Humble Bundle key redemption is awesome again (mostly) but the games are kinda meh

Yeah, probably the least impressive month for me as well. All I really wanted was Sleeping Dogs. The rest…meh…

Bought in early on Civ VI though, because I’ve been wanting to try it.

I’m pleased. I bought in for the original reveal trio, mostly Dawn of War III and Quantum Break, but I don’t own Tomb Raider or Sleeping Dogs, and they’re both games I’ve considered buying during sales or bundles in the past, so win-win.

Next month’s headliner reveal is Civilization VI with Vikings and Australia DLCs. Not super interested as I have yet to really complete Civ IV and have never even played Civ V, but then with Civ VI as a headliner, the rest of the bundle will probably contain at least one additional very attractive title. Hmmm…

Wait, they already bundled Sleeping Dogs or Tomb Raider 2013?

EDIT: went and checked, and I’m not seeing them–am I blind? I’m not feeling well today so that’s a distinct possibility.

I don’t think Sleeping Dogs Definitive has technically been bundled but they were both in the Square Enix Bundle 2 in 2015.

Oh, I thought the promise was that they wouldn’t repeat games in the monthly bundles.

Usually HB on the keys page tells me if I’ve already got the game, but for Tomb Raider this time it’s not telling me I already have it when I do. Did they change something at some point (like with SD: Definitive) or is it just bugged? I don’t want to redeem the key and get literally nothing…

I’ve read elsewhere that this is the Tomb Raider Standard version, not the GOTY version that was bundled previously?

Ok, so I’ll just give it away then. Thanks

Again, is this GOTY version you’re referring to something that was bundled in a different (non Monthly) Humble Bundle? Is there a way to check the history of those? Because the only TR game that’s been included in the Monthly before is the more recent Rise of the Tomb Raider.

Both have been bundled before. The GotY version was part of the Square Enix 3 bundle (Jan '16), and the standard edition was bundled in Square Enix 2 (Mar '15) along with the non-definitive version of Sleeping Dogs.

Also, I seem to remember hearing that the no-previously-bundled-games rule only applied to the first month of the Humble Monthly plan. While they’ve done a good job of sticking to that rule anyway, this is obviously not one of those times.

https://isthereanydeal.com/specials/#/filter:search/tombraider

I didn’t own a single game from this Monthly on the PC. I have Tomb Raider somewhere else I think, but that’s ok! I have really wanted to play Cursed Castilla so I’m very happy that’s in there. This is a superb bundle when you look at AAA value. These are not “cheap” or “Indie” games for the most part.

Mr. Shifty also looked cool when I saw it released for the Switch so I’ll certainly give that a try eventually.

I’m not sure why people would get upset about games in other paid bundles appearing in the Monthly. They’re two separate things IMO. If you’re buying other bundles, that’s the chance you take that you might get a dupe.

Yeah, I’ve been interested in both Cursed Castilla and Mr. Shifty, so this is a solid month for me. And I’m at least curious to check out Civ VI, even if my expectations aren’t all that high given its reception here.

That’s always been my assumption; they wouldn’t do repeats of games from the monthly bundles. Never being bundled at all seems extra nice, but I honestly never thought of that as being the promise.

That too… Civ VI with two expansions for $12? That’s easily as good as last year’s February which was when they snagged me. That was XCOM 2 in case people forgot.

Humble use to explicitly state in the description for the Humble Monthly Bundle that the games in the monthly bundles would not have appeared in any previous bundles (from Humble.)

That doesn’t seem to be anything they’re currently claiming, and I don’t know when they stopped mentioned that, but it has only been these last few bundles where they’ve presented previously offered games in the monthly bundle, so it’s bound to get some notice and, I assume, cause folks to reconsider the value of the monthly bundles.

If you have been a regular Humble bundle customer, it dramatically decreases the potential value of a random blind bundle to include previously bundled games. And besides, if they’ve already been bundled, their real world value is typically pretty low.

Eh alright bundle all in all for January, I just owned too many of the games.

Four AAA productions and five solid indies for $12 and people are complaining. I don’t get it.

Well, you know… people being people. I’m perfectly happy!

Is there any downside to cancelling my monthly subscription and then re-signing up if a future monthly interests me? This January monthly is my first and I’m super happy with it, but not interested in what they’ve announced for February.

What’s the benefit of keeping it ongoing, if any?