I hate this guy

My wife too! (about my beard, not yours. At least, I hope so…)

Don’t worry, mine and Mrs Greeny’s relationship is totally platonic!

My wife is always bugging me to shave more often.

Anyway:

I don’t hate this “guy,” but I do find the tagline kind of amusing.

There’s something kinda charming about the janky ads you find in the backs of old computer mags.

Beyond the horrible name (I just think of a Stegosaurus steak looking at those letters), I was surprised to read about those shutter glasses.
I had watched a 1980 documentary series repeatedly in my younger days, where an American inventor of Russian assent was displaying, in one of the episodes, a bunch of things that he had created or that he was working on. One of those was a concept of 3D display using such glasses: he was discussing his current problem of managing to synchronize the shutters to the display, in theaters for instance.
I am surprised to see this technology in application. Were such 3D glasses sold here and there in the US, or was this Atari ST version the only one? Did it feel nice? Is that technology actually still being used?
In any case, that’s just an awesome throwback.

Yes, current 3D TVs are either active or passive type. Active types use glasses with shutters.

i.e.

Wow, thank you, I had no idea.

I remember now, thanks to the wikipedia article, that the system he was showing off was a spinning disc, but not the antique type as described: it was a spinning piece of metal with holes fixated on glasses, that was supposed to be synchronized with the other display.

I wonder why no one has leveraged high resolution TV’s, like 4k displays, with paralax filters, to create glassless 3D. This seems like a natural thing, but as far as I know no one is doing it commercially.

Parallax requires you to be at a particular angle for it to work right, so not everyone would see the screen correctly in a living room.

The 3ds does what you say (the parallax, not the 4k). Because there is one person playing and they are always right in front.

I believe that there are filters that they have, which essentially end up doing it for multiple viewing angles. Pretty sure it’s been demonstrated in the past. The biggest issue was that it resulted in halving the resolution.

Ah, here’s something that talks about it.

I know it’s juvenile, but at first blush that doesn’t seem to be a space shuttle he’s looking at.

If that wasn’t done on purpose!

Interesting. Your glasses would have to be aware of your 3D position for that to work, I’d think, and the current active and passive 3D solutions definitely appear to be easier than that.

I found this in an issue of Playstation Magazine. Way to know your audience doodz

Heh, gaming with a psycho-killer.

Called the number. Got stuck on question 2, “Who the heck is this Justin Bailey person, and why is their name utilized in Metroid?”

Now I’ll never get a Boomerang 64 controller.