I do so love that feeling

About four or five years ago, around the spring months, there came on the radio one day while I was on the train, one of those songs that you can’t help but remember and got stuck in your head. I was instantly enchanted by it. Its such a good song or a song that fits with you so well, that you kind of hurt with the need to hear it again. But for one reason or another every time it would come on I would never be in a position to hear of its name or the band that sang it. So time went on and everytime it came on, I was overjoyed to hear it again, but I never did catch what I could to get it permamently. Time went by and of course, the song stopped getting played on the radio.

So since then, for about four years or so, I’ve been searching for that song, listening to all sorts of free trial CD tracks or trying those online snatches of songs, downloading MP3s and keeping vigilant on the radio and I never was able to hear it again.

Until today! Today, on a whim I decided to buy a CD, and since I had so enjoyed two of their other albums, I decided on Quruli’s The World is Mine, which BTW, is fantastic.

Imagine my surprise, when BINGO PRESTO HEY HO THE BEST-O! track 4 was MY SONG! The song I had been looking for all these years! The one that had lingered in my memory and I had longed to hear again so much. As soon as it got to the 30 second mark on the song I recognized it and screamed really quite loudly from sheer happiness.

(The song in question is World’s END Supernova. Isn’t it GREAT?)

Well, since having listened to it 15 billion times in sheer bliss, from talking to friends I think this is one those universal human experiences lots of people have, like taking a splinter out with tweezers, or having one’s first crush or something, that is, the finding of a song that has haunted your memory for years finally. Its such an awesome, complete, lovely, goo-goo-happy-woo feeling.

I’m wondering if anyone else has had experiences like that. So, have you?

-Kitsune

You know what? Yes I have, several times, but I’ll be god damned if I can remember any of them specifically now.

Ah! What the hell is the sample in the background?! I’ve heard in a few North American songs as well.

I know in one version it is replayed on a violin and sped up.

I like this, even though I have no idea what the hell they are saying.

Yeah, in my head I just see the puppets from Team America: World Police talking.

It’s very poignant though. It reminds me of the first time I heard The Police when I was a kid. I was knocked out. It took me months to figure out who in the world was behind those songs because rock-n-roll wasn’t allowed in my house. “King of Pain” just kept running around in my head, nagging at me.

When I finally got to hear the whole cassette of Synchronicity it was like finally getting that itch you just can’t scratch.

“There’s a little black spot on the sun today…”

-Amanpour

Hey Kitsune, that song is really catchy and upbeat. It’s not the kind of music I usually like but I can imagine listening to it while driving along some twisty roads.

On a related note, there was a fairly popular JPop song doing the rounds back in 2001-02 or so that I enjoyed but I don’t know the name of the song or the artist. It was in Japanese and sung by a woman but I think the singer was actually Chinese. It wasn’t what I consider typical JPop though; it was more soulful and the singer’s voice was a little haunting. Any ideas what it could be?

I don’t know how you fare with American music, Kitsune, but if you liked that song and you haven’t heard anything by Daft Punk, you really probably ought to check them out. They have a similar tendancy to do cool repeated background loops and vocoder work. (At least I think there’s some decent vocoder work on your song’s vocals, it’s a bit harder to tell in a totally foreign language.)

I didn’t know Daft Punk was American.

Err… no clue on the band’s nationality, but the album is in English is what I meant, and I know it’s released in America. Since people generally tend to lose their accents when singing normally, and Daft Punk runs through heavy vocoders, they could be anything really. (Except the Scorpions! :P )

I don’t know for sure, but I always assumed they were German.

French, according to VH1.

Still, I think that if Kitsune liked that song he’d like Daft Punk too.

Quite often, when I was back home in New Zealand a couple of years ago, I heard a song on the radio I just loved. But I never caught who sung it.

Perhaps a month later after finally recalling some lyrics correctly, I did a google search for them and found out it was a Sheryl Crow song “Soak up the sun.”

I certainly didn’t get that nice feeling you had. Its strange that seeing her sing the song can suck the like I have for it out of me.

Half my co-workers are in love with this song, and request lyrics and/or translation.

Based on your description, I would guess you are thinking of “Morainaki” by Hitoto You (released late 2002 (by which I mean the song, not the singer)). I have vague and untrustworthy recollections that she is half-Taiwanese.