I apparently can get 5.6 million dollars!

From Regina Omaru.
Abidjan. Cote dIvoire,
West Africa.

Hello dear,
I deep it a respect and humble submission, I beg to state the following few lines for your kind consideration, I hope you will spare some of your valuable minutes to read the following appeal with sympathetic mind. I must confess that it is with great hopes, joy and enthusiasm that I write you this email which I know and believe by faith that it must surely find you in good condition of health.

My name is Regina Omaru, I am the only child of my late parents Chief. Mr. Kazang Omaru. My father was a highly reputable business magnet who operated in the capital of Ivory Coast during his days.

It is sad to say that he passed away mysteriously in France during one of his business trips abroad on the 12th September 2007. Though his sudden death was linked or rather suspected to have been masterminded by an uncle of mine who travelled with him at that time. But God knows the truth! My mother died when I was just 6yrs old, and since then my father took me so special.

Before the death of my father on September 2007, he called me and informed me that he has the sum of Five Million, Six Hundred thousand United State Dollars.(USD$5,600,000.00) he deposited in a private Bank here in Abidjan Cote D’Ivoire… He told me that he deposited the money in my name, and also gave me all the necessary legal documents regarding to this deposit with the Bank,

I am just 22 years old and a university undergraduate and really don’t know what to do. Now I want an honest and GOD fearing partner overseas who I can transfer this money with his assistance and after the transaction I will come and reside permanently in your country till such a time that it will be convenient for me to return back home if I so desire. This is because I have suffered a lot of set backs as a result of incessant political crisis here in Ivory coast.

The death of my father actually brought sorrow to my life. I also want to invest the fund under your care because I am ignorant of business world.

I am in a sincere desire of your humble assistance in this regards.Your suggestions and ideas will be highly regarded.

What percentage of the total amount in question will you take after the fund has being transferred to your account and I come over to meet you?

Please, consider this and get back to me as soon as possible. Immediately I confirm your willingness, I will send to you my Picture and also inform you more details involved in this matter.

Kind Regards,
Regina Omaru.

This sounds pretty legit… what should I do?

I would also like to note that she used Comic Sans as a font…

They will burn!!!

Why are you not playing and posting your Quarterville turn?!

I had a busy weekend. I will be doing it tonight!! After work!

I am the only child of my late parents Chief

Hm… Ponderous, man, really ponderous.

I love reading these things. It’s like eating candy, or reading a comic. Just fun. Is that strange?

Also, when will a new trick evolve in this? Has there been any evolution in this scam in the last 5 or so years? I’d love to see stats on how successful it is.

The new one I’ve seen is offering you a job as a Financial Processing Agent, or some such, where you “handle” transactions for a “company” and take 10% of everything that passes through your hands.

Or, apparently, as a myster shopper:

Dear Representative,

You have been selected for an assignment as a Mystery Shopper. You will earn $400 been a mystery shopper. Your employment packet include funds for the shopping, a training assignment which will be send to you after you received payment for the assignment. Paycheck would be sent to you for the assignment by Check or money order. The paycheck would be in a certain amount, you are to deduct your salary,and the rest would be used for the evaluation at the store that would be given to you.
Your Employment packet are as follows :

Email me the below details:

Full Name:
Full Address:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Phone Number:
Nationality:
Alternative Email Address:

As a mystery shopper you work and shop together for pleasure and the pay is $400 weekly on Part time basis , You only work 2-3hours twice in a week. Do get back to the recruiting department of Shoppers’ Critique International.

N:B - HAVE YOU EVER DONE THIS OFFER FOR ANY COMPANY IF YES/NO… IF YOU KNOW THAT YOU ARE NOT GOING TO BE CHECKING YOUR MAILBOX,JUNK/BULK MAIL AND REPLYING THEM ON A DAILY BASIS FOR MY MESSAGES,THEN YOU ARE NOT QUALIFIED FOR THIS POSITION.

Your response would be highly appreciated.
Best Regard
Stephen Woods
Secret Shopper®

Ask for money. Lots of it. Be sure only to accept a cashiers check. Do not give out any account numbers, but be sure he gives you his. If he asks for $1000 to get the process rolling, be sure to ask him to lend you $2000 first so he can borrow the money from you.

Fail! Cashier’s checks are easily forged and can stay in the system for weeks before being declared a fraud and getting sucked back out of your account. This is a common tactic in high-dollar transactions, such as wedding photography. They hire you from afar, you tell them “$3000 for the job.” They send you a cashier’s check for $5000, and when you point out the discrepancy, they ask you to mail them a check for the difference. After all, your bank account shows that the $5000 is there, right?

A week later, the bank would like to have its $5000 back, and they’ll nicely not send you up for fraud if you pay right now.

If handling anything $1000 and under, ask for a postal money order. It costs $1.50 and is more or less unbeatable.

H.

I would ask for uncut diamonds. This is the Ivory Coast, after all, not Nigeria. Oh, ideally they should be sent in a plain aluminum briefcase…

Step 1: State that you are insulted that they would require you to be “god fearing” as you are an atheist. Claim that if they mix religion and business then she doesnt understand how business works and you dont want to work with some sort of religious fanatic.

Step 2: Wait for her to write back claiming that she isn’t really religious and feeding you a bunch of crap about how she respects you and your business sense.

Step 3: Write back saying you are interested in working with her, but you are still worried that she may be a fanatic. If she proves that she is who she says she is, and that she isnt devoutly religious you will work with her.

Step 4: Wait for the return letter where she tries to prove it by arguing her point or asking what she can do to prove it.

Step 5: Tell her the only thing you will accept that will both prove who she is and that she isnt to religious is if she sends naked pictures of herself to you. Be sure to clarify exactly what should be included in the picture so you can be sure it isnt a picture off the internet.

Step 6: Enjoy oggling the naughty bits of the person who was trying to scam you (or more likely their girlfriend, but either way works).

That seems a bit harsh Kael.

It seems fun, but borderline illegal or something.

I misread “get” as “eat” and was rather baffled by the thread title.

That’d be quite a meal.

As for the OP, cash only! Cash only!

Latest scam is offering a loan from a Nigerian bank, and then asking you for a processing fee.

It’s worse, because (1) it’s probably more believable than FREE MONIEZ! and, as someone who works in an industry where we try to make loans available to the lower income, (2) targeting people who NEED that loan is despicable.