Humble Bundle key redemption is awesome again (mostly) but the games are kinda meh

I’ve said it before, but I’ll say it again; the Humble Monthly is a fantastic thing for me. I spend waaaay less on games elsewhere when I know there are mystery games coming each month, the price is more than reasonable, and they’re easy as can be to gift to people (most notably, my son).

Yeah, I’m a believer now. I’ve noticed at least one (and usually more) game in each of the recent bundles that I would like to have. I feel like this month gave me enough goodwill toward the bundles that even if the next one has nothing I want / don’t already own I wouldn’t complain or feel cheated. Plus, as you said, I can always gift what I have already. $12 a month is a low-risk investment considering the potential savings.

I picked the 1 year sub plus $20 humble cash deal a few months ago, I have had no regrets.

Dark Souls 3 is an absolutely stellar game. I’m still playing Dark Souls 2 SOTFS from the bundle earlier in the year. I bought Dark Souls 3 during a steam sale based on how good DS2 was. DLC I don’t own, so win.

Trust in Humble Bundle.

Here’s the monthly PSA about pausing-a-month on the Humble Monthly before this Friday if you’re so inclined.

Overgrowth added to the March bundle.

Lol, that’ll really get people subscribing.

Shit, I have already that one. And it doesn’t seem to be very good.

How was the game?

I don’t know how fair of an expectation this is, I mean they have had so many games released in bundles over the last 3 years, usually running multiple game bundles simultaneously.

I agree. Then again, I’d only bought a handful of bundles from them before the monthly thing started. For a little while, I think some people have viewed including non-monthly bundled games in the monthly as some type of betrayal of their original statement. I’ve viewed it as a practical limitation. If they have any intent to curate the games being offered and assuming they don’t have unlimited access to cheap keys from an unlimited number games, occasional inclusions from non-monthly bundles is a necessity to keep the value of the program high.

I personally suspect if anything they’d cannibalize their non-monthly bundle sales vs. the monthly ones.

I am now so glad that even with my backlog I have been buying monthlies (though not consistently).

I have pretty much stopped looking at games due to my backlog. Right now I"m in Linux and saw that Shadow Tactics (a game I got in a monthly a few months back) supports Linux, so I downloaded it and started playing. It’s great and I"m pretty sure I would have never discovered it on my own.

That’s almost certainly true; the Monthly is clearly their new business plan. They’ve been pretty aggressive about promoting it in any way they can: X% off your first Monthly subscriptions coupons in normal bundles, store discounts to subscribers, and now $8 store credit for referring a friend.

It’s obvious why the monthly would be more appealing both to them and the devs: the devs get a higher ASP, Humble don’t have to eat the CC charges on tiny $1 transactions, and Humble don’t get screwed by people messing with the payment breakdown sliders.

Not sure their plan is really working though. I think they’ve been pretty stagnant at 150k subscribers since early summer. Having to work that hard just to tread water can’t be great. (Though they got a bump to 200k from Civ 6, so that’ll be nice if those people stick around).

Crap. I let my sub ride this month despite having zero interest in Dark Souls III because I figured there would be something else good in the reveals that would offset the DS headliner choice.

Overgrowth was not what I had in mind. =(

Well, there’s still hope that they might include something good on Friday, right?

Possibly, though last month Civ VI was the headliner and Owlboy the week-before reveal, and they turned out to be the biggest titles in the bundle.

Only in the sense that everyone here seemed way more excited about Owlboy than the others.

Black The Fall was pretty good as well. Basically, Inside with a Soviet twist, a robot dog, and without a bananas ending.

Less than 1 hour , what secret game fodder can we expect?!?!?

Weird outside prediction? Tooth and Tail.