I hate my PSP more and more

I bought a PSP for one simple reason: Grand Theft Auto. I’m a junkie for the franchise. I will buy every one that comes out. I may buy it on multiple platforms. I will play it through multiple times. I will buy the hint book, dvd, and soundtrack. So portable GTA on sexy new hardware? Yes, please.

Originally, the EB website had GTA shipping a few weeks after the PSP itself. So I snatched a unit up and waited. The manager of the local EB swore up and down that it was a confirmed ship date, and not one of the fantasy made-up dates that often litters the EB website. (Having seen completely invented listings for my own games, I suppose I should have known better.)

Then, of course, the inevitable disappointment. Ship date suddenly says October. Damn.

So I wait. I play Lumines and a little Wipeout. I anticipate, buy, and get bored of Nintendogs. I pwn Ragnaros in teh face and collect a few Lawbringer pieces on the side.

Finally: today.

I’ve been keeping an eye on the stores all week.
I have my PSP charged and ready to go, at the office with me ready to sneak a quick 10 minute tour of Liberty City.
I go out at lunch.
Not in the first store.
One on the shelf in the second store (willing to price match the first store, no less).
I hurry back to the office.
I pop Lumines out and slide GTA in.
I receive a message that I must update my PSP firmware to play the game.
Oh, SHIT.

Now, I don’t do any emulation or anything on my PSP. I don’t watch movies or copy tv shows to it. I just use it to play PSP games (placing me, I suspect, in a noteworthy minority). So I don’t care about upgrading the firmware.

What I DO care about is that, after waiting months for the game - the killer app I bought the damn system for - and remembering to bring a fully charged PSP along with me (a device INTENDED, may I emphasize, to be used PORTABLY and untethered to a socket of any type)…

…I can’t install the fucking firmware upgrade because I don’t have the POWER ADAPTER here with me, because for some reason I can’t even BEGIN to imagine, you have to have it plugged in to do a firmware upgrade. Does anybody know why this is? Or is it just another stupid, useless, stupid, useless and stupid variation on copyright protection that is just designed to inconvenience legitimate users?

Grats Sony - you’ve turned a system that had me instantly captivated from the moment I first saw one into one of the most inconvenient contraptions I own. I hope the system suffers a lingering and painful death.

After I snatch Virtua Tennis, first.

… to make sure your battery doesn’t conk out halfway through, trashing your PSP in the process?

it’s still a weak reason though. It should be able to tell how much charge the battery has. That’s one thing I hate most.

A bad (or old) battery can show a full charge and still crap out very quickly. From Sony’s perspective, and mine for that matter, it’s not worth the risk to let the updater work without a net.

I had my copy yesterday but I still haven’t opened it. Still waiting for the haxors to fix the firmware issue.

Also I think the plugging in of the unit is a good thing you never know what might happen. Its just a safety check and really not that big of a deal.

I’m sure Sony said “The # of people who hate us because you have to be plugged in to update firmware is going to be MUCH smaller than the # of people who hate us because of unuseable PSPs that result from updates run of battery and failing for whatever reason”

They’re almost certainly right.

This is a trvial issue, I can’t see why people would really get in a huff about it.

Who wouldn’t wish death on a company that “forced” him to wait 5 more hours to play a game he’s waited months for?

I personally don’t care that much, but it’s slightly irritating.

Yeah, while I totally understand (and agree with) the logical crew, I’m madder then a wet hen because I have to leave for California at 6pm and Civ IV came out today. I don’t even have a target. I need to blame someone, but right now it’s hovering between my friend who talked me into it, Blizzard for picking such a terrible time for BlizCon, and Firaxis for picking such a bad release date.

We’re gamers; this is our passion. It’s just like Football people who go nuts when someone drops a pass or Basketball, Chicago, and 1996. Maybe it’s not rational, but you’ve all done it too.

Chris Woods

The point is that it’s portable… but it’s not… but it is… but it’s not.

That’s the real issue raised by having to plug it in to do a firmware update. You certainly don’t expect to have to do that when you’re buying a portable videogame for your portable videogame console.

–Dave

It was even more irritating when my PSP, after I plugged it into the power adapter, still refused to upgrade the firmware. Apparently, it wanted the battery to be more charged.

It’s a reasonable safety measure for a potentially system-killing issue (I’ve fried a BIOS in my day) BUT firmware upgrades are for Sony’s benefit, not mine. Heaven forbid people add value to your system at no cost to you. That’s the pisser.

I’m mainly annoyed because every game I’ve bought since launch has required a firmware upgrade.

Is it so unreasonable to wish that there was at least an option to go ahead and update? Throw up a great big huge scary warning screen that says “AC Adaptor not connected!!! Any interruption to the power while the firmware is updating may result in permanent and irrepairable damage to this unit. Do you wish to proceed?” Hell, even give me two or three “are you really, REALLY sure” confirmations after that.

But it’s a mobile unit. Don’t make me bring the leash around in case I want to buy a new game for it.

And I’m very, very sorry for being the first person to ever write an angry and reactionary post here. :D

It was even more irritating when my PSP, after I plugged it into the power adapter, still refused to upgrade the firmware. Apparently, it wanted the battery to be more charged.

It’s a reasonable safety measure for a potentially system-killing issue (I’ve fried a BIOS in my day) BUT firmware upgrades are for Sony’s benefit, not mine. Heaven forbid people add value to your system at no cost to you. That’s the pisser.[/quote]

Same thing happened to me recently. I was pretty pissed then.

2.0 added a significant amount of end-consumer benefit to the console. The failure of the hackers to find a loader that works so far may even indicate that some of those benefits are directly tied to thow the game runs.

Regardless of how many warnings Sony put in your face, you’d be way more pissed that a firmware update crapped out mid-way thanks to a flaky battery.

Most wireless and mobile devices require the wire to do system-critical updates. You usually can’t update the firmware if your wireless router, er, wirelessly, for example. You need to be plugged in to do it on most of the models I’ve seen. Would you flash the BIOS of your laptop without plugging it in to the wall?

The PSP firmware updates have generally added some new features, like additional media format support.

I find it strange that sony would force updates of firmware like that. PSX and PS2 games had the needed firmware on disc, and each game loaded the exact version it needed. It was never actually written to the console.

This was good for two reasons: games could use newer firmware, and games using newer firmware wouldn’t fuck up older games designed around older firmware.

Unless the firmware is fixing critical problems with the system, I find it shady that sony forces it like that.

It’s nice to get some carrot with your stick, but you’re still getting the stick.

My iPod does the same thing, and it never fails to irritate me. After an iPod software update, even a fully charged Gen 4 iPod needs to be plugged in - and not just via a USB cable, but with the goddamn wall socket charger - before it’ll let you at your music.

It’s annoying.

So, what version of the firmware is on the GTA:LCS UMD? 2.0? 2.01? Something else?

/Eph