I Have No Mouth, and I Must Scream

LOL, I was such a dork in High School…this was my senior quote. Yeah really…

Oh, I thought Lynch was posting pictures from his own playthrough. :(

Thanks for the link, wilykat, since this is a game I missed when it came out. But I’m mostly interested in vicariously discovering it via Lynch’s playthrough. I love these kinds of write-ups.

-Tom

Is this still for sale anywhere? I’d hate to see him get upset again.

Answered my own question: $32 plus shipping from this site. You have to scroll down to find the IHNMAIMS the computer game. PC or Mac.

You have to print out your own order form - this could be like one of those ARG’s…

Which? The title, or

?

The latter would be much more awesome.

I played through this last year. I think GoG gave it away at some point? Or I bought it from them. Either way I didn’t have any problem finding a walkthrough for when I got stuck.

This sounds neat. I’ll check it out. Thanks!

Owned and played it in high school during the 90’s. Definitely one of the better point-n-click games of the era. Up there with Sanitarium and Beneath a Steel Sky as a few of the non-Sierra/Lucasarts genre games that really stood out.

Can never forget the boxart either.

I have a mousepad with that image on it. Collectible?

He guys, Nightwings from Silverberg is a cool book.

The original novel of this videogame was very short history, and theres not much substance in it, really.

Played the demo so much on an old demo disc and loved it then finally bought the game when I had a Windows XP machine and couldn’t get it to work.

I remember reading the short story during a lunchtime at an old job. It’s a pretty great concept.

Man, that site is crazy. And is just me or does HE’s wife look 12?

Turns out that this is now available through GOG: I Have No Mouth and I Must Scream. On sale for three bucks.

Now available on mobile! This a recommended pick up?

Yeeeeee…eee…eee…sss?

It’s a unique adventure game experience. Harlan Ellison (a unique character, to be sure) wrote and designed the puzzles. Some bits are really good. Some are typical cruddy adventure game puzzles. Overall, I’d say it’s above average for the time. It has adult themes. The tone is dark and despairing. I think if that stuff sounds good (and pre-Telltale adventure games are tolerable to you) or if you’re just a fan of Harlan Ellison, then I’d recommend it. Caveat: I haven’t played the mobile version, so I don’t know how the controls are.

If you really think you’d like to play it, yes?

A friend and I (separately) tried to play through it when it was rereleased on steam a while back and neither of us could actually make it through. A few of the puzzles are just blech, there’s a lot of pixel hunting for things you can use. Maybe it’s more smooth on mobile.

If a unique but awkward old school adventure game is what you want then it will deliver in spades.

Hey, thanks for that weird retro trip o,O

I would say yes. It certainly is different. Not as over the top as the story, but it can be… interesting.

Picked it up. Only $4 so why not? I like it so far. Like most point and click games it can be a little frustrating with not clicking on the right object, or using the right action, but trial and error gets you through most situations. I’ll report more coherent thoughts after I’ve spent some time with it.

I remember this was unusual in that several puzzles had different solutions depending on the mind state of the character you had. When I played it back in the 90s (I think?) the walkthrough I used for it when stuck didn’t help me most of the time, since I seemed to have veered off-path for that walkthrough before I tried to use it most times. I might be remembering wrong, though.

I liked it a lot. Definitely has some of the trappings of adventure games that I don’t like so much (unclear objectives, particular order things need to be done in, etc.), but most of the puzzles made sense and when I got stuck clicking on everything and talking to everyone worked out most of the problems. Though, I had to resort to a walkthrough on more than a few occasions.

But the really engrossing story more than made up for the flaws.

And, now I’m on a bit of an adventure game kick. Any recommendations for tablet games? I’m sad to see there are no Monkey Island games out, but I did see that Grim Fandango as well as Broken Sword are available. For whatever reason I never played those ones, so that seems like a good start.