Hurricans & Global Warming

MIT Hurricane Study: Global Warming ‘Pumping Up’ Destructive Power

The results surprised Chris Landsea at the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration’s Hurricane Research Division in Miami, US. “This is the first article that has a smoking gun between global warming and hurricane activity,” he told New Scientist.

Natural disaster = higher gas/oil prices = reduced use & alternatives. It’s almost like Mother nature knows her shit.

Researching Voice of Planet ftw.

+5 funny!

Translation: STOP HURTING ME!!!

And here I was really hoping the first to suggest that NO had it coming would be a fundy nutjob. GG “science.”

That article precedes NO by almost a month, the MIT report by longer, no doubt. GG “brain.”

That article precedes NO by almost a month, the MIT report by longer, no doubt. GG “brain.”[/quote]

It was a joke. From the “Goodbye New Orleans…” thread:

Translation: Hoaxes, while looking cool, suck.

From the New York Times:

Because hurricanes form over warm ocean water, it is easy to assume that the recent rise in their number and ferocity is because of global warming.

But that is not the case, scientists say. Instead, the severity of hurricane seasons changes with cycles of temperatures of several decades in the Atlantic Ocean. The recent onslaught “is very much natural,” said William M. Gray, a professor of atmospheric science at Colorado State University who issues forecasts for the hurricane season.

From 1970 to 1994, the Atlantic was relatively quiet, with no more than three major hurricanes in any year and none at all in three of those years. Cooler water in the North Atlantic strengthened wind shear, which tends to tear storms apart before they turn into hurricanes.

In 1995, hurricane patterns reverted to the active mode of the 1950’s and 60’s.

Still freezing in Bavaria. I reckon there’s been only a week’s worth of sunny days in July and August in this town. I walked home the other night and my breath was frosting up. In August!

That’s just Franconia. In Lower Bavaria, we have sunshine and temperatures approaching 30°C at noon…

My condolences Tim from the sunny north.

Crypt, “we’re in a hurricane cycle upswing” is compatible with “global warming has made hurricanes stronger in general.”

Actually I think if you go do some reading, and look at the proposed impact of global warming on the various sections of the oceans, even global warming advocates (the ones that are real scientists) don’t believe it could have this type of impact on hurricanes.

Well, what I’ve read talks like there’s a connection; these two for one:

Take a look at articles in places that don’t have an agenda. I read some stuff in Nature (don’t have a web link, but you can get back articles in the Library) and other scientific based locations that say that this is just the normal cycle and even one climatologist warning that trying to lay the blame on global warming will hurt the credibility of claims that he feels do have a sound scientific basis. Here’s a real short article in the mainstream press:

It’s pretty simplistic to say that the water is getting a little warmer and so Katrina is so much worse than you’d expect from natural causes. In fact, had Katrina done what everyone expected and just gone right into Florida it wouldn’t have been nearly as strong and catastrophic: hanging out for the extra time in the Gulf allowed it to build up more steam, and then pushing the extra water up into the rivers, etc. while it was off the gulf didn’t help either.

That’s not what he says at all. In fact, the article clearly states that after a twenty five year down period (where, if global warming experts are to be believed, there was TON of it happening), hurricane phenomenon were on a decline. Then, in 1995, hurricane force “reverted” to the level of the 1950’s or 1960’s, when presumably there was a lot less global warming than there currently is.

Look, you can get in a larger debate if you want about the reality of global warming, and I’ll sit that out - I’m not stating any opinion whatsoever. But that article is CLEARLY saying that this is a natural peak following a natural valley.

Jeff, I didn’t say global warming caused Katrina, or it made Katrina worse, did I? That doesn’t mean that there’s not an underlying increase of some sort being driven by the planet getting hotter, which is what those links are about.

That’s not what he says at all. In fact, the article clearly states that after a twenty five year down period (where, if global warming experts are to be believed, there was TON of it happening), hurricane phenomenon were on a decline. Then, in 1995, hurricane force “reverted” to the level of the 1950’s or 1960’s.

Uh, so?

What the hell kind of doublespeak is this? “Warming didn’t cause it or make it worse, but the increase is due to warming.” Doubleplusgood.

Is “Katrina would obviously have happened without global warming, but global warming is in general driving hurricanes to be nastier” really that goddamn complicated?