Humble Bundle key redemption is awesome again (mostly) but the games are kinda meh

I agree it reads like that. (“A curated bundle of games sent to your inbox every month. Redeem on Blizzard Battle.net and keep them forever.”)

But battle.net-only sounds insane. The service contains a total of 7 games. Three are totally impossible:

• World of Warcraft (requires monthly subscription, so would be inappropriate for a bundle)
  • Destiny 2 (was already in a Humble Monthly)
  • COD: BLOPS 4 (not yet released)

That leaves just four games, which don’t really make for a sensible bundle:

• Overwatch (already in)
  • Diablo 3
  • Starcraft 2
  • Starcraft remastered

I think it’s just sloppy wording.

Getting a second key for Overwatch is pretty great next month for me. We’ve been sharing the Blizzard account here so it’ll allow two to play together now for $12. That’s cool.

I was figuring something like

• Overwatch
  • Heroes of the Storm champion/cosmetic bundle
  • Starcraft II
  • Starcraft II expansion
  • Diablo III
  • Diablo III expansion

but agree that it’s a stretch. Hopefully they clarify.

Also, per Reddit Overwatch is not a key and requires linking your Battle.net account (but can still be gifted).

edit: They clarified.

If they included SC2 (all of it) and Diablo III (all of it) for sure in the next bundle I’d stick with it but Overwatch doesn’t interest me… I just don’t have those reflexes anymore.

Ugh. Looks like I’m pausing again. The Monthly just hasn’t appealed to me in a long time. It’s a subjective thing, totally based on my personal gaming preferences and enormous current library. It’s disappointing, but on the other hand I bought in practically every month for the first year or more, so I’ve scored a ton of good deals.

Curious to check out both Darksiders II and Overwatch, so I’m pretty content with the announcement today. Though I’m almost tempted to pause just to punish them for sending this email:

05%20AM

The monthies have been averaging about two good games for me per month. This month, both Staxel and Figment were on my wishlist, and 2-3 others look interesting. As much as I don’t care for the model, I’ve only felt burned maybe one month over the last year or so. And with the regular bundles being fairly blah, if not downright offputting, it’s been an acceptable risk.

This was the first Humble Monthly I’ve ever bought into (for Berseria and Sniper Elite, mostly), and it was satisfying to not get duplicates. Even got that Darksiders 2 edition I had been holding out on.

Then Overwatch comes along and butchers my newfound enthusiasm. Neato.

BTW, for those looking to give IGN more money, the Season Pass for Sniper Elite 4 is on sale for under 11 bucks. No doubt part of their cunning plan.

At first I was disappointed in the monthly but then I saw some people say some good things about a couple of the games. So I looked them up on steam and Little Nightmares and figment actually look interesting and once I realized Zombie Night Horror was a lemmings style game (instead of a typical zombie game) I became interested in that as well. So that ended up pretty well.

I was going to cancel because I already have Overwatch but when I went to cancel they offered me the next month for only $9, which was low enough to say why not.

Woah. Thanks for saying this. I totally wrote it off without looking at it because of the word “zombie.”

Agreed, I wouldn’t have thought to look closer.

Yep, extremely toxic. I haven’t played in over a year, but it seems there could be a few nice players, going by the article.

Also I am sure this was posted awhile back, the game has players who actively try to play as badly as possible to never rank up. Because reasons I guess.

I think that’s in the competitive mode. In the public/casual (read: normal) mode, people don’t bother to talk in the first place. So zero toxicity.

Plus I played it in some free preview weekends, the game either makes no sense, or is incredible dark and depressing.

When you first start it up, there’s this huge elaborate CG movie about how aliens are attacking the earth, so this super smart genetically enhanced gorilla scientist assembles the Overwatch team to combat the aliens. So then you get into the game, you and some other members of Overwatch are behind a barrier as a countdown goes down to zero.

Cool, the barrier is about to go down. When it goes down, you get to go outside and fight some aliens, right? Nope, the barrier goes down, you go outside, and there’s another team from Overwatch doing the same thing as you, and get this: you start shooting and killing each other. That’s right, instead of fighting the alien invasion force, Overwatch is a game about how the best team to handle the alien invasion instead kills each other and keeps on doing so in perpetuity. That’s so dark. I’m guessing that one day they will declare that all Earth Overwatch defenders are dead, and the aliens will finally come down and take over.

I wasn’t even aware that there was that much story setup! :D

That CG movie has to be from the MMO game the characters were originally made for.

Nah, they’ve done a bunch of comics and stuff, too. They seem to be trying to emulate what Valve’s done with storytelling around the ludicrousness of TF2, without having anyone nearly as good at writing it.

So long as you aren’t playing competitive, Overwatch is quite fun for what it is (a newer TF2). No toxicity, just play the random game modes and get loot boxes for cosmetics after racking up enough wins per week.

Oh BTW on the Game Deals subreddit I read that despite the weird wording about Battle.net, none of the other games will be Battle.net ones.

We know.