I can hear my computer think

One of the worst things about PCs are fan noise. The PC I picked up a while ago made a horrific rattle - bad fan. Fixing that though, I can literally hear my video card spin whenever I do something graphically intensive. Like when I zoom in or move the camera, the fan noise changes. When I drop to a menu, the fan cuts out. If I hit the windows key and drop to desktop, the fan noise stops on a dime. It’s basically tracking my mouse almost 1:1. It drives me batty!

Is this usual for PC gamers? Do ya’lls PC perfectly track your activity to your fan noise?

Can you not use Afterburner or something like that to set a custom fan profile?

I mean normally that’s what you do if it’s just a hair dryer. Here it has something to do with activity, which is super weird and annoying.

Is it a laptop? Sounds like you must be really close to it!

It’s an external video card in an enclosure.

No, but that’s because I pay a pretty penny for my cases. I look for ones with good airflow plus noise dampening.

I haven’t heard about the quality of these though when it comes to noise.

It’s not that weird. Activity means higher temperatures, which means higher fan speed, which means more noise.

I use Afterburner to ramp up my GPU fans in discrete steps, and set a 5-degree threshold to drop back down. So if I have the fan profile set to ramp up a notch at 60 degrees, then the fan speed won’t drop back down until it hits 55 degrees.

edit: Looking at my PC now, the feature is called ‘temperature hysteresis.’ Mine is set to 7 degrees, not 5.

I remember being able to hear the crunchy hard drive access and coil whine whenever there was any access or processing done from my first computer to a few computers later. This only went away in the last decade.

Taken it apart and given it a good clean right? I have to clean fans and heatsinks etc once a year or so. I think airflow wasnt right at some point and i could hear it more often but my last clean sorted it loads.

I had a computer where, if you didn’t mute the audio inputs, you could hear static through the speakers that tracked when you scrolled up and down.

Same. I went with a Fractal Design silent case on this last PC build. Makes all the difference in the world.

My new brand of choice as well. I never used them before but I went to an Antec Solo which was quiet, to a Cooler Master which was not, to Fractal Design and man, I just love working in a Fractal Design case. It just felt, I don’t know different, but it is also pretty quiet. Next time around I might spend just a bit more since I feel more confident with the brand now.

Can you choose the video card and is it very big? You can get a really quiet ASUS or MSI card. Their high end custom-coolers models are incredibly quiet.

Like Rei says, are you sure it’s not coil whine? I have a Dell XPS laptop that would make noises depending on what was showing on the screen (white background for example) after many years it was fixed after newer video/realtek drivers.

You know I think it is coil whine. It sometimes happen in desktop as well. It sounds more like high pitched rattle, which is why I thought it was the fan.

Sometimes games with uncapped frame rates can exacerbate coil whine. Try enabling vsync or using a 3rd-party app to limit the FPS.

Before integrated audio got better shielding, I could hear activity unless I used discrete sound.

Good idea, pick up a $7 usb sound card.