Hundreds Protest As Bush Visits MLK Tomb

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&cid=533&e=5&u=/ap/20040115/ap_on_go_pr_wh/bush

Looking for election-year support from black voters in the South, President Bush (news - web sites) was greeted at Martin Luther King’s grave here Thursday by noisy demonstrators who chanted “Go home, Bush!” after receiving a warmer reception at a shabby church in New Orleans.

As Bush placed a wreath on King’s crypt, a low chorus of boos could be heard from across the street where 700 protesters beat drums and waved signs bearing slogans such as “War is not the answer” and “It’s not a photo-op, George.

As many of you know, Dubya was active in the civil rights movement… :lol:

For whatever it’s worth, it’s presidential tradition to visit the tomb on MLK’s birthday.

Seems dumb to me to protest an act of respect to MLK.

Lemme explain it to you. They are protesting that hypocrite, Dubya, from acting like he gives a damn when all he wants is blacks to vote for him. Hope that helps.

If he makes a planned appearance at McDonalds, expect there to be protestors. I live here in ATL, and believe me, it was as much a protest about the war as it was his audacity to make an appearance at the tomb. The civil-rights demonstrators felt that they were honoring MLK both in deed and spirit, saying if he were here today he’d be “making some noise”. I ain’t got no beef with that.

The whole “photo op” slant is a real cheap fucking shot, however, given the presidential precedent for making an appearance. No white and/or republican president will likely ever enjoy a visit without the perception of questionable motives.

I don’t know, Unca Larry, if Jimmy Carter made an appearance it would probably be perceived as a sincere tribute.

A former president is a different ballgame. I thing Bush sr. might even manage to make a visit without incident, where as President Elect Clinton(the first Black President) drew protestors at the same event. Far less, of course, but they were there. Some of them were even black.

Wasn’t he in Alabama when he was AWOL from the National Guard? I bet it’s because he was helping blacks.

Which one? Clinton and Bush both dodged 'nam.

The Bush family has been helping black people for a long time. They have employed cooks, maids, gardeners, wet nurses and foremen for many years… :wink:

Right. We get it. Bush isn’t really popular with black folks. Which kind of works against him trying to curry favor from this particular visit. Where’s the “he’s just doing it because he’s expected to” angle? I mean it certainly can’t be out of respect that he came to hang a wreath on a tomb.

I sense sarcasm.

Midnight Son- Please look up the definition of hypocrite, retard.

Who, exactly, has Bush blasted lately for making a show of respect at MLK’s tomb while secretly not caring?

cough http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=hypocrisy cough

Lemme explain it to you. They are protesting that hypocrite, Dubya, from acting like he gives a damn when all he wants is blacks to vote for him. Hope that helps.[/quote]

No, it’s still dumb. It doesn’t matter whether you think he’s a hypocrite or not; protesting an act of respect is lame.

Lemme explain it to you. They are protesting that hypocrite, Dubya, from acting like he gives a damn when all he wants is blacks to vote for him. Hope that helps.[/quote]

No, it’s still dumb. It doesn’t matter whether you think he’s a hypocrite or not; protesting an act of respect is lame.[/quote]

What if people were protesting the dedication of a Holocaust museum by Adolf Hitler himself?

:roll: OK, you got me. When that happens, let me know.

Did W. Bush visit MLK’s tomb on his birthdate in 2002 and 2003?

Exactly Dirt. Exactly.

Chet

Any you don’t think this isn’t every President’s reason for going there? You’re kidding yourself.