I have an ethics question

Indeed. Major Icehole, will you be a savvy, reasonable person who can recognize what is truly at stake in this particular instance, what is important, and who stands to lose as well as gain the most from your decisions and act accordingly to those realizations, or are you going to be a complete idiot and call the store and lose 4 wonderful inches off your TV screen?

Sounded like when he opened it the wrong set was in the box but it was marked as the right one. I’ve seen weird things like that happen but usually it’s the other way around and the consumer is getting screwed.

Actually, if the outside of the box is marked correctly and the receipt does NOT match the box, I’m pretty sure it could be considered stealing ($1000 difference) if he didn’t contact the store. I would make sure that I documented everything.

I also would tell them to get their ass out to my house with the right set and take the wrong one away.

Mark Crump makes a good, totally “guy” point about why you might want to tell them, but honestly, I’d just tell them anyway. They may let you keep it rather than going to the trouble of coming to your house to exchange it (which I’d insist on–it was their mistake, after all). Either way, you get a clear concience.

I used to work in retail back int he day, and if I were a manager at said store, I’d probably let you keep it. $1000 is probably pretty close to their markup on that set, maybe abit more, but at most the store loses a little money, saves a lot of hassle, and engenders a ton of customer goodwill.

I’m guessing the box is marked correctly just because a 46" tv probably won’t fit in the box for a 42" tv. I mean, I guess it is possible the company uses one-size-fits-all-boxes and just packs in more packing material for the smaller tvs, but that seems unlikely. In any case, proving theft would be pretty difficult due to massive plausible deniability (You don’t say? I didn’t even notice!), unless the person who aquired the tv did something stupid like post the story to some internet forum.

Meanwhile, don’t let them get any concrete information about you or your purchase. That way if the outcome is not what you desire, you can just hang up and they’d never be the wiser.

Yes. Also, in a break-up, fire would run off with your TV.

Wasn’t that an episode of King of the Hill?

Ok, good so far thanks. Here’s some follow-up.
The box was clearly marked with the correct model number. It doesn’t match my receipt. I swear I didn’t notice till after it was in my living room and open. Like I said I was totally excited to have a new tv.
Talked to the GF at lunch. She now says “it’s their screw-up and their problem.” Also lots of people have said they never would have noticed the difference. Sure looks bigger than in the store but not the model number discrepency.
So it’s no longer a question if I can live with the GF it’s if I can live with myself. But you must know. I don’t equate this with stealing from the collection plate or anything. I’m pretty sure I could live at ease with myself.
What it comes down to for me is this: Does this represent some good karma comming back around to me? And if it does, am I totally negating it by not calling the store.

are you the kind of man who posts screenshots of magazine reviews on forums? ARE YOU!?

Huh? Sorry, I’m new here and I just don’t get it.

There was a controversy many moons ago when somebody basically posted magazine scans of a review. Since many of the people here write for games magazines this was considered uncool to say the least.

Don’t do it here. You’ll get in trouble!

They still have magazines?

Well, if you’re just trying to figure it out from a karmic viewpoint, consider:

If it actually represents good karma coming back around, calling the store up and saying “Look, here’s what happened…” would invariably lead to them saying “Hey, by the time we send delivery drivers out there to pick it up from you and take the markdown on it being an open box item, we’re out the profit on the item anyway. Keep it, enjoy, and thanks for being honest.”

So the real question is have you led a pure enough life that you actually believe this is karmic equilibration? ;)

The GF’s fine with it?

Now this is getting tough.

I’d still call the store though. Not because I think keeping the TV is wrong enough to worry about, but because it would really suck to need to get warranty work done in two months and have to explain why there is no record of you ever purchasing the TV.

And Hawkeye is right. I think that when faced with having to drop off the new set and pickup the old set and sell it as open stock, they’ll just tell you to keep it.

I forgot the original poster’s user name was Major Icehole and thought Bill was calling Rimbo an asshole for being all high and mighty. I thought, Jesus, that fuckin Bill is such a jerk.

Keep the TV, break up with your GF, and ask fire for a date. Be sure to mention your new TV. It will totally work.

Whatever happens, make sure you have a paper record of it.

• Alan

Motherfucker, you can’t remember your own goddamned name and furtherm-oh wait, I just read your whole post just now. Carry on!

Unless you decide to steal the tv, in which case burn the paper record!

The mental image of leedle fire scampering off with a big-screen TV slung over her back is PUH RICELESS.