I hate this software

The reason people are scared of Git is that even the tutorials almost always have a step that says “DON’T DO THIS UNLESS YOU ARE ABSOLUTELY SURE WHAT YOU ARE DOING.” Also, the fact that this (https://git-man-page-generator.lokaltog.net/) needs to have a disclaimer at the top.

People are scared of git because if you run the wrong command you can blow everything up.

I’m not a developer, just a user, but HOLY SHIT-BALLS I HATE JAVA.

“Write once, run anywhere,” MY FUCKING ASS SCOTT MCNEALLY. I had to keep a legacy Win2003 server around with ancient version of java just so I could manage my fabric switches. What the ever-living fuck.

And when opening the (java) remote console on a Dell iDRAC, you have to click “Yes, I really want to run this shitty software” FOUR fucking times because Chrome knows java’s basically a virus, Dell knows java’s basically a virus, and shit, even JAVA knows java’s basically a virus!

FUCK JAVA.

I like git. It isn’t scary at all if you understand what it’s doing.

I also like Mercurial, and use it in preference to git for all of my personal projects, but I think git is better for multiple people.

http://ohshitgit.com/

Summary: Bunch of how to on fixing things that have gone wrong.

This nugget at the end is my favorite:

Fuck this noise, I give up.

cd ..
   sudo rm -r fucking-git-repo-dir
   git clone https://some.github.url/fucking-git-repo-dir.git
   cd fucking-git-repo-dir

Well, I didn’t list Java in my “software I hate” list above because it’s not software in itself, but if languages count, I fully agree with you. And I say that as a developer.

It might be better for multiple people who know what they’re doing and don’t use rebase for almost every commit they do. But yes, for people who know what they’re doing, git can be better. Git is also better for binary files and in case you need to “fix” history, which is a legitimate case in some very specific instances.

I think Git with the user-friendliness of Mercurial would be the perfect source control solution, but that’s not gonna happen, alas.

In practice, what most people will do is the very last example in that site. ;)

Man I hate Confluence and JIRA. Overengineered is really the perfect word to describe them, though I think my company is as much to blame as Atlassian is.

Our Confluence instance is a garbage fire. There is no governance in it whatsoever. Starting a new project? Just create some new pages! Stick 'em anywhere, it doesn’t matter! Nest them inside each other, we’ll still be able to find them, probably! If we can’t find them, we’ll just create some more!

Git’s main advantages (for me) over Mercurial are the ability to easily turn a working directory into several commits and the ability to edit history, both of which can be done in the Mercurial ecosystem. (TortoiseHG is much closer to a requirement to productively use Mercurial than TortoiseGit is for Git, and there’s an hg-rebase extension.) It’s nice that they’re built in in git, though.

i.e.

That comic accurately describes my experiences using git during my programming courses in college.

Well, editing history actually goes against the original design concepts behind Mercurial, so I consider its (limited) support to that kind of thing a hack more than anything, and I hate hacks. Having several commits at any one given time in the same working directory can be useful in some circunstances, but I usually prefer focused changes/commits.

Don’t get me wrong. Git is great, but it’s also tricky and “hacky” and dangerous. Mercurial is easier to use and understand and has a better interface (and better multiplatform support), but it’s of course not as powerful or efficient or popular as Git.

What in the actual fuck. I’m almost madder about this than I am about goddamn Confluence.

Thankfully, though, that was not in any team I actually worked with, but a friend of mine worked with a very rebase-friendly team and told me some pretty good horror stories. ;)

Is this the place to bring up IBM Lotus Notes?

me_irl

I’ve done a bit of JIRA admin over the years. The Jira admin UI was made by programmers, for nobody.

All I have to say about it is to note that there are separate configuration pages for:

• Issue Types
  • Screens
  • Screen Schemes
  • Issue Type Schemes
  • Issue Type Screen Scheme

Making a change to a screen probably requires you to edit all of them. Good luck remembering which one is which!

Gitlab’s Community version is mediocre which makes it a pretty good option compared to most things.

I love git, it’s so great. Every other source control system I have ever used absolutely sucked in comparison.

We use perforce at work. I cannot fucking stand it. What is 2 or 3 simple git commands requires 20 UI panels in the perforce client. Ew.

Also, I’ll just say this: I can’t stand Unity. I don’t like C#, I freaking hate the Unity UI that is always barging into your workflow, and I hate the incessant problems we have with all kinds of black box bugs that we can’t track down. Unity is a dumpster fire, IMO. Blech.

WTF, in what universe is a language not software?