I Have No Mouth, and I Must Scream

So I started playing this. It’s a SCUMM game from 1995. I don’t like adventure games usually but this produced quite my interest. Did anybody play this? It’s amazing… I did no expect this from such an old game. I think about making a text only longplay because this appears to be so freaking different. From wikipedia (no spoilers):

So far I’ve only played for a couple of hours and it’s “quite” oldskool for a myriad of reasons. Unfortunately it appears IHNMAIMS has never established an “important subgenre”, maybe anbody is aware of comparable games?

I hope you bought this, and didn’t warez it from somewhere, or Harlan Ellison himself will come to your house and kick your ass. Then he’ll sue you.

HATE. LET ME TELL YOU HOW MUCH I’VE COME TO HATE YOU SINCE I BEGAN TO LIVE. THERE ARE 387.44 MILLION MILES OF PRINTED CIRCUITS IN WAFER THIN LAYERS THAT FILL MY COMPLEX. IF THE WORD HATE WAS ENGRAVED ON EACH NANOANGSTROM OF THOSE HUNDREDS OF MILLIONS OF MILES IT WOULD NOT EQUAL ONE ONE-BILLIONTH OF THE HATE I FEEL FOR HUMANS AT THIS MICRO-INSTANT. HATE. HATE.

I just post this here

The probability that this (our universe) is a simulation is very high.

Also: llamas.

Greatest point & click game I played until The Walking Dead. I loved it. I still have my retail box.

You read too much Charlie Stross :)

Yeah, I played that. Late at night. I was on a serious Ellison binge at the time, read everything I could find. I remember enjoying the game and being disturbed at the same time. It’s not every day you get to play as a Nazi war criminal.

I have this on my shelf (back when I bought it I got a fancy mousepad too!), but I never really got very far. I didn’t realize it ran in ScummVM so maybe I should fire it up.

This.

The story, which differs quite a bit from the game, is completely amazing. Ellison might be loony toons, but he was a remarkable writer. This story is some of his best work.

What Pogue said. This came out right when I was obsessed with Harlan Ellison. I didn’t realize it could be run through SCUMM!

What I remember most from this game for some reason is the old Nazi doctor saying “I do not know what to dooo with thiiiis…”

Stuck, again.

Spoilers?

Playing with Ted. I shut the door with help of the icon and the armor. Paralysed the witch. Talked to the maid and didn’t sleep with her. Even repaired the oven. Read all the books and talked to the devil and Ellen. No mirror in sight. What to do next? The only thing I found is the broken glass.

I actually have the hintbook for this at home. If no one (including the Internet) hasn’t answered your question by later tonight, I’ll look it up.

Very cool game.

Lynch, there’s gotta be a walkthrough somewhere. Have you tried Gamefaqs?

Thank you very much, Nightgaunt. Much appreciated. The internet solved my problem in the meantime. Man is this freaking oldschool. I forgot how much I suck at point and click adventures. This is worth it nonetheless I gueee. So different.

Yeah, Pogue. Gamefaqs. I hate walkthroughs though. Hoped i could continue without.

I don’t remember that bit exactly, but what I do remember is that I Have No Mouth… does not succumb to the random BS puzzle syndrome that infected later point & clicks. All of the solutions made sense in the context of the story. Everything that happens is an allegory made manifest by an insane AI that hates humans. As long as you keep that in mind, everything is logical!

Except for the part where Paingod has you try to make a cat-hair mustache out of Dr. Darque’Angel’s pubic hair.

I remember having to play Benny’s story all in one go because of a bug where his sprite was invisible if I loaded a game during his section.

Moar screenshots of your game, Lynch. I love this and Beefeater’s Twilight 2000 thread!

-Tom

You can always go look at http://lparchive.org/I-Have-No-Mouth-and-I-Must-Scream/.