I hate Amazon bait n switch

Yes and Yes.

@stusser
Supposedly you can call amazon and either opt out of Lasership, or have it be the lowest priority option for your shipments.

Where did you hear that? I just googled it and didn’t find anything.

NYC subreddit complaining about lasership, let me find it

I have good memory! I remembered Stusser hates lasership! (yet I fail to remember to bring my keys with me or whatever…)

I would be surprised. I couldn’t get them to make any sort of carrier preference setting when I was last having problems with UPS. The best I could do was have them put a field in saying to leave the package if no response. And I haven’t had problems (with Amazon packages at least) since, so maybe that helped.

Edit: that said, UPS is their primary shipper, or was, so maybe a smaller company like Lasership they can be more flexible about.

Yeah I just tried and they said they couldn’t do it unless I changed my address to “commercial”, which means switching off weekend delivery entirely.

Recently we’ve been having a problem where packages are getting dumped in a patch of ivy at the bottom of our driveway. It’s not great having Amazon’s shipping partners treat items with the same disregard as the poor saps delivering unwanted phone-books at the bottom of our driveway because they are also too lazy to walk up the hill to our door.

fwiw Amazon pays their delivery people by the number of packages delivered, so they are incentived to take as little time per package as possible, not necessarily lazyness. Yay gig economy.

Heh at least amazon works more or less in the USA. In europe there’s like ten different national amazons and they do not share accounts well. They try to, but somewhere they fucked up. So if you have a amazon.nl account you cant pay with paypal. You can with a amazon.de account. But you cant make an account there if you have a .nl account. a truly infuriating mess.

The Edmonton equivalent to NYC’s Lasership seems to be Intelcom.

Well I do think e-tailers should care that they might be selling unsafe products, often from China. Hopefully this has some sort of impact.

On the subject of delivery problems, lately they have taken to attempting delivery in the evening, after my office building is locked and everyone has gone home. Is there any way to tell them to restrict delivery hours to 9-5? All I could fine where options to block weekend delivery.

You could call and see if there’s an instruction that can be put in but in my experience most delivery companies are unwilling to make any accommodations whatsoever.

The best part is, if you click the “contact shipper” button, whatever it’s labeled, you get sent to page with like thirty different companies and they say, “It’s one of these.” Useless.

You don’t need to call them for that. You can leave instructions on addresses when you Manage them, which includes not delivering them on weekends. I suppose you can put times in there but… I am not sure that will matter or they will read them. It usually have to do where you’re at on their route.

In my experience there’s no place to put that kind of thing nor do the drivers care about instructions you do leave. Amazon, specifically, does have the ability to provide a basic instruction to their delivery drivers, though, whereas Fedex and UPS won’t do that. No guarantees on the drivers caring, again, but it’s worth a shot.

I think they do this but you have to pay for it through their Plus program, forget what FedEx calls there. I had that for a year due to a promotion via American Express. I could leave instructions, even reroute the package, but it had costs.

Amazon should at the very least have a way to mark an address as a business which means no weekend delivers and no deliveries past five. I didn’t see a way to do that. That used to be a standard option anyway.

UPS has something similar. It’s free for basic options. I’m not altogether sure what all the options available are, but you can pre-sign packages. You can reroute packages to other addresses (for a fee) — I’ve resent something to a friend’s house. I think theoretically you can set a delivery time — I’m not sure if that’s always available. I would imagine you can have them hold something at the UPS office for you.

Generally if Amazon sends me something via UPS, UPS emails me a day in advance in case I want to change any of my delivery options for the package.

Also didn’t someone mention upthread that you can change your Amazon account to a “business” account and they won’t deliver on the weekends? That might also prevent delivery after 5pm, as most businesses will close their reception and delivery offices around 5pm.