Humble Bundle key redemption is awesome again (mostly) but the games are kinda meh

So Humble just announced 3 more early unlocks for the May Monthly:

• Moon Hunters
  • Jalopy
  • Crazy Machines 3

I’m still pausing for May though, even with added games, I already own >50% of them. The only one interesting for me is the dead rising 4, but the PC review does not look good.

Isn’t that like the whole bundle? What’s left to reveal?

Monthly bundles usually have 8 to 10 games, so a few are still hidden. ;)

That’s a weird play. Why would they reveal more?

They’ve been doing that more of late, and I’m not sure why aside from just drumming up more noise about the subscription.

Yeah, it actually makes me less likely to subscribe. I was on the fence this month because Ruiner looks neat, and I was thinking about rolling the dice on there being one or two more that I would want in the reveals. But none of the new reveals look all that impressive, so that went out the window.

This whole going in and out every month based on the reveals is getting annoying, as I wind up regretting my choice at least half the time. If they ever bring back the $20 off the full year deal, I might just do that so I don’t have to think about it.

I’m in the same boat – and thought I might’ve been a weird outlier so glad to know it isn’t just me – making the monthly more of a known quantity makes me more likely to pause/completely cancel.

Yeah this mimics my thoughts as well.

You guys are weird. It’s $12. That’s one meal out a month or less. Unless you don’t want any new games to play (and it seems like some of you don’t…) then stick with it. You can even sell the keys if you don’t want them to make back the $12.

Not by the terms and conditions.

In practice I doubt they’ll notice, but that’s between you and your conscience.

Gotta say while revealing the new games is weird, I’m fine with it, as I own none of them. Gimme gimme.

Another forum I frequent sees a lot of key selling. That said, they seem to always charge about $2-$3 per key so I doubt that would rankle anyone.

The whole idea of the subscription box model they’re copying is that it’s always a big surprise what you actually get, with the mutual understanding that you will get something that’s worth more than what you paid. It’s real-world loot boxes, and that gambling aspect is integral to the longevity of the program.

But knowing everything (or nearly everything) up front makes it… less exciting, I guess. It’s basically just one of their normal Humble Bundles, except it doesn’t have a theme, it’s rotated monthly, and it’s locked at the twelve-dollar price point. Even if I’m getting more than twelve dollars in value, if it’s not stuff I want, I won’t opt to pay the twelve dollars. At that point, I’m not getting a surprise selection of games – I’m just making an informed purchasing decision. That’s good for the customer, but they’re just going to bleed subscribers as more people look at (almost) the entire offering and say, “Eh, doesn’t look like anything I want.”

At $12 per month I have yet to see a Humble Monthly that wasn’t a fantastic deal in terms of value. However, if you’re like me, a gamer with limited time and a narrower taste in games (there are several genres I simply have no interest in, like Tower Defense), then the reveals become a barometer for your active/pause state. I’ve paused the previous two months, and will likely pause again this month now that the new reveals are nothing that interests me. I love the Humble Monthly, as when a reveal is something I want it’s nearly always worth the $12 (to me) all on it’s own, and only once (Banner Saga 2) was there not any additional games I was excited about in the revealed lineup of a bundle I purchased.

Bottom line, I still really like the concept, and the ability to pause makes it a great way to add wishlist games to my library without needing to also add a bunch of junk I’ll never play.

Woo, Jalopy!

My take on it… well, except the meal out part; I’m not a cheap date.

It’s not the price as much as $12 for a chance at a few games I’d like to play. With 6 games being revealed, one of which is a maybe try for me (ruiner) and the others are meh there’s only 2 games left in a usual sized for a chance at having at least one game I’ll play in the next 6 months.

So since the chance of me getting a game i"ll be really excited about has been dropped significantly, and the monthlies have already given me a huge amount of games in my backlog that I know I want to play it doesn’t seem worth it to spend the money. Either one game gets released that would have interested me and it’s no big deal cause I have a big backlog, or no games get released that I care about and I didn’t waste $12.

I am finding Moon Hunters surprisingly entertaining. If you try it out, I recommend the ranged character first.

I’m with you. My finger is hovering over the Pause-a-month button, especially since I learned that my nephew already has KSP. I dunno. I guess I’m sorta interested in Jalopy as well as Ruiner.

Gotta make a decision today, because tomorrow it charges.

Damn, I forgot to pause yesterday and now I own the May bundle. I mean, Kerbal Space is awesome, but I can’t imagine having the time and patience needed to play it anytime soon. Ruiner looks really cool, but I suck at twin stick shooters. Dead Rising 4 goes into a long list of FPS zombie games I own but have yet to play, and none of the indie reveals interests me at all.

Fingers crossed for one final game reveal next Friday that brings a pleasant surprise.