Hyperspace Enigne - Space Sims FTW

I don’t know if anyone elso saw this, but I think this is pretty neat:

A publically announced effort towards Hyperspace technology. I can see Microsoft taking interest into this to finally realized their Windows-based Mars installation where they could conduct experimentations for new computer tech with no moral nor legal boundaries…

Sorry if this has been posted/discussed before.

The theoretical engine works by creating an intense magnetic field that, according to ideas first developed by the late scientist Burkhard Heim in the 1950s, would produce a gravitational field and result in thrust for a spacecraft.

Also, if a large enough magnetic field was created, the craft would slip into a different dimension, where the speed of light is faster, allowing incredible speeds to be reached. Switching off the magnetic field would result in the engine reappearing in our current dimension.

The US air force has expressed an interest in the idea and scientists working for the American Department of Energy - which has a device known as the Z Machine that could generate the kind of magnetic fields required to drive the engine - say they may carry out a test if the theory withstands further scrutiny.

If magnetic fields allow objects to slip into different dimensions, why haven’t all our fusion research reactors already disappeared to Andromeda?

Because that requires protoculture.

The real questions is, what is the probability that I can replicate this effect with my refrigerator magnets?

If I’m not back in twenty minutes, someone please send a pan-dimensional search team to find me.

I don’t understand. They’re trying to do this without photon milk? That will never work.

Actually it will, but they’ll only figure out the real solution after 50 minutes of trying and failing.

I can’t believe an actual scientist said “science fact.”

Well, if he could actually disappear and reappear somewhere else over long distances at displacement speed faster than light, I’d call that a fact.

Of course, this is purely speculative science fiction. Magnetic fields that produce gravitation? Sure hasn’t been any evidence of that, and it’s not like people haven’t looked either.

Better still, he busted out the most circularly logical statement with “If the theory is correct then…it is science fact.”

Really? If your theory is true, then it’s a fact? A true theory - a proof, - a actually a fact. I…well, that’s almost the definition of one, isn’t it?

Scientists should be read and not heard.

only in Robotech and doesn’t make sense in Macross! Whee ~~

But what if they´re right???
hey perhaps humankind would go to the next Starsystem in my lifetime…
Let´s see im nearly 40 so they have hopefully at least 20 years to R & D it…

nope too soon, and it wouldn´t work anyway so sad too bad

You know, the whole thing reminds me of Star Trek a bit too much. 21st century, out of nowhere sudden development of a propulsion system that enables travel to other stars by a very small group of scientists. What is next, Vulcans arriving to say hello?
Let’s hope it is going to be Vulcans and not anything worse.

Now, I don’t know if this is going to work or not, but I guess it might as well work now.

Maybe Anders will get his Buster Machines after all.

It sounds like he was being quoted out of context. Also, I don’t think English is his first language.

That said, the whole thing sounds pretty far out.