humble Bundle key redemption is awesome again (mostly) but the games are kinda meh

The 10% store discount will be disabled as soon as you cancel/pause.

You can pause a month, just do that. ;)

@Stepsongrapes , what you do is hit the cancel button, then they’ll offer you the option of pausing a month instead. As @lordkosc mentions, you can kind of game the system by waiting till they’re about to charge you to pause. They typically charge the last Friday of the month, then reveal the non-headliner games a week later. If you wait till shortly before that to pause, you can take advantage of that discount in the meantime, which stacks with any sale price.

And @DaveLong , I’m not really complaining myself. Both those big games are great parts of the bundle if you didn’t already own them. I just hoped for different indies.

In for Feb., Civ VI with two expansions for $12 is so good!

Thanks for the answers, Lordkosc and Papageno. Does pausing preserve the discount during the pause period? If not, wouldn’t it be better to just cancel and then resign up at a future date to not risk forgetting about next month and then getting charged when the pause expires?

Basically, I’m tempted to treat this as as discrete bundle rather than than a subscription service.

No kidding. If I get 2 indies out of a bundle I’m happy. I give the dupes to friends or post in the Giveaway thread here. I like giving stuff away though, so…

No, pausing immediately stops the 10% discount on Store titles. But really it’s not that big a deal to set yourself a reminder to pause the Monday of the week in which the last Friday of the month occurs, especially nowadays with smartphones and such.

Monthly PSA: If you were planning to pause Humble Monthly this month, better do it before Friday if you haven’t yet.
For me, this month’s headliner Civ VI stuff isn’t a draw.

Thanks for the reminder! Paused here too, as I’m tired of the Civ franchise.

Huh.

Interesting, I wonder if the Civ6 bundle was not selling as well.

The rest of the bundle will probably be shit now. :p

Uh oh. Owlboy is a title that, while over a year old, is an indie darling and thus likely to have been the next biggest “get” in the bundle. I may have to rethink my decision not to pause this month…I still have 24 hours or so.

EDIT : PAUSED. I just do not have a good feeling about this month.

Seems like the obvious conclusion with them adding a game this close to the deadline. Which I am totally ok with this month because I’ve been eyeing Owlboy… but it doesn’t make me confident in the Monthly’s long-term health.

The Civ games are ones that I’ve always aspired to play but the time commitment seems too great so I’ve never actually gotten beyond the tutorials.* Also, they’re a weird choice to headline a bundle like this because you’d think that anyone who’s into Civ would have them already.

*I suspect 4X games may not be for me…

4x is forever a genre of games I really want to get into but the complexity and time commitments required always turn me off.

I love to play Civ, but I think I would rather wait for the GoTY edition. Not sure though.

Just mentioning that Owlboy’s lowest price is $14.99 thus far.

I like 4X games and have played nearly all the Civs, and I didn’t have 6 yet. Early buzz was not great and I figured I would wait until the first expansion. Which is, I think, coming out next month. So that’s probably why it got featured. It got me to leave my subscription unpaused.

It was already bundled (at humble) in the top tier a few months ago.

Lots of repeats lately.

I saw a comment that civ is region locked, so that might be why there’s the late owlboy addition

Maybe it’s a marketing strategy planned for the start. Unveil only one game first, and the second game after a while, that way they ‘appear in the news’ twice a month, instead of just once.